Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: COW #323: Epicenter of a Mass Parasitic Organism - WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Here's mine. Went for a biological source, siphoning nutrients from the ground by hijacking trees. Colour scheme is a bit iffy at the moment. I also seem to have misplaced my horizon line at some point and it has really warped my perspective. Little help please?

How do we stand on the "No bloblike masses with no shape" rule in the guidelines? Mine looks like jelly at the moment, but I am planning on refining it more as a solid mass.

Name:  parasite copy.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  113.2 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 686 Posts
    Moirae: you basically need to avoid drawing anything that has no discernable shape, for example if someone were to draw Muk or Ditto from pokemon they would not be accepted, since they are just blobs with eyes and a mouth, if you were to draw something like a jellyfish for example, it still has a base shape and internal features that can be identifiable. Even though when washed ashore they can be just puddles of mush. What you have at the moment is cutting it a little close, but if you start to push the design a bit and add some anatomical features you may be good to go, your creature's anatomy can be as chaotic as you want it to be, so long as there are solid forms present. Also remember the creature must have some indication that it branches out from it's central point.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi guys im new to this thread and i really want to get started with these art challenges!

here are some WIPS i did:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  574.6 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  660.2 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  686.1 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Garanord For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My Parasite Epicenter

Wow! I'm impressed by how much everyone has accomplished thus far!

Colorodo Kid: I like how you are incorporating a unique environment into the project! Does the creature use the theme-park/circus goers as its energy source, or the electricity that would go to the rides? I could imagine a fungi-infested amusement park being a good incorporation of both of your sketches.

.pc: Your piece truly does appear as though the creature has overrun a facility. The perspective and atmosphere was handled beautifully.

Flame_Unquenchable: I'm curious as to how your creature is metabolizing the magma- if it cools it would solidify into rock. Does it use this rock, or does it use solely the heat?

DryShave: Very disturbing. Are you implying she may have given birth to your parasite?

Moirae: I like the purple/green combo thus far. What are the squiggles up top? They appear to be a lattice it sends to neighboring trees, (though my first impression was lightning in that haunted Halloween way, but it would fit if a creature wants to attract electricity- the top of a tree is an excellent place for that).

Garanord: My only suggestion thus far would be to add a little more color in your highlights and shadows so that the grey and brown values are not on monochromatic scales. Is it stealing electricity from the neighboring machines? If so, it would be nice to see where the energy is going or being stored. Being insectoid, does it have workers to defend itself or other mechanisms?

Rob Powell: Definitely getting the Giger Alien vibe! Are the red eyes on the right part of the 'parent' parasite? I would also like to know what the green energy source is and where the nucleus is situated, even if implied only a little.

That's the end of my inquiries thus far. I like hearing the reasonings behind the creatures and their functions!

Well, time to share my progress!

I began with the idea that the Parasite had latched itself onto some ruins in the aftermath of a nuclear war, and that it submerges its tentacles into the waste that floods the area while slowly spreading a network of "roots" and new offshoot parasites. The radioactivity is not only used as a source of energy, but part of their swift and seemingly uncontrollable cellular reproduction- cancerous to a degree. Aside from the radioactivity it dwells in and its flailing appendages, the parasite also has very corrosive spit that it can project a fair distance for self-defense.

A ways into development I realized it actually looked feasible when flipped as well, albeit as a creature that completely submerges itself in the waste liquid and can spread itself without limitations throughout the new 'ocean'. I might flip the head on the 'underwater' one if it is chosen.

I'm wondering which image is more appealing (original on the left, 'underwater' on the right) and what changes I could incorporate to make it seem more like an 'epicenter'. Perhaps if I add more of its growth about more ruins in the distance or extend my canvas I can make it seem like less of a singular creature that could be mobile. So far it looks like a partly-rendered neon monstrosity so my next priority is to also tone down receding parts and to create cleaner definition.

Name:  ParasiteEpicenterWIPFlipped.png
Views: 312
Size:  660.5 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle Gonzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Michelle : Well to answer your question, I had thought that it would pull in the molten magma, and then process it through it's 'legs' and use it to excrete the a rocklike substance further and blanket the areas on the side of the volcano. Also, I had another image sort of showing it's offspring and how this creature reproduces. Little obsidian cocoons are excreted from it's 'brain' area, so it sort of looks like a strawberry with seeds on the outside. Then when the volcano erupts, the main creature is destroyed but it shoots it's offspring up in to the clouds to rain down on other parts of the world, each one hatches and goes off to find another volcano to attach to, and eats magma from smaller floes until they get big enough to reproduce like the one shown in the image above.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Changed my design a bit. The network of tendrils above seems to be causing some confusion, so Have decided to root it to the ground and spread itself out from there. I believe I have the perspective right now, please someone tell me if I'm wrong.
    Trying to move away totally from a shapeless blob, but still not quite there yet.

Name:  parasite2 copy.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  155.2 KB

Michelle Gonzo : It does look like it's floating daintily over the water rather than immobile, maybe showing more of the roots that it uses to tether itself in place might help. Or the inclusion of some of the "seemingly uncontrollable cellular reproduction" may provide a large mass to make it look heavier and more inclined to stay in one place.

Rob Powell
    Might be a stupid question, but is the worm the parasite or the host? A parasite that seeks out other creature's eggs and sinks its tendrils into their brains seems like a cool idea.

Thanks
    Moirae: My intentions were for this to be some kind of cocoon/egg thing, the parasite is the inner creature that sits in a vitreous fluid inside of the cocoon and it continually saps energy which it's tentacles/tendrils gather...

an update...slowly building things up gonna try to push the perspective on the branch arm tentacle thing on the left to help build depth a bit more...also got rid of the eyes on the tentacles to the right because I felt they were a bit distracting from the focal point...
    Name:  Mass Parasite Nucleus copy.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  377.3 KB
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    This looks good - looks a bit like a giant eye as well, which makes it extra weird ..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to popicok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Probably going to submit this as final, not sure I will have time tomorrow to work on it before the deadline. I'd like to actually submit one to the finals, haven't made it in a long time.

Name:  LavaParasite4.png
Views: 54
Size:  276.0 KB

Thanks
    Garanord: Did you submit two entries to the finals? both images you uploaded are painted and rendered in different styles and it's hard to tell if they are part of the same organism or not, I'd like it if you cleared that up for me so I can be sure what's going on...I did say supplementary images were allowed but I need to know that they are indeed associated with one another...

About 24 hours till the deadline for this topic at the time of this post, then a new topic will be available, and I think it's going to be fun one!

Thanks

parasite wips

hi everybody this is a great topic - here are some initial thoughts reference and sketches. Any excuse to look at micro creature photos and I have seen some horrible parasite images
    liking the work, great atmospheric colours for robs entry for rob Powell and cool sketches by bobby Reynolds / Michelle I would go with the underwater version .

spent a while working up images based on orchids then read the rules as to no vegetation. I have uploaded one anyway
    The parasite i am depicting has taken over a space ship and feed off its reactors. The defense mechanism is based on spiky natural defenses and a spore spread infection that binds still living victims and uses their eyes and weapons to defend the core . The ships pilot has suffered a similar fate and is being kept alive to potentially fly the ship ( depicted I'm not sure if i will Attachment 1990539get all the images finished so will have to choose a final submission.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Looking good, everyone. I did another sketch; my hellishly long work week is finally coming to an end today, so I should be able to work on this more later tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by The Colorado Kid; June 25th, 2014 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Just a bit over an hour to get your entries in folks! A New topic will be posted shortly afterwards!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3