Sketchbook: Doodles, Finished Pieces and Everything In-Between

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doodles, Finished Pieces and Everything In-Between

I thought that making one of these would be good for me so that I'd be able to track my progress. While I've been drawing cartoon-ish and anime-styled type things for a long time on and off since that's what first inspired me to draw, I've found that I've created a little box for myself in the form of heads, heads and shoulders, or should I say busts or what have you and never moving on from that. I really like to draw and I recently decided that I want to move out of my box and dabble in everything.

The thing is that I have a hard time figuring out just where to start when it comes to anatomy and if I should ever start there at all. For me, becoming an artist is on the back burner. All I want to do for now is improve and get to a level to where I won't feel as though I'm struggling so much.

I also recently looked at MCM's art which recently stopped in 2013 I believe or maybe he got a new sketchbook started up, but the progress was amazing so I became even more so inspired to try this.

I must say that I do enjoy the anime style and I want to further that as much as I can - not that I can't appreciate semi-realism and realism because of the artists here are really amazing.

At the moment, I've just been doing little doodles on this askblog on Tumblr, but I don't think I'm improving at all.

With that said, I'm just at a lost of where to start. I do own two art books and have some Andrew Loomis books on my computer and have recently saved several tutorials. I want to take my art seriously and improve and reach new heights. I just want to draw for myself and feel like I've really and truly accomplished something great.

Art is a hobby for me right now and with hobbies, you want to become better at it.

It's really late, so I probably won't be posting anything this morning - later on at the very least.

Name:  figuredrawing.png
Views: 277
Size:  149.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya there, it's good to see someone with so much motivation!
    Those two sketches are pretty good but since there's only two the most important advice to give is: draw more, post more!! Once you got the anatomy and proportions figured out I bet you'll notice improvement pretty soon, keep it up!

Visit my Sketchbook!
    Comments appreciated and will be returned! c:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much Heyriel for your kind words! I'm definitely motivated and I'm not really doing anything else with all the time I have on my hands right now, so I think that this'll be a good use of that time.

You're right though - I've got to draw more and post more, certainly! I can only hope I'll notice improvement. Thanks again! /o/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some "mannikin frames" from Andrew Loomis. It's only the beginning!

Name:  mannikinframe1.png
Views: 49
Size:  174.0 KB

You can fantasize and hope to achieve something all you want, but nothing's going to get done if you don't put forth the effort to turn those fantasies into reality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even more mannikin frames.

Name:  mannikinframe2.png
Views: 48
Size:  170.7 KB

You can fantasize and hope to achieve something all you want, but nothing's going to get done if you don't put forth the effort to turn those fantasies into reality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool mannequins! Really go wild with the poses, mannequins are a good stage to figure out balance and the limits of the human form. Consider looking at the proportion of the head in relation to the body. Your mannequins look like they belong to a tall dwarf.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dosymedia - Thank you very much - I'm definitely going to try and do as you say with the proportions of the head and how it relates to the body. I'll take more time and care in studying them and hopefully they'll look better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to try using a line to see if that'd help, but these are still just figures from Andrew Loomis' figure drawing book - pretty much following it for the most part.

Name:  mannikinframes4.png
Views: 36
Size:  178.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 9