Accepted into VFS 2D Animation, advice please?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Accepted into VFS 2D Animation, advice please?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Accepted into VFS 2D Animation, advice please?

Hi all. I was recently accepted into Vancouver Film School's 2D Animation program, and was hoping you all might have some comments about the school/program? I've read whatever I could find about the school here (cgtalk, awn, etc), but haven't found too much about their 2D program. And unless I'm using the Search wrong, "VFS" is 1 too few characters to search on.

As for my background, I just finished a BFA in graphic design this past May. I'd been looking into doing an MFA program in animation/illustration, but I really want to get right to the point and learn as much as I can. I've heard overall good things about VFS and thought their 2D program was probably the best way for me to get a basic understanding of animation in a short (but not too short) amount of time and then move on to 3D (not necessarily at VFS, although likely). I also reasoned that a year dedicated to drawing, character design, storyboarding, etc. couldn't be a waste (with the required hard work of course). Am I wrong?

I was also accepted into Pratt's graduate computer art program, but haven't really seen too much out of there that gives me the impression it's a good program for animation. Also, at $900 a credit and the cost of living in NY, I'm a bit apprehensive... I'm not too concerned about earning a master's degree at this point and feel that thesis research and whatnot may not be best for me right now.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate any comments/advice you all may have. I already know self study is not what I want to do and I'd like to know as much as I can before I start this heartbreaking process of going into debt.

Oh! Here's the admissions portfolio I submitted to VFS, to give you a better idea of myself. Would love to hear what y'all think of that too.

Last edited by shai; August 5th, 2004 at 01:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey shai,
    I've been through the 2D animation prog at VFS and I'm currently taking the 3D course. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as education goes. The teachers are all top notch and so is the content. I'd just like to suggest that you stay focused throughout. That's good that you have a BFA. You'll be able to process what the teachers say right away. Since VFS was my first introduction to life drawing, I learned a ton more than the people that have degrees already, but also struggled quite a bit more.

The biggest draw back to that school is that once you get in, the upper UPPER administration (not the people in the building, they're awesome people) really don't care about the students. (hell, they were scrambling to install DVD players in all the classrooms as soon as this big bunch of people from China were touring the school. They were literally one classroom ahead of the tour.) Don't let that turn you off though, this place prepares you better than anywhere I can imagine and your skill level will jump at the very least two-fold. Just don't expect to be having [much/any] time for yourself.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for replying! I'm feeling a lot better about my decision to go now. Yeah, I've heard about the upper admin, but as long as the people I'm working with care, I'm happy. In college, not only did the admin see me as a number, but my actual professors weren't very interested either. It'll be a nice change to be around people who enjoy what they do.

Which 3D program are you in, might I ask? I'd like to do the 1yr program to learn more about visual effects and modeling (not just character animation), but the price ... the Maya program at least seems like a good way to get my feet wet, since I don't currently know much 3D.

I was also wondering what the curriculum/schedule is like? They were a bit vague when I asked....

Gah, anyways, thanks again. I'd love to hear anything else you have to say about the program if you feel like sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm doing the one year program. It's far better than the maya program for many reasons, but the price really is a stretch. Although, the Maya program is fine for learning 3D and getting work. If you're anything like me though and have trouble with technical issues (my god, I didn't realize how much trouble I have until this program) then Maya *may* not be the best choice. I've heard from friends that are in maya that in the later parts of the program, if you're having troulbe and need to talk to the teacher, you have to put your name on a list which ends up taking about 2-3 weeks before a teacher will be able to get to ya. and in a 6 month program, that's a little long. But you do learn a ton in the maya program, and classmates are really the best learning resource.

As far as curriculum, I don't know what you mean. You have regular classes and do everything pertaining to animation, pre to post production. Composition, perspective, colour theory, background design, life drawing, doping and slugging, animation (dur), clean up, story concept, storyboarding, digital ink and paint, and flash. I think that's everything.

So yeah, that's all I can think of right now. (Back to my 3D *groan*)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw geez, I suspected as much of the Maya program >_< Maybe I will have to spend a bit more than I hoped to.

Ah, sorry for being so vague. I was wondering what the class hours were like. Like if the classes are back-to-back, spread throughout the day, etc. lol, I guess these are things I should have asked the admissions advisor.

Anyways, thanks for the info! Good luck with your 3D goodness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Soon to be 2d VFS students

i am starting in 2d animation on the 25th of Oct.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome I was up in the air about whether I should start in Oct or January. Really wish I were starting in October too, but I don't think there would be enough time for me to get everything in order. Oh well, January gives me just enough time to get some more drawing and whatnot in before I start at VFS.

What made you decide to go to VFS?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.