New in concept arts

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New in concept arts

Hi,
    im new in concept arts and in drawing in general want to get some advice how to get started in all this drawing and concept art thing plz give me any usful infomartion
    im able and ready to learn anything that will keep me going I want to know how to start and where to start including pencil control and anything even things that cost money thank you very much=]

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

I suppose I would be considered "relatively new" to all of this myself, but I can certainly suggest a few places to start...

first, pencil control is both perplexingly difficult and ridiculously easy. It's about mileage. Spending enough time using a pencil/brush/stylus will eventually lead to you to confidence with the suggested tool. There are, however, a few things some artists do as warm-ups to help them loosen up and find their rhythm (for lack of a better term i suppose).

This is a fantastic tutorial by Sycra on youtube concerning various traditional techniques such as but not limited to how to hold the pencil, how to sketch, sharpen, etc.

I highly recommend graphite or charcoal to start practicing with as they are forgiving, cheap, and portable.

Second, we should go over what to draw, and perhaps more importantly how to draw...

Let's start with what to draw. As a beginner it's not so much about what as it is about just doing it and doing it correctly. If I were teaching a class with all beginners, I would have a couple of everyday objects set up from the the dollar store, painted in a grey matte paint and strongly lit from a single directional spotlight.(Name:  blogger-image--1686858247.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  133.2 KB
    Then I would run them through a battery of projects... I think I will follow up in more detail about said projects in a second.

How to draw! BOOKMARK THE HELL OUT OF THIS NEXT LINK CtrlPaint

Did you bookmark it? Do so now. I'm serious. This is important.

If you look at the library you will notice Mr. Matt Khor has set up several series of videos, We are currently interested in 2-Traditional Drawing. (I highly recommend watching every single vid eventually)

Those videos are in the order you should watch them in, Matt is a very very good instructor, and even responds to e-mails from time to time should you have a question (I would suggest not bogging him down too much as he is a busy fella, ask here first and I'm sure someone can answer for you.)

NOW WE'RE GETTING TO THE FUN PART!!!! PROJECTS:
    1. Negative Space DrawingExample
    2. Contour DrawingExample
    3. Still LifeExample

After watching these videos and looking at the examples, This is what I would have you do (if I was personally trying to teach you how to learn to draw). Set up a still life with everyday objects and do two to three of each of these assignments in the listed order. (i.e. two negative space drawings before you try a contour drawing and so forth...)

the criteria I would suggest, would be as follows
    • Must have a 1" border around the entire piece (measure out a one inch border from paper's edge and use weak adhesive masking tape so you keep a clean edge)
    • Must use either graphite or charcoal
    • Must use 32" x 24" paper (larger paper forces students to draw bigger and more confidently)
    • The subjects of the scene should touch all four edges of the border (one object could be cut off at two borders or you could have four seperate objects all touching different edges of the border.)

TO CONCLUDE

This is all just how I would suggest you start.... Obviously other people may see it differently, and I could have very well forgotten some steps. You may even consider taking a college drawing course or an independent workshop to have a teacher able to guide you and correct bad habits and mistakes you're making. (in my opinion that's the quickest way to get better quickly)

I should go on to say there's a lot college won't teach you that you can indeed find for better prices on the internet (or in some cases free). But I will say this anything that uses visual art, weather you're an illustrator, concept artist, hobbyist, painter, student, or whatever. It is all founded upon drawing.

SO good luck and feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to answer.

cheers,

Jake (a.k.a. The Courier)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Courier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you help me a lot I will get right to it.
    By the way what you think about the learning seasion in this site its any good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Level up?

I'm still in the middle of doing the first assignment so I can't give a complete review. But I will say the way each assignment is ordered, It's looking like It would shape up to be a good learning tool. I will say this however. Each assignment is very brief in the topic it covers. If a subject is new to you you're not going to learn it by doing one assignment, you'd have to probably do above and beyond the requirements to get anything out of it. But that is normal for anything you will do that's new to you. Everything takes a couple of times before you become proficient at it, and level up doesn't seem set up to make you do enough to be proficient. It will start you down the correct path and order of learning all it has to offer though.

Members who have read this thread: 36