Art: Alex D'Romero art

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alex D'Romero art

Hello, I have been working on this painting and would like to get some feedback on it. I plan on doing the values first and applying color after. I am having the most trouble with the lighting and making it have a more realistic feel and depth. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice picture! Great set up here, clear communication.

So pretty much you just need to work on it more and push it beyond what you have here in terms of value. It’s clear you have understanding of light and shape, but I am not getting good reads on all those materials. This is a really complicated picture with tons of different textures and surfaces that need to be addressed without making everything seem too busy or over rendered.

So I say keep going with what you are doing. Find the large simple statement of your picture and keep pushing it. Add those occlusion shadows and highlights and Cast shadows after working out the forms in a basic value/lighting structure.

I dropped in a few more values on this, however I do not know what some of the shapes and materials were supposed to be, so I didn’t try to figure those out. To take it further is going to require a lot more time I wanted to do a quick suggestion of how to maybe use the environment to really highlight the characters. Don’t forget to be thinking about the local color of things. Some of those areas might not be as bright as you would think, like on the tree. I’d add a darker background behind the tree to bring out the form instead of just making it lighter.

You’ve got a ton of elements to help bring out those silhouettes, like placing a dark or light cloud behind the hero figure to help him stand out.

A word of caution: if you are putting color on this, I wouldn’t push the values too far beforehand because it’s going to make adding color a pain. You’ll have to re-work a lot of areas if you go too far to lights or darks.

Really nice work.

Good luck!

Name:  pntovertforest.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  168.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is amazing, can I ask you how got you got the perspective grid in there? And will you be doing this in color in the future?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Thanks Jade for the feedback and going through the trouble of showing me. This really helps and I will implement your suggestions for sure. I'll repost this when I've worked on it more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WenDu View Post
    Wow this is amazing, can I ask you how got you got the perspective grid in there? And will you be doing this in color in the future?
    I used a perspective brush. You can get it by just googling "perspective brush". And yes, I will be adding color!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't wait for the color sir

Members who have read this thread: 1