what do you think?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool what do you think?

I finished this piece today and I want to know what i could improve on for my next painting. All critiques no matter how small or harsh. thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BLH911; June 16th, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No crit yet? I'll give it a go, then. I like the colors you've used, although they're a bit too saturated. The edges look great to me. Your main problem seems to be that the shape in the foreground doesn't read well at all. To me it looks like an arch over a river, where the top plane of the arch is darkest, the side plane a bit lighter, and the underside is the brightest. It looks like the river is lit under the bridge too. I know that this is not what you meant, and I think you could sort it out by creating the arch with clear top, side and bottom planes first, then move into texture. When you create the reflection in the river, think carefully about how it would look. You're gonna have both a reflection in the river, and the river being partially in shadow from the arch. You can probably step down the texture to almost nonexistent in the background shapes, and take them down a notch in the foreground too. Put textures where they count, and simplify them out in some parts too. And think of a way to add scale to the arch, be it through textures of clearer scale than rock, or an animal/plant/figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful critique! Easy to understand and a lot of stuff that can be easily applied as well. Ill take this information to heart and be sure to use it in my next painting.

Thanks for the help Nouge.

Members who have read this thread: 1