Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WIP critique please? **updated!

Thanks
    there's something about the spikes that disturbs me. Plus the pants are taking up too much space considering they lack detail.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ok, second opinion.. Thank you about clarification about that wolfhound thing. Loosing the shirt was a good thing too.

However, multiple problems.
    1. The hound/it's snout has almost no depth, it's face, like most of the background feels very flat.

2. The lightning from his hand is very distracting and messes with the depth even more. Also, electrical effect like that is a strong light source that would change your current highlights/shadows structure almost entirely. Hmm.. and if its not intended to be electrical but smoke.. well, doesn't look/feel like smoke, sorry.

3. On the bottom part of the picture you have some relatively strong contrasts and saturation differences (coat & pants vs. background, kneepads vs. pants) where they draw too much attention to stuff that doesn't need attention.

4. The overall color is tinted towards grey-ish.. I believe in english its called "muddy" color. Are you painting with low opacities? Mixing color with low opacity pushes the color tint towards grey. If that is your intention, then okay, but it can flatten things a lot and make them feel dirty.
    The overall color scale is not unified and has a bit too much black-ish in it. (sorry if my earlier message has affected that.. at that time it was to suggest the Darkness part.)

5. If you wish to push to MTG level, the background is as important as the dude. Currently the top right and bottom left of the picture are almost useless in the composition. Either put them in good use or get rid of them. I'd suggest using the smoke (or lightning) and for that do Google image search on "Oil fire smoke".

Aside from the hound head, almost all the problems are about value relations, saturation and the overall color.
    I'll attach another quick cut-paste-scale-rotate pic with color adjustments and small overpaint. Again it's just to show what I'm talking about, not really entirely correct itself..

The key things in my adjustments: Unified colors, pushed Vibrance a Lot, adjusted value relations (contrasts) and saturation relations, cropped and rotated a bit to reduce unnecessary areas and to make composition more dynamic. Less is more with the lightning, unless you want to redo all shadows and highlights.

Notice how the knee pads still stand out too much? Difference on saturation, value and edge sharpness compared to to surrounding pants does that, but the picture doesn't really need it.

Well.. hope that is of some help.

Name:  hounddude.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  78.4 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to samwaulu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samwaulu View Post
    Ok, second opinion.. Thank you about clarification about that wolfhound thing. Loosing the shirt was a good thing too.

However, multiple problems.
    1. The hound/it's snout has almost no depth, it's face, like most of the background feels very flat.

2. The lightning from his hand is very distracting and messes with the depth even more. Also, electrical effect like that is a strong light source that would change your current highlights/shadows structure almost entirely. Hmm.. and if its not intended to be electrical but smoke.. well, doesn't look/feel like smoke, sorry.

3. On the bottom part of the picture you have some relatively strong contrasts and saturation differences (coat & pants vs. background, kneepads vs. pants) where they draw too much attention to stuff that doesn't need attention.

4. The overall color is tinted towards grey-ish.. I believe in english its called "muddy" color. Are you painting with low opacities? Mixing color with low opacity pushes the color tint towards grey. If that is your intention, then okay, but it can flatten things a lot and make them feel dirty.
    The overall color scale is not unified and has a bit too much black-ish in it. (sorry if my earlier message has affected that.. at that time it was to suggest the Darkness part.)

5. If you wish to push to MTG level, the background is as important as the dude. Currently the top right and bottom left of the picture are almost useless in the composition. Either put them in good use or get rid of them. I'd suggest using the smoke (or lightning) and for that do Google image search on "Oil fire smoke".

Aside from the hound head, almost all the problems are about value relations, saturation and the overall color.
    I'll attach another quick cut-paste-scale-rotate pic with color adjustments and small overpaint. Again it's just to show what I'm talking about, not really entirely correct itself..

The key things in my adjustments: Unified colors, pushed Vibrance a Lot, adjusted value relations (contrasts) and saturation relations, cropped and rotated a bit to reduce unnecessary areas and to make composition more dynamic. Less is more with the lightning, unless you want to redo all shadows and highlights.

Notice how the knee pads still stand out too much? Difference on saturation, value and edge sharpness compared to to surrounding pants does that, but the picture doesn't really need it.

Well.. hope that is of some help.
    Thanks for the detailed advice. I can see now looking bad how messy the other one was.
    Unity is something I understand in theory, but in practice I sometimes get distracted from it. I took your advice and attached a Work in progress which looks more focused in color than before. I also fixed the lighting a little bit in the spikes. This is still not done but i better direction i think.
    Attachment 2000519
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by denaliah; July 14th, 2014 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-07-16 at 5.01.10 PM.png
Views: 200
Size:  418.2 KB Another update, change of lighting and foreground

Thanks
    Definite improvement in rage/darkness feel, and nice unity! Though I have to admit half of me still likes the cleanliness of the very first image. Also, the stylized hellhound at the beginning felt more like a spirit animal, whereas now it seems more like just a visualization of anger (though apparently I was the only one who liked the original hellhound? Feel free to ignore me...)

My biggest suggestion at this point is to make it 'tight'. When you clean it up (I know that you've been messing with it a lot and it's a WIP, so you may already know to do this) make sure to focus on clarity. It's very muddy right now. The big wisp of smoke across his legs is distracting, and the background is very hazy and pretty uniform. The wolf could also use a bit more reference, and ideally be shrunk a bit (the eyes are getting close to the edge of the canvas). See if you can give your new rage-filled painting the crispness of the original.

Also, side musing - His face doesn't feel angry enough to me, at least not matching the background and mood of the painting (which has escalated to violent-angry). It feels like he's smirking. He seems self-confident and composed, but I feel like if you're angry enough you're not thinking about yourself, you're thinking about the object of your anger... Less look, I'm a badass and more Where are those ****ers I'm going to shove their bloody eyeballs down their throats. You might try adding just a couple pixels (seriously, like two pixels) to turn his lips down into the slightest frown, and see if you like that better. Or try opening his eyes a touch more to give a hint of rage-insanity. Unless you were going for the confident bad-boy look to start with, in which case all of the above is irrelevant.

Overall I really like the painting though.
    I'll let the experienced people critique anatomy and lighting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Looks great to me
    Nice work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    Looks great to me
    Nice work!
    Thanks, for the tips. I definitely agree with you about the cleaner composition in the first image. I was struggling with the haziness of the image when I tried to make it darker.

Thanks
    Hello again.. Yeah, starting to look nice and some good points from Dahlia. I like the feeling of movement on bottom part of the picture now.
    The thing that jumps out a bit is the crossed leather straps, especially on the left where the studs feel a bit like floating in darkness. This is somewhat similar thing what happened before with the kneepads.. Considerable value difference with the surrounding area plus the straps don't quite follow the mass and curve of the chest and the coat.
    But as you continue, just keep an eye on those value/saturation amounts and relative differences, then you'll be doing fine!

Thanks
    Second op on this image. I feel like where it's going crazy dark and laden with effects it's actually loosing some personality and the appearance is tending towards 'muddy.' I liked the idea of using some visual mechanism like smoke to connect the guy with the wolf... and your initial composition seemed most suited to that.

Just an idea, feel free to ignore!

Name:  dragon_guy.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  482.2 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2