Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Yay updates!

Hey guys! Got some updates on my factory door. I've also included some reference pictures I've taken myself from before. I love engineering Crankshaft's art. 90% of the lines done in the final stage were done freehand. I want this painting to be all me and I redid each line about 10 times until I felt that the line was clean enough.

Quick rough stage getting major forms and design ideas.

Crankshaft's art

Slight clean up and checking perspective.

Crankshaft's art

Very heavy perspective check up making sure there are no interferences and the structures can physically exist.

Crankshaft's art

Bare bones detail and lots of clean up.

Crankshaft's art

My own references.

Crankshaft's art

References off the internet of an old fashioned electrical dynamo and a door from Fallout 3.

Crankshaft's art

The original paper drawing.

Crankshaft's art
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0000 View Post
    man you're a natural for the hardsurface stuff, all you need is to work at the foundation and youre ready to go. And go runnig to your library and get a copy of figure drawing desing and invention by michael hampton (i can see his method fitting your style) because you need to work harddd on your figures.
    Thanks! Yeah my anatomy needs work. If only the human body was made out of metal... By the way the link to your SB isn't working and I'd like to see your work

Thanks
    Great focus on structure! I really like the mech drawings too.

I recommened doing some more gestural drawings to loosen up. I think too much structure can result in drawings becoming overly stiff so it's a good idea to balance it out with loose, gestural work.

Thanks
    So I just had a look at everything in this thread, and I have to say very impressive man. Theres some really cool stuff like the battleships and dat tank. It's clear that you have a real passion for this kind of thing. - I like to try and be helpful, but at the same time dont have a darn clue about technical drawing but I'll give it a try. Like what some others have said I think the elipses need work, and I don't mean this as a negative, I think it's more of a matter of your skill level being high enough that the imperfections become more noticable.

Secondly the gesture drawing, yeah like I said before you've clearly followed what you're interested in. And while they aren't as good as your hardsurface drawings I think it all boils down to a matter of time spent. So really you're doing the right thing to address this now with putting in the hard work.

Hope something in there was helpful.

Thanks

Updates yay!

More exciting updates! Yay! I think my studies are paying off because I feel that I can "see through" so much easier. Also perspective is becoming more understandable.

@Shoebill Thanks! I'm thinking of doing some environment paintings later on to try my hand at organic forms.

@Ajams Thanks! I love technical stuff! I'm also making sure to include anatomy in my routine

Thanks
    That anatomy has improved alot and the technical stuff is looking very promising. The fact that you spend so much time checking if everything is correct in perspective is impressive. Couldnt see anything wrong with it. Hope to see it rendered completely soon!

Thanks
    Nice work!

I really appreciate your love for understanding your subject on a technical level, this type of research and planning always shows in the final piece.

You're right the studies are definitely paying off and enabling you to express your own original ideas. Keep it up, its great to see you progress.

Thanks

Studies

More studies! Studies are good for you

Did part of the door in perspective to see how things would work. I'm currently trying different compositions of backgrounds for the factory piece.

Thanks
    @Dennis Thanks! I'm actually a bit worried about rendering since I haven't done a lot of rendering lately, mainly perspective studies. We'll see!
    @ Mothman Thanks! Your SB is great! I wish I could render like you

Thanks
    Yay more updates and studies. Learning how to cast shadows, draw through, and how to manipulate volumes.

Thanks
    Good progress man. Astonishing amount of studies you've done. How are you doing your figure studies by the way? They've improved, but only just so.

Thanks
    The figure in your most recent post is definately the best so far, I think what you need to consider a bit more is the relationship between the upper torso and the pelvis. Because where I think you get caught up the most is the mid section between the two, and since thats not working, the upper and lower body don't communicate right.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    @Ajams Thanks! I'll need all the anatomy help I can get
    @ Nymx I was using some of the figures in Successful Drawing by Loomis. Yeah I definitely need to spend more time on them but technical studies are so much more fun

Alright more updates! Learning lots! These are studies that are related to my factory environment.

Thanks
    Well, you're making progress and that's something. Keep it up dude.

Thanks
    @Nymx Thanks man!

More updates! Studies are like veggies. They're good for you. Except you can't eat them.

Thanks
    I think soon you should take what you've been learning and try applying it to a real life object. For instance take something simple like a cup with a handle or a bottle and construct it in perspective. Something similar to this:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~twbuie/adn281/...mis-SD-027.jpg

Thanks
    More updates! Learning so much from Scotts books and my own studies. I don't often draw planes but here I learned how to draw wings on different x and y axis. Will give an an update on my factory soon!

Thanks
    @ Shoebill Thanks man! I already did something similar with my still life flashlight, where I deconstructed the "anatomy or inside" of it. Thanks for dropping by!
    Wip update! Hey guys! Super excited to show you an update on my factory! All that perspective grinding is paying off! I'm really proud of this even as it is. I paid particular attention to having good composition and flow to the focal. Rendering on the other hand might be a bit challenging... Please tell me what you think! Be as harsh as you'd like

Thanks
    More updates! I'll probably have to do some practice rendering before going ahead with the factory. Here I learned to cast shadows from cylinders and what happens to front diagonals in 1 point perspective. Never stop learning!

Thanks
    It's great to see more of these studies and that you're constantly trying to gain a deeper understanding of your subject. Though I do think you should just have an attempt at rendering the factory, as sometimes the best way to highlight what you need to focus on learning is through the mistakes you make. Just gather some relevant reference, decide on colour and lighting early on and give it a go, there can always be a "Factory Version 2" at a later date

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the factory image progress

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice and tip with my winter-ship!
    You are making progress with the perspective seriously and that factory-vault-scene is going to be something. Must keep it coming! never give up.
    I agree with the Mothmans counseling about rendering the scene. Put it down, learn, put it down again. Cheers!

Thanks
    The plane looks fantastic. Well done!

Thanks

Updates!

Hey guys! Got some more studies! Been working hard on the factory lately. Will post an update and more studies real soon! This is a one point perceptive study where I learned that front facing diagonals stay parallel to each other.

Thanks
    @Shoebill Thanks!
    @Lekamie You're welcome. I try and help people as much as I can but I'm still a beginner myself
    @Mothman Great idea! I'll probably keep the rendering and lighting fairly simple due it being a weak area for me.

Thanks
    This perspective work is amazing, I can already see studies that I will be doing today and some I have also done. They are looking really good and I think How to Draw is teaching us a whole lot! The anatomy still needs alot of work but youre improving. I still think it would be better if you tackle figure drawing with a more basic approach, first draw a really simple skeleton, so just lines for arms, legs, body etc. This way you dont have to think about the forms of the flesh on top of the skeleton and it is easier to draw people in certain poses. Using this site: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ can also help a great deal. Draw quick skeletons of the poses you see for about thirty seconds and I think you will rapidly improve your figure drawing that way. This piece with the door is looking very promising and I really enjoy seeing all the perspective stuff you have used to make it. Shows me how all the stuff I'm learning on perspective will apply to my drawings.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    More updates! Learned lots about rendering here! I'm pretty happy with the end result. I'll post an update of the factory real soon!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    This perspective work is amazing, I can already see studies that I will be doing today and some I have also done. They are looking really good and I think How to Draw is teaching us a whole lot! The anatomy still needs alot of work but youre improving. I still think it would be better if you tackle figure drawing with a more basic approach, first draw a really simple skeleton, so just lines for arms, legs, body etc. This way you dont have to think about the forms of the flesh on top of the skeleton and it is easier to draw people in certain poses. Using this site: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ can also help a great deal. Draw quick skeletons of the poses you see for about thirty seconds and I think you will rapidly improve your figure drawing that way. This piece with the door is looking very promising and I really enjoy seeing all the perspective stuff you have used to make it. Shows me how all the stuff I'm learning on perspective will apply to my drawings.
    @Dennis Thanks bro for the compliments! I'm getting Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis (I prefer a hard copy of the book) and I'm excited to learn more! I tried the 30 sec thing, I think it's too quick and rough for me. I prefer doing the skeleton and whole body instead. If you ever need help with perspective let me know!

Thanks
    Since you seem to know quite a bit about perspective, do you have any reccomendations for resources besides Scott's book? I'll definitely get it but in the meantime I was just wondering where I can get started? And about the life drawing, starting out with 30 seconds can be counter-productive, when first starting its best to take as much time as you need to get a good gesture and structure down, speed comes naturally.
    >Sketchbook<

On a quest to improve!

Thanks
    Update on my factory! Basic rendering, getting the mood and lighting down. I'm very happy with it! First one is with lines and second is just values. It's going be a dark ominous environment so there's going to be a lot of soft lost edges and the value range may be skewed. I've also included the original line work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 941 Posts
    The factory is looking tight crankshaft! I look forward to see it finished. Your perspective has improved a great deal since last time I checked.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.