DSG 1724: Shark Attack

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: DSG 1724: Shark Attack

Thanks
    Thanked 5,459 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Follows
    Following

How fast can you swim?

Shark Attack

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woop I'm first! The mammals of the sea are amazing let it be orchas, dolphins, whales or sharks. Think it's time for them to be portraid in a more mysterious way than purely horror-like. Pencil sketch inverted and gradient mapped. The shadow made by the bending of the paper when I took the photo gave the image an unexpected lightsource!

Sharkboy and Junkyard-shark!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nemodab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES! sea creatures (specially deep sea) have always fascinated / scared me. Haha from a very young age..
    But hey, sharks are not mammals they are fish.
    Anyway, really interesting interpretation, the inverted gradient and the little boy in the path of the shark scream "surreal"! Love the composition, but I can't help thinking the boy would've worked better on the right side, and the shark looking in his direction, of course. I mean, in terms of flowing with the curves of the shark.

I found this picture of a shark http://static.betazeta.com/www.veove...ron-blanco.jpg and thought it was interesting (and unusual) how you can actually see a lot of the shark's anatomy... so... I went with it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodSoup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But hey, sharks are not mammals they are fish.
    Shit! See what assumptions makes you do, I blame all the documentaries only showing sharks eating things instead of showing the normal life-to-death process D: I guess the gills give it away.. Shark eggs are really weird!

Thanks for the critique! I always end up using as many curves as possible in my drawings I think because I find it challenging, but one round curve would probably give it more power instead of giving it the "crampled sock on the floor" look x)

I almost said wow out-loud when I scrolled down to your study. Love the textures on the highlights! I mainly just think about where the light should be and what colour, texture/strength/glow is a further step that you show is really important. Do you use the colour picker like me at all or you just using your good sense of colour? I agree it's a really cool photo, got action, movement and a lot of the body! Looks like a happy shark!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol Yeah, documentaries fail to tell that part, for some reason... I remember seeing those egg cases on the beach as a child, but they were dry and black... http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Roker-egg-case.JPG

XD hahah Indeed look like a happy shark. Although I have no idea what is it it's biting on...
    I try not to use the eyedropper, cause I need the exercise of actually trying to figure out the colours, you know. I have shitty eyesight, and struggle to tell some colors apart... blegh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put two days into this one, not finished yet.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Armando, I meant to comment about your image before sorry for the delay! Being a fan of the surreal this really caught my interest. Looking at images like this is like diving into some dream dimension where everything is made of things in the real world but yet something's off and not quite possible. The waves have almost the appearance of crumpling paper and it all sort of merges into the huge face of a shark. It's just something about the framing of the shadows and composition too. Great work, is it finished by now and is it A3 paper? Hope to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply Nemodab. I appreciate the feedback because it's hard to tell if the image is having the effect I want it to or if I'm just deluding myself, hell we all know the feeling. This was the first time I tried to finish a composition, but the thing was after I got this far I didn't think the image had anything left to teach me and also I didn't have the mental stamina to force myself back into the fantasy to push through to the end. That was really the main thing I learned, just the mental effort to stay in the fantasy, I was slipping in and out while doing this one. It's in a Canson field drawing book 9inchesx12inches, it's about 7.5 inches wide in a 9x12 frame.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's definitely finished enough to me and this thread though. It is draining indeed, yet as long as it returns in fulfillment when looking back at the complete composition of your drawing and feeling content about it it's worth it. Picking up the pieces of what you've learnt/studied after a period of time and making into a complete scene is putting a lot of pressure on yourself, but hopefully you'll continue to do so because it's definitely working!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, everyone. Very nicely rendered stuff in here. I went quite a bit looser, but I think it may be worth developing into a better looking piece.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Colorado Kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the scary sharks - this one's on the run though. Let's have some sympathy for the prehistoric chomping machine!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to popicok For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 35