Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    The rendering on the factory is really nice, youre getting the dark mood across very well. It feels mysterious and I want to know whats behind the door. Maybe the thirty seconds was a bad example for the figure drawings but it is good to keep them rough, this way you are forced to keep it like a simple skeleton and you cant go into detail with forms. Maybe two minutes could work too but giving yourself endless time will mean that you are going to detail every single pose and I think you want to keep it simple.

Inkem: The How to Draw book is amazing and will teach you a whole lot, till you get it I would watch some youtube videos to understand the very basics of perspective before you start with the book. If you dont know anything yet, youtube one point and two point perspective videos. If you've done that I think going a little bit into elipses could be useful. Or mirroring lines in perspective.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That rendered vehicle looks wonderful. It comes across as pretty solid and occupying 3D space.

Thanks
    @ Dennis Thanks! I want it to have a very clandestine illicit feel to it, as if something corrupt is happening behind the door.
    @Shoebill Thanks! If you ever need help with perspective, let me know!

Some updates! I'll be posting a color update of the factory very soon! Most of my time is being spent learning on the factory so there's less separate studies. As always, I'm open to any critique you guys have! Thanks!

Name:  cyl shad copy.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  234.6 KB

Thanks
    Impressive amount of perspective studies and technical pieces! And your figures are starting to look better, too Keep it up and keep posting! It's very inspiring

Thanks
    Cool factory sketch, looking forward for the next shot! I know you said you want it to be a dark ominous place with a very limited value range, that's cool! I can see now that you put those pitch black spots up there, keep them. I think the image needs them for the contrast. Keep it up! Don't be scared of putting juuuust a few more of those elsewhere in the picture later on. Keep it up!

Thanks
    @Minella Thanks! I'm glad you found them inspiring! Thanks for dropping by my SB!
    @Uiriamu Thanks! Glad you noticed the black spots! I was thinking of using them for contrast but also to "frame" the image and prevent the eye from wandering off. Glad to see it worked!

Got an update on my factory! I think I nailed the mood! I'm in the process of sharpening the values/form because things were very soft and blurry. First one was quickly done to get mood and atmosphere while the second is me sharpening/cleaning up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Forgot to mention, I'm always open to critique, suggestions and comments!

Thanks
    Nice, nice, definately enjoying the rendering on the factory, for some reason from the greyscale I thought it was going to be this grungy, dirty looking thing (Like in the fallout screenshot). But the way it looks now is far more slick, great atmosphere n' stuff. Keep it up.

Thanks
    @Ajams Thanks! Yea I was using very soft brushes to quickly get the mood and values down which coincidentally gave the image a foggy grungy look. I'm going to sharpen up the focal points then add grungy stuff like cracks, photo textures and steam after.

More updates! Some basic rendering of pipes and understanding of values.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    The factory is looking great. I love the moody blue, it really does help with the atmosphere. Plus I've always personally liked this sort of setting so it's all the more pleasurable to look at.

Thanks
    I think you're doing a great work here! I can see all the work gone into those technical pieces, I like the fact that you have a good attention and eye for good detail!

I also liked that you were practicing some figures there as well. Keep on bringing those studies, you are doing very well!

Hoping to see more from you!

Thanks
    Whoa I'm missing a bunch of stuff but it seems to be the same for everyone. Hopefully this gets sorted out. Anyways, some updates on my factory environment and some studies! Cars are the only things I can actually draw Critique at will!
    Name:  1 guy left.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  163.3 KB
    Name:  car render.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  931.2 KB
    Name:  door update 4.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  249.2 KB

Thanks
    I like to think that the lights under the door are because of MY input, but my post got eaten so there's no way of prooving that. But yeah, that door is looking super refined now, reminds me of something out of an actual video game!

Also, nice car.

Thanks
    @Ajams Thanks man! I would say that you deserve all the credit for the lighting up the pathway Looks like my stuff is gone for good...So I'm try and remember what I had and re post.

Thanks
    Re post of lost stuff:
    Name:  round render.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  165.6 KB
    Name:  2 guy cone.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  214.9 KB
    Name:  spheres.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  197.0 KB
    Name:  ball angle.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  163.4 KB
    Name:  rend cyl adv.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  157.2 KB
    Name:  2 cyls shad.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  186.5 KB
    Name:  rend box cyl.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  203.3 KB

Thanks
    Beautifully drawn car! I'm trying to look for something to critique but my eyes aren't trained enough to identify any clear errors.

Thanks
    That car study with pencils, omg. Absolutely incredible, you can definitely tell you always liked to draw cars because you are hella good at it. The factory is looking even cooler than it was before. I think you did an incredible job at making it look like a metal surface. I think that you added some reflections on the ground surface right in front of the door, I am not sure if you did that on purpose but I think it looks really good. There seem to be three reflections though whilst there is only one light? I think the idea of the ground surface reflecting the lights is really cool but not sure if thats what you intended The anatomy is coming along nicely aswell, I can see improvements, I still think you should try to do more simplistic ones so you can do alot more though, I get that you want to apply the things you are learning about lighting and shading on something but I am not sure if the bodies is the best thing to apply it too. Mostly because you need to learn more about the forms of the body to apply the shading correcly, I am having a whole lot of trouble that, I think going for more simplistic shapes likes buildings could be easier to apply the knowledge to. You are making some serious progress and I am digging the factory!

Thanks
    @Shoebill Thanks man! Keep grinding those fundamentals! They're definitely paying off for me and they will for you! Let me know if you need any help

@Dennis Thanks for the compliments! I didn't want strong shadows on the floor in front of the door so I put two small lights to somewhat cancel any harsh shadows and illuminate the walkway. You are right about the anatomy, I should keep things simple and focus on one thing at a time. I'm practicing some rendering on basic shapes and I'll apply what I've learned there. Thanks man!

Some updates! Learning more about one point perspective and how to fit more stuff inside the cone of vision. Been busy with the factory, will post an update soon!
    Name:  notes 1 pt.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  604.1 KB

Thanks
    Hey Crankshaft, awesome perspective studies! It already works pretty well how you combine your geometrical shapes and your lines are also looking pretty straight!
    What could help you to get your lines even stronger is to practice drawing your shapes in a larger scale. For example working on din A3 paper sheets helped me a lot. That forces you to draw out of your ellbow instead of your waist which will make your lines even straighter and dynamic.

Thanks
    @Gregor Thanks! Will definitely try that! I have to keep pushing you with the feedback because you keep getting better!

Got some more studies! Here I learned how to rotate boxes or square corners to each other on the same ground plane. Been mainly busy with my factory, will update soon! Cheers!

Name:  rotating boxes.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  643.1 KB

Thanks
    Hey Crankshaft! Thanks for dropping by to give me a critique, I always appreciate the help!
    One thing about the above studies, for Scott Robertsons book, I've actually just started out by learning about the rotating boxes, cone of vision, etc. since they were on the first pages but it seems you've just started on them now. Should I be following his book in a different order? Or keep going page by page?
    >Sketchbook<

On a quest to improve!

Thanks
    Hey Inkem! Thanks for the question! I think it's important to follow the book in order because eventually he'll assume you know how to multiply/ draw through later on. You're be getting into drawing complex organic shapes so it's important to follow everything in order. I skipped the rotating part because it didn't look important early on and it didn't re appear throughout the book so I got lucky.

Update on my factory! I'm calling this done. I've been recording how many hours I've spent on this and I'm scared to add them all up...However I've learned tons of things here that I would of never learned anyway else. Most of the refs came from my head but to show what they are I've included some internet/google refs of various mechanical objects.
    Name:  door update 5.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  689.1 KB
    Name:  gif-doortt.gi.gif
Views: 912
Size:  1.16 MB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to crankshaft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some examples of refs. Most of these refs are burned within my memory.
    Name:  refs door.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  224.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info, the rotating boxes and cone of vision took a few days to fully grasp, so its good to know those are just concepts to follow - not something you have to do every single time. For the factory door the end product really made it better, the heightened contrast and details at the end really brought the door into focus! I thinks it cool how you softened up the edges on the outer parts so it wouldn't distract from the main focal point.
    >Sketchbook<

On a quest to improve!

Thanks
    Congrats for the Factory vault scene. Atmosphere came out really good!

Thanks
    You've captured a pretty cool atmospere here and im intrigued to find out what is in the vault...on that note an interior view of the vault could be your next image

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    @Inkem You're welcome! Let me know if you have more questions!
    @Lekamie Thanks man! Glad to know I nailed the atmosphere!
    @Mothman Thanks man! That's a great idea!

Doing tons of perspective studies! I think these are very important for any artist regardless if you do technical stuff or natural stuff. These are a result of my curiosity and are a culmination of what I've learned so far. In other words, I'm combining what I've learned to learn more!

Here I learned how to properly converge a true square or circle in perspective from a front view. I also learned a circle will always tangent 2/3 on a diagonal from the center of the square.
    Name:  circles in sqaures.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  531.6 KB
    What happens in perspective when you have concentric ellipses? Certain parts are thicker and thinner. The outer edges sharpen as they get away from the horizon line.
    Name:  ellipses to hl.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  489.5 KB
    What happens when you have non parallel sides of a box in perspective? Using the top view to design the angles first then transfer their vps in perspective after.
    Name:  sqaure and even faces.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  635.2 KB

Thanks
    How to rotate boxes in perspective using info from Scott Robertson and top view. This also shows the distance from each other.
    Name:  top view rotate boxes.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  637.4 KB
    Same thing but with boxes that don't have parallel sides. Notice the amount of vps now.
    Name:  uneven faces.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  577.9 KB
    What happens to the vp of ramp that's on a turned/rotated box? Use that box's vp to determine the proper convergence.
    Name:  true sqaures in per.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  628.5 KB

Thanks
    Finished factory looks great, however I can't shake the feeling that adding more luminosity to those projections would really help. They feel to washed out for what are essentially meant to be holograms, and therefore made entirely out of light. Also, I don't know if it was intentional or not but the thing to the left of the door totally looks like a video game controller, does this factory make gamecubes?

Thanks
    great work with the factory! I can see all the hard work that has gone into it.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.