EOW Round #232: Temple of A Hundred Relics

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

EOW Round #232: Temple of A Hundred Relics

TOPIC: Temple of A Hundred Relics
    suggested by BlindLynx

This week's topic is an archaic, dusty one with cinematic potential. An interior perspective is preferred, but exterior is also acceptable! Good luck. Thanks for the topic, BlindLynx.

Brief:
    1. Design an environment that adheres to the topic/theme.
    2. You must post at least once in this W.I.P. thread to be included in the finals thread for the voting poll.

Deadline: June 18th 2014

Congrats to Benedikt for winning EOW #230!

Post your final entries in the "FINAL BURNING" thread which I will post a week or so before the due date. If you need more time to get your finals in, let me know and I'll extend the deadline.

-

Website

Facebook

DeviantArt

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    sketch for comp/fx

Thanks
    okay, will see if i can catch the deadline.

i'll try to base the theme on lady dervorgilla's love for her late hubby

Name:  thmbs.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  553.1 KB

these are the refs

Name:  refs.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  490.9 KB

i might opt to make an indoor scene as well, g'luck everyone

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    i've decided for an indoor scene. well, a semi-indoor scene hence the ruins. i wonder if i can pull off the clash of timelines feel i aim for. the ruins will suggest the present day while anything else intact the parallel timeline of 1273 as if they'd exist on the same plane. whew..

Name:  thmbs002.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  293.5 KB

Thanks
    Wow Jamsession, that indoor scene looks great. I chose thumbnail 6 from my sheet and I'm struggling to get my pillars to look nice in perspective, but you've smashed yours, they look really solid.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OverlordGunnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    whoah! i'm honored :DDDD thanks, though i've messed up the perspective of the statues in the second thumb haha! your thumbs are really good as well and you've picked my personal fave. you might go for a 3 point perspective, that trick is always my rescue whenever some objects arranged in circles are givin me a hard time :)

i might ditch the cross or replace it with a catholic one, i just realized i've referenced the wrong cross for a catholic abbey, this one is anglican, sorry and no offense to religious folk out there :)

Thanks
    Jam, why does it have to stay a cross? I like Celtic crosses, or German ones, even Russian Orthodox crosses, but you can also look up Norse holy symbols if it's a religious place, or any other religion for that matter. Vary which symbols are usually associated with the architecture. Unless you are trying to make it religion specific.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame_Unquenchable View Post
    I like Celtic crosses, or German ones, even Russian Orthodox crosses, but you can also look up Norse holy symbols if it's a religious place, or any other religion for that matter.
    yeah, i like them all, in fact i have thing for medival architecture and temples in particular, no matter if they're catholic, protestant, orthodox, hindu, or muslim. i especially dig armenian and assyrian chapels, there are a fair amount of artifacts and exemplars down here where i'm from :D anyway, the thing is, i'll base the story on a real fact in the history about sweetheart abbey in scotland, which was a catholic complex, farm, etc. that's why i was concerned about accuracy :)

Thanks

Thanks

I'm having trouble with my piece
    I have to draw up an album cover for my friend this week too, so I might not have time to finish.
    I'll work for the rest of today and see if I can save this.

Name:  2014-06-09_tomb2.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  248.8 KB

Jamsession, Those colours I love it, I do have some suggestions on how to make it even better though.

The cross is a little bit light in value, especially considering the woman has a much darker, you want the cross to be the highest contrast in the piece. It's also a little bright in general, you are missing some darker values to really sell that sun burst, light next to light is just light, but light next to dark is much brighter.

I did a quick paint over to show what I mean.
    Keep it up, this is seriously killer work.

Name:  eow_june_thmbcolor002.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  176.8 KB

Thanks
    All right, I've had some fun.

EOW references: http://www.vodoustore.com/store/inde...ndex&cPath=183 (The vodou store)

http://www.cambodiabackroads.com/Att...1#.U5rs0bFtB_E (ta prohm ruins in cambodia)

http://www.christopherpiperwines.co....night-day-two/ (temple of baalbek)

http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/03/14/...-get/(wisteria vine)

Here's the progress:

Name:  marielaveaufirst.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  marielaveau2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  133.0 KB

Last edited by Misty Feather; June 13th, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Just did some sketches and choosed this one, waiting for C&C to make it better
    Name:  sanctuary hundred relics copy.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  111.9 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordGunnar View Post
    I'm having trouble with my piece :(
    I have to draw up an album cover for my friend this week too, so I might not have time to finish.
    i really would want you to attend this round, that'll be a crying shame if you miss it, really =/

I did a quick paint over to show what I mean.
    thank you so much for taking time, i'm really happy to get a helping hand from a pro like yourself =)))) wow the piece looks so much better with the paintover, it's more vibrant and eyecatching! i always have a hard time with values and your tip will help me finally get a lil better.

i've decided to pick the second image though, but i won't ditch the first one either, i'll finish it as a separate project. your pillars are coming along very very well, can't wait to see the finished version, mang, this round will be my all time fave :D:D

Thanks

Thanks
    HEY Overlord!! Number 2 and 6 are looking great! Great atmosphere!

Thanks

Thanks
    Hi guys,

I decided that the lighting setup I used for my image was.... difficult, after I tried to make shadows for the hand rails :/
    I took the cowards way out and started a new image, but I decided not to go easy on myself, so I'm going for a very complex shot with heaps of detail. I'm not sure if it looks good, sometimes i love it, and sometimes I hate it. The main thing is that I'm making myself think very hard about every little thing, so I'm learning a lot.

Name:  2014-06-14_tomb2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  400.7 KB

Misty feather, I really like your idea, the overgrown root systems in the eastern temples is very cool. I just think you need to be more confident and decisive with your values. I did a quick paint over.

Views: 173
Size:  183.5 KB

A couple general notes.
    Things in the foreground are generally darker in value unless hit by direct light, but for the purpose of drawing the eye in towards your subject matter, it is a good idea to keep it darker.
    Think about the light source and create shadows to show off forms and depth, like I did with the columns on the right side.
    The composition feels boxed in because of the column in the left foreground, I tried to balance it with a figure, but perhaps breaking the column to open up the composition would help more.

Keep it up, you seem to have the right mind set for this, you research well and create an interesting story. I look forward to seeing those ideas fully realized.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to OverlordGunnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi guys,

I decided that the lighting setup I used for my image was.... difficult, after I tried to make shadows for the hand rails :/
    I took the cowards way out and started a new image, but I decided not to go easy on myself, so I'm going for a very complex shot with heaps of detail. I'm not sure if it looks good, sometimes i love it, and sometimes I hate it. The main thing is that I'm making myself think very hard about every little thing, so I'm learning a lot.

Name:  2014-06-14_tomb2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  400.7 KB

Misty feather, I really like your idea, the overgrown root systems in the eastern temples is very cool. I just think you need to be more confident and decisive with your values. I did a quick paint over.

Views: 173
Size:  183.5 KB

A couple general notes.
    Things in the foreground are generally darker in value unless hit by direct light, but for the purpose of drawing the eye in towards your subject matter, it is a good idea to keep it darker.
    Think about the light source and create shadows to show off forms and depth, like I did with the columns on the right side.
    The composition feels boxed in because of the column in the left foreground, I tried to balance it with a figure, but perhaps breaking the column to open up the composition would help more.

Keep it up, you seem to have the right mind set for this, you research well and create an interesting story. I look forward to seeing those ideas fully realized.
    Waw! Thanks so much. I will keep that in mind. I always get a bit too shy with my darks. Push those values, self!

Your paint over looks awesome by-the-by.

And your own temple has a real funky-awesome theme.

Thanks

temple wip thumbs

New to this, apologies for any errors

have tried some thumbs as a start

Name:  templethumbs-700.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  122.5 KB

Thanks
    overlordgunnar, i love the satin drapery (or is it velvet? :D) and the atmosphere is so mystical! you could dim the lighting a lil bit and focus a bit more on the altar as the light source. not too dark and not too bright for example. or nvm, the piece is still ace no matter what :)

Thanks
    Jamsession, I did not consider what type of fabric I just looked at renaissance era French castles and decided that it looked suitably decadent. The lighting has changed from light to dark so many times I've lost count, I'm very indecisive sometimes. The idea is to add in hundreds of candles around the base of the alter, so I'll probably darken the top of the image and orange up the bottom a bit... That is, if I ever get out of work over the next couple days Screw real life, I just want to paint.

Misty Feather, I struggle a lot with values as well, but I've found that finding a photo of a similar scene with similar lighting can really help. Check your own values (if your using colour) by creating a new layer at the top of the list, filling it with black and setting the layer mode to saturation. Then do the same to the photo, you should get a good idea of where you're going wrong after that and you can use curves and levels adjustment layers to try and correct it overall before fixing with the brush. I hope that made sense, it helps me quite a bit.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to OverlordGunnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This time I was sure to not be in... I've started to work on my piece at the first start of the theme, but I was so upset with my first results. The problem is that my last piece in character was such good that I got stuck trying to imitate its quality... But quality is not something you can imitate. You have to mime tecnic and get the same quality. Btw, this night when I saw deadline was near I was so angry that I take my work and in finished in a 3 hours shot. And I'm satisfied now. Is a photobash mixed with paint over, my first attempt. I know this tecnic isnt' valid for CHOW or COW, but I remember that was allowed here. I read somewhere a nice article about what we often called concept art is promo art. Concept art need to be fast, with a lot of cut and glue and paintover, for be competitive in the industries. So this was my approach this time... I stick here even my fails just for let you know. Thanx for reading and nice work everyone. I hope to find some times to critic your finals.

Name:  TempleofHundredsRelic01s.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  282.5 KB

Name:  TempleofHundredsRelicsJapanAthena02.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  TempleofHundredsRelicsJapanAthena03.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  387.5 KB

Thanks
    The idea is to add in hundreds of candles around the base of the alter, so I'll probably darken the top of the image and orange up the bottom a bit...
    i'm starting to think that we have some sort of telepathy, you've just nailed the idea in my head with the lighting =)))

Screw real life, I just want to paint.
    ditto =)

blindlynx, first off, thanks for the nice idea =) your perspective blew me off.

Thanks
    I like your concept MistyFeather. Great turnaround BlindLynx, I am amazed at your speed. I just realised final is tomorrow! I though, 18th June, surely that's way off. Not so. I will not finish but it has been educational to try!

My temple is ruined, the relics scattered

Name:  temple-700.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  138.2 KB

32. The Following User Says Thank You to popicok For This Useful Post:

Thanks

temple crumbling

Name:  temple-700-2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  151.8 KB

another effort

Thanks

Relic Temple WIP

Name:  EOW #232 - Temple of a Hundred Relics V2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  186.3 KB

Relics are incoming (floating stone tablets), but I figured I'd put this up with 2 questions:

For the orb, should I have more sections of it opened up, or change em around so they're a little bit more abstract?

Also: is the deadline PST, EST, GMT? I missed out on character of the week that way and I'd hate to have it happen twice.

Thanks
    Hello folks!
    Here is my entry to the contest. I've decided to interpret the theme as technical relic. Abandoned depo looks good to be the temple for an old trane.

Good luck!

Name:  Abandoned_depo_2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  438.9 KB

Name:  Abandoned_depo_wip.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  146.2 KB