Cartoon character and anatomy

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cartoon character and anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Cartoon character and anatomy

From the cartoonist perspective (and I suppose any life drawing perspective), I'm curious to hear any critiques on the character design, anatomy, pose...and most importantly, if it looks/feels correct. There's a few things I've already noticed like fattening the right hand on the whisky glass, but I'm sure there's more? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

NOTE: This is all in sketch phase, and not anywhere close to done.

Characters only (pencil only)
    Name:  derp900.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  89.7 KB

Characters / Rough Background / Splash Color
    Name:  check-please-color-sketch900.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  169.2 KB

Update added: 6/19/14 - Base Color and Line Art
    Name:  checkplease900.png
Views: 73
Size:  258.9 KB

Update added: 6/19/14 - Nearly Finished / Shaded
Views: 71
Size:  637.1 KB

PICTURE IS NOW FINISHED: (full 1920x1200 link)
    http://i.imgur.com/kHxMWGu.png

Last edited by fxscreamer; June 19th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a lot I like. However, the right cat seems to have to have upper arms of different length, and lower arms of different length. His right hand needs your attention. The arms of your cats are not jointed to their bodies the right way, it looks like they are coming loose.

As for colours, try to think about a colour scheme. Everything is desaturated, which works in the background, but not in the foreground, except for two bright reds and one dark green shape, making it look unbalanced.

Grinnikend door het leven...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    There is a lot I like. However, the right cat seems to have to have upper arms of different length, and lower arms of different length. His right hand needs your attention. The arms of your cats are not jointed to their bodies the right way, it looks like they are coming loose.

As for colours, try to think about a colour scheme. Everything is desaturated, which works in the background, but not in the foreground, except for two bright reds and one dark green shape, making it look unbalanced.
    Thanks for the tips. I see the arm issues now, so I will definitely work on correcting that. As for the colors, I wouldn't worry. This is just what I call a "splash" job just for definition, but certainly not the final colors. For reference, a piece I did a few weeks ago (similar interior aesthetics): http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d7jpcu5.png

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went and fixed the right hand, and really tried working on the arms. I kept looking at human anatomy (like I should be), and also tried using the line tool measuring each arm section. I was thinking there was a SUPER slight foreshortening on the right arm (whisky glass), but their lengths are nearly identical. I tried a lot, but hope I got a lot closer.

This is the line art with character base color.

Views: 171
Size:  255.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Before worrying about anatomy, focus on fixing the overall basic structure. Nothing is solid in these drawings; you are trying to imitate the contour, where you ought to focus on the underlying structure and volume first of all.

Get "Cartoon Animation" by Blair. See how he uses basic shapes and construction lines to build the base for a cartoon character that can be drawn as a solid from any angle. Get into a habit to begin your cartoons the same way.

"Perspective Made Easy" by Norling won't hurt either. You must learn to think in terms of perspective and volume, not in terms of the page and line.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Before worrying about anatomy, focus on fixing the overall basic structure. Nothing is solid in these drawings; you are trying to imitate the contour, where you ought to focus on the underlying structure and volume first of all.

Get "Cartoon Animation" by Blair. See how he uses basic shapes and construction lines to build the base for a cartoon character that can be drawn as a solid from any angle. Get into a habit to begin your cartoons the same way.

"Perspective Made Easy" by Norling won't hurt either. You must learn to think in terms of perspective and volume, not in terms of the page and line.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered both books. As far as site etiquette goes, should I post anything I'm working on or even "finished" in the same art critique thread, start a new one, and/or keep finished pieces to the "finished" forum regardless? I'm new here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, since ordering the books, I did just about everything I could to my characters during full base color with the anatomy (although I know I have more issues). I also included more clothing folds. I'm still learning about how the gravity and movement affects everything. I also worked with the right cat's arms more, and did some back head adjustments. The background still needs some more work and detail, and some stuff is actually missing, but I'm still in the building stages before shading and texturing starts. A lot more detail happens during the final stages with custom brushes and effects.

Views: 145
Size:  258.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd lose the shirt wrinkles unless you want them to look really disheveled. And even if you do I'd tone them down a bit - they look overdone and unnatural. Also the heads seem to sit too far back on the necks, as if the necks connect to the front of the head rather than the back of it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fxscreamer View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered both books. As far as site etiquette goes, should I post anything I'm working on or even "finished" in the same art critique thread, start a new one, and/or keep finished pieces to the "finished" forum regardless? I'm new here.
    You can post the finished work here and/or there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The square tables in the background should have a common vanishing point, not 3 separate ones. The lines of the seating group on the left should also go towards this vanishing point. Ellipses of the nearer lamps should be a bit more open, as they're further above the horizon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm past the texturing phase now, and I did a lot of subtle things. I backed off the shirt wrinkles a bit on both of them, pushed the left cat's head forward a tiny bit to align the spine more, slumped down and forward the right cat's head as well, fixed the right tables perspective, and a few other things. I really looked at the lamps, but technically they ARE open a little more being closer and bigger, even though they're the same shape. I was worried it would make them look tilted. Anyway, it didn't really bother me.

I know the chairs aren't perfect, but I'm going to try and do some tricks when I begin shading to hide it....maybe (ok maybe that's lazy). This should look a LOT different when it's done being shaded. The reflections on the front bar was something I was testing out, but I may redo them (I've done better reflections before). I may also add a few more details like dishes, but I'm not sure. There will be a lot of things I DO add when it's final like plants, smokey air, dust particles, etc. Getting close.

Views: 115
Size:  537.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp, I'm just about done. If there's any last minute suggestions that aren't TOO crazy, I'm listening. I'll probably release this tomorrow evening otherwise.

Views: 85
Size:  637.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All done! Here's the 1920x1200 link:
    http://i.imgur.com/kHxMWGu.png

And Speed Paint video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dphEEQOO8

Thanks everyone for your help and critiques. It was rough, but I'm constantly aiming to improve.

Members who have read this thread: 38