Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Crankshaft's art

Hey guys. New here. I'm a mechanic and I like drawing mainly cars and fantasy art, particularly hard surface objects such as ships, vehicles etc. Here's a car drawing I did for my uncle. Unfortunately because of its size (22.5 by 28.5 inches) I couldn't get it scanned so I had to make due by taking a photo of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to crankshaft For This Useful Post:

Thanks

More pieces to add

Hey guys. Here are some more old drawings and sketches. C and C are welcomed.
    Name:  ferrari.jpg
Views: 17603
Size:  383.2 KB
    Name:  mercedes.jpg
Views: 17511
Size:  357.1 KB
    Name:  ae86.jpg
Views: 17713
Size:  815.6 KBName:  nismo.jpg
Views: 17539
Size:  407.3 KB

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crankshaft For This Useful Post:

Thanks

fantasy art

I'm going to take a break from drawing cars since I'm not learning much from drawing them. Here are some images from my latest piece.
    Name:  turbine scan 1.jpg
Views: 17729
Size:  806.4 KB
    Name:  turbine scan 2.jpg
Views: 17584
Size:  822.1 KB
    Name:  turbine.jpg
Views: 17465
Size:  1.08 MB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crankshaft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First time drawing anatomy. Coming from a background of drawing mainly machines and cars these were very hard. Definitely need to work on my speed and getting cleaner lines.

Name:  scan0011.jpg
Views: 17328
Size:  228.1 KB
    Name:  scan0013.jpg
Views: 17264
Size:  233.9 KB
    Name:  scan0014.jpg
Views: 17205
Size:  274.2 KB

Thanks

Tone/form studies

Practice on tone using a picture of my left hand.
    Name:  hand.jpg
Views: 17137
Size:  557.5 KB

Thanks

Old artwork

Some more old artwork. I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy games. They're one of my biggest sources of inspiration and reference material. Coming up with ideas/designs and line are my only strengths. Currently focusing on fundamental studies, particularly light, shadows and perspective.
    Name:  ragnarark.jpg
Views: 17051
Size:  504.5 KB
    Name:  airship.jpg
Views: 17077
Size:  526.8 KB
    Name:  cannon.jpg
Views: 16930
Size:  296.3 KB

Thanks

Studies on light and form

Some still life studies. Learned a lot from this study, such as occlusion shadows, how to render smooth transitions/graduations. I also learned a lot on the digital side, such using layer masks etc. I'm still new to using a tablet and photoshop.
    Name:  vase.jpg
Views: 17035
Size:  180.2 KB
    Drawing of a Warthog for my friend. This is an old piece, and now I can see some perspective issues with the wheels, particularly the back ones.
    Name:  warthog.jpg
Views: 18415
Size:  680.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. Your words inspire me truly and will get me work even harder.
    You got some nice designs in those sci-fi drawings. Particularly I like that T-3 tank! Keep it up!

Thanks

Perspective Studies

Studying perspective from Andrew Loomis. Going deep with my studies. I write using my own short form. If you guys see any errors or areas for improvement, please let me know.

Name:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 16782
Size:  210.1 KB

Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 16739
Size:  255.0 KB
    Name:  scan0004.jpg
Views: 16706
Size:  207.5 KB

Thanks
    Hey i can see from your notes that you are trying hard to understand perspective, that is really good. I just wanted to tell you that i thought Andrew Loomis book`s approach quite difficult. I can suggest you Perspective made easy, from Ernest R. Norling(as the tittle say, it is easy to understand hahaha). I am sure you can get it at a really good price at amazon, if you don`t find any other resource.

And i also would like to complement you on your space ships, they really detailed and creative.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vanvanmar View Post
    Hey i can see from your notes that you are trying hard to understand perspective, that is really good. I just wanted to tell you that i thought Andrew Loomis book`s approach quite difficult. I can suggest you Perspective made easy, from Ernest R. Norling(as the tittle say, it is easy to understand hahaha). I am sure you can get it at a really good price at amazon, if you don`t find any other resource.

And i also would like to complement you on your space ships, they really detailed and creative.
    Thanks for the tip. Some of Andrew Loomis examples are rather technical. I going to try and post more content/replies but my schedule is always busy. Your light studies are looking good as well.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums! The car renderings are amazing, you can see you have done alot of those. You can also see you have mainly drawn technical stuff and not as much anatomy. The fantasy environment you did was very cool but the perspective is off by quite a bit, but I see you are getting into that now so maybe when you feel like you understand it a bit more try and go back to that environment and check the perspective and try and fix it. For the hand anatomy I try and find some bone structure references because its to fluid, there are more edges and not just one fluid line for the fingers, think this will be a great sketchbook with great improval to be seen. BTW it would be nice if you could tell us a bit more about yourself like what age and what you want to do with your drawings, hobby, work.

Thanks

Study, study, study

More studies! Wohoo! These are actually quite fun to do even though they can get very technical. Right now I'm doing mainly studies but I'll try to get some personal work uploaded. I just wish I had the time!
    Name:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 16467
Size:  212.6 KB

Name:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 16464
Size:  225.1 KB

Name:  scan0010.jpg
Views: 16475
Size:  273.2 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Welcome to the forums! The car renderings are amazing, you can see you have done alot of those. You can also see you have mainly drawn technical stuff and not as much anatomy. The fantasy environment you did was very cool but the perspective is off by quite a bit, but I see you are getting into that now so maybe when you feel like you understand it a bit more try and go back to that environment and check the perspective and try and fix it. For the hand anatomy I try and find some bone structure references because its to fluid, there are more edges and not just one fluid line for the fingers, think this will be a great sketchbook with great improval to be seen. BTW it would be nice if you could tell us a bit more about yourself like what age and what you want to do with your drawings, hobby, work.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the structure picture, (it's actually a sci fi powerplant with a turbine in the back) I was very careful on preparing the perspective before going too far. Here's are perspective grids overlaid on top. I'm planning on a doing a digital color version but I've post phoned that to focus on the fundamentals. Personally, other than some minor details I think I got the perspective mainly correct but I would like some second opinions.

Name:  right vp.jpg
Views: 15929
Size:  1.05 MB
    Name:  left vp.jpg
Views: 15908
Size:  1.43 MB
    Name:  turbine wip.jpg
Views: 15892
Size:  768.6 KB
    About the hand, yes you are right! I completely failed on that part. Will do some skeleton studies of the hand.

About myself, I'm 23 and I've been drawing ever since I was little. I never took it seriously until recently. My dream is to become a concept artist (like everyone else here). I'm a full time automotive mechanic repairing cars. I grew up strongly influenced by games such as Final Fantasy and mechanical engineering, such as cars. They're my biggest influences. Working on cars is great for understanding how things work which is great for drawing machines etc. I have a through understanding of automotive engineering which tends to show in my drawings. I've never been to art school but I'm very good at structuring my drawing studies. Even through I'm happy with it, the job has its share of flaws. Long hours, low pay, harsh work environment...Not sure if I'll do it for much longer since I feel like it's detracting from my art dream. However, I still consider myself fortunate.

Thanks

Still life studies

Name:  glasses 2.jpg
Views: 15823
Size:  110.1 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 15783
Size:  263.8 KB

Self critique/notes:

I chose a simple boring object (my glasses case) because my goal here was to focus on understanding light and value and getting use to the tablet. I've tried to capture the reflections as accurately as I can but for some reason the piece looks "dead."I think it could the poor original setup/composition or distracting background. There are definitely measurement/angle errors. My next still life I will focus on having good initial composition and color. If there's anything else you guys see, please let me know!

Thanks

More studies

Some perspective and anatomy studies. I'll currently doing some personal/imaginative work as well and I'll try and apply what I learned to them.
    Name:  scan0006.jpg
Views: 4864
Size:  225.4 KB
    Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 4862
Size:  258.2 KB
    Name:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 4825
Size:  237.0 KB

Thanks
    Nice cars!

should get the scott robertson bookss, if you are into hard surface stuff.
    Guess you know him but if not:

https://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign

Keep on!

Thanks
    Thanks phomeone! Actually I'm thinking of buying some of his books once I get a chance. Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook!

Thanks
    That first car drawing you posted is just amazing! The last still life looks pretty good too. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanks dragging! I'm working on a color still life next! Having lots of fun! Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook.

Thanks
    More perspective studies. I'd like to get my hands on Scott Robertson's books since he does a lot of what I like to draw as well. Do you have to order them online or can you buy them from a store?
    Name:  scan0001 copy.jpg
Views: 4823
Size:  337.7 KB
    Name:  scan0003 copy.jpg
Views: 4767
Size:  364.9 KB
    Name:  scan0004 copy.jpg
Views: 4765
Size:  304.7 KB

Thanks
    I think you can buy them from some stores but if theyre dont have it just order online. The rendering of the glasses case blew me away, that looks fantastic! Really like the smoothness of the lines and the reflecties on the top part, it looks as much as an object can be alive to me, you did a great Job on that. You are working hard on your anatomy, try and always use the same shapes for the skeleton though, you can try out some things but its easier to get used to drawing it with the same shapes. I think the round approach resembles the reality a bit better than the last you did. Great studies and you are working hard, seeing the improvements already. Good Job!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Buy it from Amazon or Scott's own website - http://designstudiopress.com/

Your hard surface and rendering is very good, your perspective looks slightly off at times but it may be my eye. If it is off it's only slightly and imo wouldn't require much work to perfect.

You've got a great foundation and are obviously motivated and intelligent enough to find the best way to improve!

Speed comes with practice, I wouldn't worry about that at the moment. As for cleaner lines, personally I 'ghost' my lines and draw very lightly, I then go over them again with a firmer touch to finalise them.

Keep going and concentrate on what you're into, if anatomy isn't your thing then so be it. Scott Robertson and Feng Zhu get by just fine without being masters at it.

Keep it up, it's only a matter of time & effort!

- - - Updated - - -

Buy it from Amazon or Scott's own website - http://designstudiopress.com/

Your hard surface and rendering is very good, your perspective looks slightly off at times but it may be my eye. If it is off it's only slightly and imo wouldn't require much work to perfect.

You've got a great foundation and are obviously motivated and intelligent enough to find the best way to improve!

Speed comes with practice, I wouldn't worry about that at the moment. As for cleaner lines, personally I 'ghost' my lines and draw very lightly, I then go over them again with a firmer touch to finalise them.

Keep going and concentrate on what you're into, if anatomy isn't your thing then so be it. Scott Robertson and Feng Zhu get by just fine without being masters at it.

Keep it up, it's only a matter of time & effort!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Liquidsun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Dennis Thanks! Your comment makes me work harder! As for the glasses case, my goal was to capture the smoothness and proper reflections/light. Mission accomplished!
    @Liquidsun Thanks! Your words are truly inspiring! I admit anatomy isn't my thing but because it's everywhere I think I should still learn it.

Thanks

Studies

More studies. I still find ellipses hard to get into perspective (mainly things like the tilt, degree of rotation etc).

Thanks

Some old artwork

Some very old artwork. My focus back then was more on design rather than following fundamentals. A lot of these pieces have isometric perspective, meaning nothing converges. However, they do a good job of portraying my love of technical detail and imagination.

The Star of Vista. A flying Titanic. Ideas came from the Prima Vista ship from ff9.
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Crankshaft's art
    Last edited by crankshaft; November 22nd, 2014 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Your technical studies are absolutely astounding! I just ordered Scott's books and I find that your work really reminds me of his as well. I could stand to learn a lot from the both of you. Your gesture drawings could use a bit of work, but you're still way ahead of me with your artwork!

Thanks
    Some more old work. I love technical stuff. These are mechs from the game Steel Battalion.
    Last edited by crankshaft; November 16th, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    I cant see the images from your latest post, not sure if that is something with CA or if you have uploaded wrong? That ship is woooow, did you make a light sketch of it and then go over with a harder pencil or how did you do that. Surely those lines arent all done in one go, because that is some seriously impressive line control. It looks absolutely beautiful I think that it could sell for quite some, or is it like A4 sized? Would be beautiful to see in color but alot of work, really like the extreme amount of detail in it. Great piece!

Thanks
    Loving your rendered cars and ships. I think you have an issue though with the texturing of things. All of your surfaces seem to be identical in it's smoothness. But that could be just me.

I'm also noticing something about your figure studies and they seem to have you spending too much time trying to nail the outline, and i think you're cleaning them up as you go.

If you're doing the timed based exercises from sites like http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ , i highly suggest (this is something one of my lecturers told me, but im not entirely certain if it's correct as i had conflicting opinions pressed on me) for the sole purpose of figure drawing, do NOT lift your pencil off the paper for the figures that take the 30s and 1 minute pieces.

Focus solely on how the body is constructed. Dont bother erasing the lines jumping from place to place inside your figure, just keep going.
    Only for the other pieces where you get more time do you spend time to erase and fix (within the allocated time of course). This helped me understand the general form better, personally. I was instructed to use A2 Newsprint and using charcoal or conte sticks for the lessons.

But yea, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.