Armored truck

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Armored truck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Armored truck

I've worked quite a long time on this and it's getting to that point where I'm working a lot and the picture barely changes. Any crits appreciated, especially about how to enhance the mood of the piece and bring the vehicle to life more with lighting/materials/details!

Name:  armored car 10 copy.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  302.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome construction on the perspective and cast shadows and values! I did a quick paintover with some lighting effects, Its not great but hopefully it can give you some ideas.

Name:  qew.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  81.7 KB

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scrt_AgentMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Looks good. I might indeed try to use some kind of overlay for a more dramatic value change and atmosphere, but I would kinda like to refrain from turning on the headlights this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem is that you only have two main local colours in the whole piece- the dark grey of the vehicle and the light grey of everything else. This creates an almost monochromatic look- which doesn't have to be bad, but if you were going for a more realistic feeling you need to adjust the values and local colours of the other objects in the scene and diversify them. You might also want to make the difference in colour temperature (warm for lights, cool for darks) more apparent. The sky's blue will tinge the shadows on surfaces that face upwards and the ground local colour will tinge shadows on surfaces that face the ground. Here's a quick OP, all I did was to paint local colours on top of the objects and set the layer to multiply:

Armored truck

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rene! That quick overpaint looks good! And you're totally right about the lack of color diversity! I guess I'm usually too timid or trying to be subtle with things.

Been a fan of your stuff for a while, by the way! Thanks again, now I now which direction to take

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woooow!! Look amazing!!! =O.. I love the desing. I can´t say a lot, because you draw better than me xD, but I think it´s prety cool =D

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MoniMushi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone have any advice as far as compositional foreground elements? Something that would be really close to the camera, to increase depth? I just can't seem to come up with a anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The angle at which you look at the armored truck suggests that you are in a building with multiple stories or some other elevated platform. Based on where you imagine yourself to be add tiny details around one or more of the edges of the screen to suggest where you are. Since your light-source is coming from the other side of the screen the elements would fall into shadow but also shouldn't be too dark since you don't want to pull attention away from your main focal point.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JayJayVee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added a bit of color and been doing some clean-up. Didn't go quite as far as Benedikt suggested. Might keep working on it. Will add some decals and graffiti I think.

JayJayVee- I will try that, thanks!

Any additional crits still appreciated !

Name:  armored_car_11.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  672.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Car looks super solid, but the image has perspective issues. The cast shadow from the car has a different angle than the buildings, same with the guys. The sun is so far away that the angles should be pretty much identical in a scene like this. Dude in the back is enormous, and the pall's perspective is off too as you see. And I would go warmer in the lit areas or even colder in the shadows, as Benedikt suggested. I know you already adjusted it a bit, but I'd go for moar.

Name:  trucklines.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  240.7 KB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. Yeah, I should try to fix those perspective things.

I've been thinking about this color temperature stuff actually, namely for the truck itself. If the truck is kind of a cold dark grey color, a blueish grey, if you will, then I'm not sure that the color will be warmer in the light than it is in the shadow. The blueish color will become more intense in the planes that are lit + the reflection of the sky just a little bit will add to that. And the unlit planes will be less intense, a dark grey, technically colder than the lit planes but then being significantly warmed up by the bounce light from the environment. Am I wrong?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by z01ks View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I should try to fix those perspective things.

I've been thinking about this color temperature stuff actually, namely for the truck itself. If the truck is kind of a cold dark grey color, a blueish grey, if you will, then I'm not sure that the color will be warmer in the light than it is in the shadow. The blueish color will become more intense in the planes that are lit + the reflection of the sky just a little bit will add to that. And the unlit planes will be less intense, a dark grey, technically colder than the lit planes but then being significantly warmed up by the bounce light from the environment. Am I wrong?
    I don't think I can give you and answere but I think I have the same question as you. I've been trying to render sunlit stuff by just putting a light yellow gradient thats set to a blending mode over my light surfaces. I think it looks like shit but I'm not sure how to tinge the surface more accurately after you put down the local color.

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

Members who have read this thread: 37