Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks

About the ships

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    I cant see the images from your latest post, not sure if that is something with CA or if you have uploaded wrong? That ship is woooow, did you make a light sketch of it and then go over with a harder pencil or how did you do that. Surely those lines arent all done in one go, because that is some seriously impressive line control. It looks absolutely beautiful I think that it could sell for quite some, or is it like A4 sized? Would be beautiful to see in color but alot of work, really like the extreme amount of detail in it. Great piece!
    Thanks for the comment! Yea I'm having some issues with uploading images. They sometimes disappear after I logout. The Star of Vista is done on two pieces of bristol board paper put together. It's roughly 32 in long by 17 in tall. Regarding the ships(s) they weren't done in one shot. I do many sketches using references. Once I get the final overall idea/feel down I'll move on to the bigger paper. Once the lines are all down I'll measure everything making sure everything is in alignment. Then I add details then I clean up. There's more involved but that's it in a nutshell.

Back then, when I drew things like those ships I would pretend that I was an "engineer" as in all the drawings would be done as line drawings in isometric perspective with little tone work and all details exposed.

I'd love to get them scanned and sell them, but I don't know where you'd go to get artwork that big scanned. Thanks for dropping by!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymx View Post
    Loving your rendered cars and ships. I think you have an issue though with the texturing of things. All of your surfaces seem to be identical in it's smoothness. But that could be just me.

I'm also noticing something about your figure studies and they seem to have you spending too much time trying to nail the outline, and i think you're cleaning them up as you go.

If you're doing the timed based exercises from sites like http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ , i highly suggest (this is something one of my lecturers told me, but im not entirely certain if it's correct as i had conflicting opinions pressed on me) for the sole purpose of figure drawing, do NOT lift your pencil off the paper for the figures that take the 30s and 1 minute pieces.

Focus solely on how the body is constructed. Dont bother erasing the lines jumping from place to place inside your figure, just keep going.
    Only for the other pieces where you get more time do you spend time to erase and fix (within the allocated time of course). This helped me understand the general form better, personally. I was instructed to use A2 Newsprint and using charcoal or conte sticks for the lessons.

But yea, looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Thanks for the advice. Texture is a weakspot for me as with anatomy and many other things. You are completely right about everything with my gesture poses. For someone that draws mainly machines they're very hard for me to grasp. I find things get very messy quickly when I don't erase. You advice is very helpful!

Thanks
    Some more old pieces.

Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by crankshaft; November 22nd, 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not certain if it's what you're going for but i just realised upon looking back at your work, aside from your paintings you may be possibly working with too much outlines in the final and IMO it's sort of "limiting" the work and adding more noise than it should have?
    Not sure how to phrase it properly. Not that you can't, mind. Just my opinion.

Okay, I understand your battleship is an old piece, but 1. i'll point out that immediately you can tell the perspective is quite different and the ships don't seem to be quite lined up with each other either. 2. I find the main ship in there to be very noisy in terms of detail and i think it's choking the image. Granted i think you put a lotta effort into what each section does. I'm liking the front of it. Shadows dont seem to be half bad? 3. Nitpicking, but considering your destroyer's shape/form all the silhouette ships in the background look really out of place as they're all more curvy in form.

Keep it up dude!

Thanks
    Thanks for the critique! You are right about everything. These pieces are about 5-6 years old so I didn't know any fundamentals. All i knew was "design" or to add mindless details. I've only been studying the fundamentals for a year now. Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Wip Still life. Spending lots of hours on it. First time drawing/painting in color. I'm learning lots from it.
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    Old drawings. There are may issues with the fundamentals here. My version of the Hilda Garde from FF9.Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    Some of my first gesture studies that I forgot to upload.
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    Really liking your airship design apart from the overly strong outlines.
    Are you currently too busy to create new work? Just curious is all - you seem to be uploading a lotta older work. (totes understand, as im having recent issues at work lately to find time/energy to draw.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymx View Post
    Really liking your airship design apart from the overly strong outlines.
    Are you currently too busy to create new work? Just curious is all - you seem to be uploading a lotta older work. (totes understand, as im having recent issues at work lately to find time/energy to draw.)
    Thanks for the critique! Regarding your question, the answer is yes and no. I work 10+ hours a day so time is hard to find. Also I'm working on that flashlight still life and there's a lot of recent artwork that I just haven't uploaded yet. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks

Studies

Some old studies and new studies. I learned a lot about brush control with the color practice worksheet!Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    Old artwork.
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Gesture studies. I'm working smaller from now on to focus on the forms.
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    Recent work. Update on still life as well.
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    Your technical drawings are just so amazing, I have never seen anyone who had a bigger gap between technical drawings and organic drawings, that is not an offense but you are just alot better at technical drawings then at organic forms. I mean these airships looks absolutely stunning and the gestures need alot of work, I think you should try a bit more organic forms and things to draw. Draw a bit from life since then you will get both organic and technical looking objects that you can draw. The gestures are looking better but I think you shouldnt just outline them. Right now you are not thinking about the underlaying form, like the necks, they are really weirdly shaped and the proportions on the arms are very often off too. I think you should start simpler with something like a skeleton to make it easier to see mistakes. And continue doing amazing with these technical drawings I loved the airships!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 941 Posts
    Dennis is right, your technical drawings are quite impressive and they will be even more impressive as you grow in your knowledge of proper construction. One thing you sure want to pay more attention to is properly drawing ellipses. I added some feedback on one of your drawings. Hope it helps and keep up the awesome work.

Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    @Fantasyartist Thanks for the critique! I recently bought some of Scott Robertson's books so now I have a better understanding of ellipses. That piece is old and now I can spot a million errors with it

@Dennis Lol you are so right about my gap with anatomy and technical studies. I'm now debating whether I should just focus 100 % on technical stuff instead. I'm not really into anatomy, but "everyone" says it's important to know.

Here are some (maybe last?) studies of anatomy.
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks
    I'm glad it was useful. Scott Robertson's books and videos are indeed a great resource to have in your library. I still check his stuff from time to time.

Regarding figure drawing, consider that it has little to do with anatomy. It is as much about describing form in space as drawing technical stuff. Some people like both and some tend to prefer focusing on one. I think it is good for an artist to learn to do both and later focus on one if he or she desires. That way you know your focus is a choice and not a limitation.

Thanks
    The flashlight looks great! The intricacy in your designs is amazing. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Definitely not only focus on the technical stuff. Your anatomy and figures are improving. I read back on the first page and it says your Dream is to become a concept artist and this wont be posssible if you are just amazing at technical drawings, if this was only a hobby than it could work but if you want to become a concept artist your anatomy and figures have to improve. You are on the right track already though.

Thanks

Updates

@Dennis Thanks for the advice! I'm taking a different approach to anatomy. This time I'm going to try and draw most of the figure to get the proportions and landmarks understood and hopefully memorized. I find these studies to be quite fun and I feel like I'm really improving. Also they're quick and easy and I can focus on seeing the body's "forms," such as where to apply shadows etc.

Along with the flashlight I'm also working on a technical door located inside a factory. Here are some rough initial thumbnails and references to show how I got my ideas.
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art

Thanks

Updates

Finally finished the flashlight still life! Spend long but meaningful hours on it. Learned lots about lighting and color (occlusion shadows, specular highlights, warm/cool hues, reflected light, color saturation, value just to name a few I also learned how to use Photoshop more efficiently. The reference photos don't really represent what my eyes see but they'll do for now. The last picture is the finished one. The picture looks dark but I put lots of detail into it.
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Last edited by crankshaft; December 14th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks

Updates

Merry Christmas everyone! Happy New Year as well! Some updates from Scott Robertson's books. I'm currently working on the factory right now and I'll post a wip soon.
    Last edited by crankshaft; December 19th, 2014 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Really loving your car drawings and your hard work with studing perspective, it's really inspiring.

Since you're a mech guy, i would really like to see more robot stuff- just a suggestion.

Awsome work and keep it up !
    CD /// dA

Thanks
    Great job on that flashlight crankshaft! It´s really well executed. The only thing I´m missing is some color variations in both light and shadow areas. I know the photo is not 100% the same as what the colors look like in reality, but I can see some hints of yellow orange in the shadow and yellow green in the light side. Adding these variations in colors will make your paintings look more true to life. Objects are hardly ever just one flat color. I look forward for more .

Thanks
    Great studies man! I can't wait to see the factory! Those door concepts look awesome-so intricate and detailed. Keep it up crankshaft!

Thanks

Updates

@Drangning Thanks! The studies are hard but I feel like I'm really moving forward!
    @Fantasyartist Thanks! I'm really proud of that flashlight. It's my first official digital painting.
    @Silv Thanks! Yes I love machines! Stay tuned for wip updates of the factory door!

Some updates!

Thanks

More updates

Hey guys! Hope you're all having good holidays! Some studies that I had to when doing the factory door. I couldn't understand the spacing of objects and whether there would be interferences. Eg If you have a pipe descending downwards what angle would the pipe have to be to not touch other objects behind it. So here are some studies regarding that problem.

Thanks
    Updates

Thanks
    These are AWESOME! Especially because I'm personally so terrible at perspective/technical stuff. Keep it coming! It's great inspiration

Thanks
    man you're a natural for the hardsurface stuff, all you need is to work at the foundation and youre ready to go. And go runnig to your library and get a copy of figure drawing desing and invention by michael hampton (i can see his method fitting your style) because you need to work harddd on your figures.
    Blood, Sweat and Tears
    SKETCHBOOK

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.