PixelObsession - Color and Light 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: PixelObsession - Color and Light 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PixelObsession - Color and Light 1.1

Here's my first self portrait. I used a strong light source, so the edges of my cast shadows are fairly crisp. One thing I learned while working on this is that reflected light, especially when wearing light coloured clothing, causes the overall shadow areas on the bottom of the face to be lighter than at the top.
    Name:  self_portrait_01.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  66.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great self-portrait and brilliant observation! I was just noticing the same thing while doing mine today.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dodus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    indeed great start! I think you could do a little bit more with playing soft parts of the face against those hard shadows, also a little more diversity in the hair. looking good though.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to do anther study taking Ashess' advice. I made the softer parts of the face more smooth than in my first study and I feel this one is much more successful. I kept the hair fairly simple because I didn't want it to draw too much attention from the face, but I did add a little more variety than before.

For this painting I used a natural, diffuse light, which was coming through my window. I found with this type of lighting the transition from light to dark is more gradual and therefore the core shadow is less clearly defined. The value range in the skin was also surprising to me. I originally thought the range in values would be smaller with this type of lighting than it turned out to be.
    Name:  self_portrait_02.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  67.1 KB

Last edited by PixelObsession; June 14th, 2014 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah I like this one way better. still something unsatisfying about how the neck dimple ends. like there's not even a hint of a collar-bone. it'd be a good place to 'close' the piece as this is so close to the border.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post
    oh yeah I like this one way better. still something unsatisfying about how the neck dimple ends. like there's not even a hint of a collar-bone. it'd be a good place to 'close' the piece as this is so close to the border.
    Thanks for your feedback ashess. You're right about the neck. Here's an updated version after fixing it up.
    Name:  self_portrait_03.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  65.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    much better!

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i actually like both of them. the first leans into almost an lucian freud vibe, especially in the lower half of the face. The second one feels a little more natural, which is also nice.

My biggest area of thought with the second one has to do with color range. I see orange, pink and violet primarily...almost a green in the upper cheekbone near the hair. There are blues, teals, and such too...if you really look for them they are there. They are often very subtle.

Is this from a photo?

btw the edges on the most recent one are excellent.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ashess and Jason. The first one is completely from life and the second one is a combination of life and a photo. I had to stand in the second one in order to get the light to hit my face how I wanted and it was getting tiring, so I took a photo and finished it from that.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can tell because of the color use. Observed color looks much different. I would encourage you to give that a shot with a more comfy pose.

You are doing fabulous work. I want to keep pushing you as you need to reach the point with your observational work that when you do use photos, it is impossible to even tell...unless you are purposely trying for a photographic look.

Keep it up!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 33