Thanked 1,703 Times in 653 Posts
    Follows
    Following

COW #322: The Air Freshener - WIPs Thread

COW #322: The Air Freshener - WIPs Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  381.0 KB

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #322: The Air Freshener

Brief:
    In the distant future Lysol and Febreze have pretty much become obsolete after the discovery of a certain aromatic creature that is capable of not only producing a fresh scent, but also serves as an air purifier and cleanses the air of pollutants, allergens and other harmful chemicals. This creature is quite small, and requires very little maintenance making it very easy to take care of. Naturally, because it requires very little work to care for, and its aesthetics, it has become a very popular and desirable household pet for homes and families in the future, surpassing even cats and dogs. For this week's topic you will design this sweet scented little critter.

Round Requirements:
    -has the ability to produce fresh aromatic scents and cleanses the air of pollutants and allergens
    -humans keep it as a pet in the future, so it must be appealling in some way; cute, cuddly, decorative, etc...
    -it is a small creature that requires very little maintenance; think chihuahua sized or smaller

Deadline:
    Wednesday June 11, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...83#post3820683

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; June 6th, 2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posting this ahead of schedule because I'm not sure if I'll be around at midnight to do so...also deadline still stands for the Hellish Beast, but if I'm not around then you can submit afterwards, I'll give a 15 minute heads up before closing to let any last minute entries in...

Also note the deadline for this topic, you have 1 week for this round so if you plan on participating you better work quick! I'm gonna try to bring COW back to weekly topics, since it is called Creature of the 'WEEK' afterall, and not Creature Every Other Week...

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some initial thoughts. Not exactly blowing my own socks off with design, but these were fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  COW322-airFreshener.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  621.3 KB

Here's an initial idea from me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  COW322-airFreshener-WIP2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  45.8 KB

So I decided to go with an arboreal approach to my creature instead. More progress WIPs tomorrow.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    WIP 1

Add colour next and a means for the scent to be released.

Name:  COW322wip1.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  318.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Colorado Kid: Go for the first one.
    Rist: Damn, that's creepy, a nightmare embodied. Human face doesn't suit it, not cute at all.

First sketch from me. Waaay far away from my comfort zone! It sticks to windows glass and releases bubbles.
    Name:  air.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  223.0 KB

DEVIANTART -:|:- FACEBOOK -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some thoughts so I can feel like a big man...

The Colorado Kid Nice, whimsical starts. I like the top one best.

Metal Militant I agree that the arboreal approach is more interesting.

Rist Clown-faced dog is brilliant...just doesn't fit the tone of this challenge. Also, the dog anatomy seems a bit like guesswork.

Spellsword Nice, believable animal anatomy. For my taste, it is too literally a lizard...not creatively adventurous.

My initial lines...

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 817 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ye gods I guess this is back to weekly instead of bi-weekly. I thought I was late in the game with only 5 days to go, but there's only a few sketches up...

Name:  skcow322.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  62.5 KB

quick sketches:

1 is a bird-like creature that sits around a lot, emitting fumes like smoke.
    2 is a lizard-like creature that likes to stick to walls and ceilings and emits fragrant bubbles.
    3 is a bullfrog- dragon thing that burbs bubbles that smell pleasant.
    4 is a small monkey/ spit beast that floats through the room on its emitted bubbles.
    5 is a hamster-slug that trails a neolight trial that smells nice too...

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Initial idea

This creature has some plant like features (natural air cleansers) as well as some bird + small mammal. Not sure yet how the creature emits scent. This sketch was in color pencil in my sketchbook, the final will be digital

Name:  creature.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  53.3 KB

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashess I like #2 the best...maybe its the head shape.

rrlowther I think your design fits the brief very well. I'm finding the extreme range of textures to be a bit jarring and there appear to be minor perspective issues. For instance, the angle of the line that would connect the two eyes doesn't agree with the top of the head. Also, your creature's weight feels like it might be falling back off of its branch. I really like the 'bird of paradise' feather-thingies coming off its head.

Rist Yes, the wall-eyed poop rabbit would make a very aromatic, adorable addition to any home (provided, of course, that the home belongs to someone deranged.) If this wasn't part of an incongruous challenge, my actual critique would be:

Wonderfully unsettling image. Some nice rendering, though the clarity of the eyes doesn't fit with the extremely broken, blurry texture of the rest of it. I kinda want to see a gnarly claw or two coming from the base. You know...to help it scrabble along the floor. Slowly, repulsively. It gazes up at me, simultaneously adoring and accusing, then dips its malformed face into its bowl of 'abomination chow'. (shudder) Also, a bit of a reflection of the bowl on the floor might be nice.

Now, let me just WIP this out...

My portfolio

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bit slow going here, I knew this was sort of a risky topic but we'll see what happens by the end of the week. I may wip up some sketches in a bit have a few ideas floating around begging to be put on paper...or computer screen

The Colorado Kid: Some neat designs so far, but remember the 'maintenance' part of the brief, the puffy hair looks nice, but requires grooming, unless you can convince me that grooming is unecessary in some way.

metal_militant: not sure what you're going for at this point as it is still in silhouette form, I can kind of make out a monkey frog thing of some kind, but your interpretation of this may differ from me. Try to play with different silhouettes to see how they work out instead of settling with your first initial scribble.

Rist: Initial idea was a little creepy, I can see it being fairly colourful like a clown, but with the popular clown phobias going around I don't see this getting too popular, in fact in may worsen the phobia tbh. but the 'poop rabbit' as DPFX put isn't really any less unsettling. The humanish eyes don't help it either, as adding human like eyes to any animal tends to look odd. What I recommend you do is to collect some reference images based on the ideas flowing in your head and try to build your creature up from there. Remember this creature must be appealing to humans, whether it's cute like a bunny, or decorative like a fish.

Spellsword95: I like idea of it basically acting like a sticky air freshener on a window, the design kinda appears like a generic lizard at first but we'll see what else you do to it.

DPFX: I really like the idea of it having perfume puffers, whenever the owner feels like it can give it a squeeze. I understand that the purple is just a base colour, but I'd like to see a nice mixture of colours on this thing, not that it wasn't your plan but just stating...

ashess: the incense bird is a neat idea, what else could you do with this. I could actually see the incense being on a bug-like critter similar to a spiky beetle or a pill bug. I know bugs and insects aren't always the most popular pets but they do appeal to some people and a bug that cleanses and freshens the air may jump in popularity because of it's functionality, and being a bug they tend to just do their own thing so maintenance isn't an issue either, anyways it's just a suggestion so you can do what you want, you don't need me to sway you either way

rrlowther: a good start and a good train of thought. the bird of paradise like features are neat. I wonder how it would be if a creature similar to the bird of paradise was partially made of popular aromatic flowers? nudge nudge wink wink...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit, Rob. Yeah, I'm trying to do my values in purple instead of grayscale. My color reference is a tropical fish that has several garish colors. I'll be playing with those in the next few days.

BTW, I hadn't completed a digital painting in over a year when your 'Hellish War Beast' topic got my blood pumping again. Thanks for your dedication to this site.

My portfolio

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the critique. Yes I am actually going for a monkey/frog thingy. Will work more on giving it better form.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Powell View Post
    bit slow going here, I knew this was sort of a risky topic but we'll see what happens by the end of the week. I may wip up some sketches in a bit have a few ideas floating around begging to be put on paper...or computer screen

The Colorado Kid: Some neat designs so far, but remember the 'maintenance' part of the brief, the puffy hair looks nice, but requires grooming, unless you can convince me that grooming is unecessary in some way.

metal_militant: not sure what you're going for at this point as it is still in silhouette form, I can kind of make out a monkey frog thing of some kind, but your interpretation of this may differ from me. Try to play with different silhouettes to see how they work out instead of settling with your first initial scribble.

Rist: Initial idea was a little creepy, I can see it being fairly colourful like a clown, but with the popular clown phobias going around I don't see this getting too popular, in fact in may worsen the phobia tbh. but the 'poop rabbit' as DPFX put isn't really any less unsettling. The humanish eyes don't help it either, as adding human like eyes to any animal tends to look odd. What I recommend you do is to collect some reference images based on the ideas flowing in your head and try to build your creature up from there. Remember this creature must be appealing to humans, whether it's cute like a bunny, or decorative like a fish.

Spellsword95: I like idea of it basically acting like a sticky air freshener on a window, the design kinda appears like a generic lizard at first but we'll see what else you do to it.

DPFX: I really like the idea of it having perfume puffers, whenever the owner feels like it can give it a squeeze. I understand that the purple is just a base colour, but I'd like to see a nice mixture of colours on this thing, not that it wasn't your plan but just stating...

ashess: the incense bird is a neat idea, what else could you do with this. I could actually see the incense being on a bug-like critter similar to a spiky beetle or a pill bug. I know bugs and insects aren't always the most popular pets but they do appeal to some people and a bug that cleanses and freshens the air may jump in popularity because of it's functionality, and being a bug they tend to just do their own thing so maintenance isn't an issue either, anyways it's just a suggestion so you can do what you want, you don't need me to sway you either way

rrlowther: a good start and a good train of thought. the bird of paradise like features are neat. I wonder how it would be if a creature similar to the bird of paradise was partially made of popular aromatic flowers? nudge nudge wink wink...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    DPFX: I want the food to look like dog meat, but the more I rendered the more it looked like Poo. So the idea is that the rabbits ears generates a purifying oder which nullifies the poop smell and makes the area smell nice to boot! Awesome idea you gave me about the claws. Only problem is if I do that it would make it look creepy again!

As for the artwork supplied by yourself, I feel it needs a bit more approachability for humans to love the beast. Maybe to stay within the idea you could make it look more like a flower? Add some colourful petals or maybe make the creature multicoloured. Also needs a little more environment to describe the size and the purpose more. Maybe the creature is in a small bird cage?

I'll hold off on technical ability for now as I can see its still in early stages of rendering.

Rob Powell: Yes I see the problem with the eyes now, thank you for pointing this out. I guess I was working through my visual library where I normally paint humans and this was where it went wrong. Reference is essential and I'll need to gather it soon. And the dog meat looking like turd doesn't help with the challenge outcome!

Cheers,

Updates to follow later.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At first my creature either resembled a weird slug plant, or something similar to a ferret...then this thing came out
    was thinking that originally in nature this creature would produce extremely stinky scents based on the foods it would eat, so if you feed it sweet smelling fruits such as oranges or strawberries then it would produce that scent. It would blow the scented pores into the air and use the 'fans' on it's back to help spread the scents into the air...
    Name:  the air freshener.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  126.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This little guy was the first thing I came up with. Part plant part mammal, it's blossom like growths give off an aromatic scent. I also kept the original black and white, I may play with the colors, form, etc.

Name:  perfume-creature.png
Views: 320
Size:  404.1 KBName:  perfume-creature-bw.png
Views: 323
Size:  200.1 KB

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; June 8th, 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some progress...
    added colours and did some rendering...
Views: 357
Size:  193.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rob. His tail fin looks kinda funny, like it's tilting toward the viewer. Not sure if that's what you're intention is, but maybe that fin bone needs to go up straighter, and foreshorten the interior part a bit. Other than that, the rendering is looking really good.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flame_Unquenchable Nice start. The foliage doesn't look very aromatic...maybe its the earth tones. The values are a bit flat. Your creature has a lot of character and 'pet appeal'.

Rob Powell Nice design and rendering. The rear fin jumped out a bit to me to as a bit off. Also, have you considered making the feet a different color than the lower body? I like the thought behind the concept.

My progress...
    Name:  COW-322-Air-Freshener3.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  147.3 KB

My portfolio

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the first time I do something like this.

Started with random thumbnails and now it looks like a plant-dog-thing.

Name:  wip1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  70.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a fun one. My idea is for a genetically modified pet berry. Cute and cuddly, and smells delicious.
    Here's my current wip:
    Name:  322-Toyberry-WIP01.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  79.1 KB

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powell: Thanks for pointing that out. Those would be a pain in the ass to maintain.

Here's a different take on it. "This place is a pig pen... of fruity fresh fragrance Try all four flavors today!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the frogpug secretes a pleasant smelling sweat and consumes bacteria in the air. <

by the way, do i have to have a proper background for the final or will the gradient be fine?

Name:  frogpugwip1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  102.4 KB

instagram
    deviantart
    sketchbook <- help me improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    .pc: Backgrounds are optional, the creature design is the important feature of your entry so it's no biggie if you refrain from painting the environment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posting as a reminder that this topic ends tomorrow night. It was a bit shorter than previous topics, but I'm gonna be doing this more often in the future to try to ease the community back into a more 'weekly' schedule! Cuz two week rounds can be saved for something special but it kinda takes the hype away from those rounds if every topic is two weeks long. I did notice that less people have participated in this topic (not sure if that's because of the duration or because everyone else just hates this topic) but I will still be doing the two week rounds somewhat regularly but I will throw in a few week long rounds. You are free to tell me your opinions on the matter as I would like to know if everyone prefers the usual two week rounds, or if people want the extra challenge of having shorter time-frames.

The Colorado Kid: What else can you do to the design besides just recolour a pot-belly pig and change the tail to a fin?

also here's an update...I hope the back fins make more sense now, I just didn't bother indicating the back fin for my previous wip...
Views: 1144
Size:  202.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powell: I was thinking the same thing after I posted yesterday. Nice work on your rendering; the eyes, especially, have a lot of character.

Here's some more refinement.

Last edited by The Colorado Kid; June 11th, 2014 at 01:04 AM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to The Colorado Kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First Post!

Name:  AirFreshenerCritterMG.png
Views: 154
Size:  313.0 KB

Hello everyone!

The concept behind my "air freshener" is that it evolved in the wilds to use an alluring scent to attract insect prey (largely because it is incapable of swift movement due to its water-logged and rotund form). Bright colors and the "scent globules" lining its back bring insects within a tongue's-length of its slender proboscis. The liquid filled globules are shed weekly and can be used as temporary portable air fresheners as well. Scaled and sluggish, the creature is not difficult to attend to.

I have a little more cleaning up to do, especially with the tongue and tail, but would definitely welcome input on other potential improvements. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 817 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    bah. guess I'm not gonna make it. just not focussed enough on this; got projects running now too and activities I cannot get out of the rest of the day. well, they're fun activities so dont even want to. still...
    @ rob- thanks a lot for the crit! I've actually been trying to make my bird have more insect qualities. but it just turns out disgusting every time, so I can really go with those.

Name:  cow322a.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  119.7 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook