Anatomy practice, am I doing the right things?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello everyone it's nice to come out of the shadows and join the community, I was hoping some of you could give me some advice/crit on my practice regime and drawings. I get a few hours most nights, after kids and work, to practice. I've read some advice that I should concentrate on practising a specific element for a while in order to see better progression, so I've chosen to start with heads and draw 100, concentrating mostly on accurate feature placement, though going further with the last drawing of the night usually. After head's I'll move onto another body section, hands & arms then fett and legs, then torso's then whole bodies. Till I'm happy with anatomy. After anatomy I'll move onto colour, composition perspective etc. Then at some point I'll start trying to pull the characters out of my head. Since I've been toiling in pretty much isolation except for tutorial videos, I was hoping someone with real knowledge could tell me if I'm working smart or stupid, and also crit my practice pieces to see if there are things I'm missing.

Name:  25-heads.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  227.0 KBName:  day17.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  177.4 KBName:  20heads.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  23.0 KBName:  4-heads.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  85.4 KBName:  35-heads.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  127.2 KBName:  heads.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  230.0 KB

Before starting the heads I usually do half hour of gesture/sketches just so I don't get blinkered, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, feel free to be brutally honest, I really want to improve. For the next few days i'm going to be looking at the muscles in the lips and mouth I think that's a weak point.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, you are doing the right thing. Go on.

Anatomy wise, pay more attention to the lower half of the face. Study the form of lips, how they relate to chin and nose, how the jaw bones define the shape of the mouth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work, although I suggest you pick up complete bodies earlier, for instance through Loomis mannikin.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank s for the responses I had another little go last night, I found a 3d scan of a skull and looked at some muscle diagram for around the mouth, I'll spend the next few days on mouths and chins.

I'll move whole bodies up in my schedule, probably after heads, it makes more sense that way I just didn't realise it till you said.

Members who have read this thread: 3