MikeFerrisArt- Composition 1.1

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: MikeFerrisArt- Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MikeFerrisArt- Composition 1.1

It's been an incredibly long time since I've picked up a tablet, since I've been focused on printmaking for the last 5 years. I'd like to make a transition back into the digital realm. I figured taking these classes will be a great start to start honing my skills again in digital painting, anatomy etc.

Thanks so much for looking! Here's my first post for Comp. 1.

As the assignment says, I focused on just laying down shapes super quickly, and focused on the composition, not the detail. I tried to focus on the placement of the shapes, and how the shapes came together to make the image. I noticed as I was working on this quickly, how much Rembrandt used the design principle Economy, to make the image what it is. He creates nice movement in the piece, and a nice emphasis on the front figure by creating a silhouette with value, instead of using lots of detail. I tried squinting my eyes as much as possible to see the overall shapes and values, and lose what detail is in it. There are definitely some improvements to make. Thanks for looking, I'll post more soon!

Name:  rembrandt_conceptart.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  267.7 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my second study, which actually a study of a study by Anders Zorn. I recently found his work, and love his figurative work. I chose to do a study of his study, because it would help with my speed, but also help me focus on getting shapes and values that make up the composition, down faster. I noticed that he had a repetition of shapes to make up the ladies clothing, fingers, and hair. Her face is also emphasized because of the brighter value. Once again, focused on getting compositional shapes down, instead of detail. I think my brights are too bright, so I'll work on that next.

Name:  zorn_conceptart.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  222.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study of a Lucien Freud piece, always a fan of his figures!

While working on his piece, I noticed how the shapes within the figure, and the couch he is reclining on, are similar. There is a repetition of shapes in the piece to make a composition of a figure lying on a couch. There is a rhythm as to how the viewer looks at each part of the figure, as well.

Name:  freud_conceptart.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  149.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fourth piece! Portrait by Rembrandt. I noticed in this piece that there is actually a lot of movement in the composition. There is an overall triangular composition, but circular movements because of the hat and his necklace, which I think actually keep your eye engaged and moving in the piece. Once again, focused on getting shapes down quickly, and thinking about design elements. Let me know what you think! Would love some feedback.

Name:  rembrandt_conceptart.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  248.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,203 Times in 2,747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful start. You see value very well. You can get closer, but for a first go at this, nice job.

Some thoughts on shapes i shared earlier..which will be helpful to you. Please do apply this.

When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much Mr. Manley! I really appreciate the comments, and I will definitely take the advice. It's sometimes easy to forget to take a step back and evaluate how everything relates as a whole. I will make it a habit to do that, and flip the image around to check relations.

Here is my 5th composition, a study of a piece by John Sargent. What I found most interesting about this painting is the nice balance of shapes and values in the composition. Every dark and value, and every light value, seems to have another somewhere to balance the composition out. The extreme values between the dark of the background and light of the dress makes a nice movement that keeps the eye engaged. I really noticed how flipping the image made it easier to fix shape problems, on this one. I try to keep my time limit to 45 minutes tops, so there is definitely some problems that can be fixed, like the shape of the bottom half of her dress. I should really slow down a bit and knock those shapes in before I move on to anything else, in the future. Thanks for looking and critiquing.

Name:  sargent_conceptart.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  486.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress! You can add more value during these studies. Don't be intimidated by the time limit as speed will come with practice. I just picked up my tablet after two years so I know the feeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with xArtKingx. Don't look at your clock and focus on your shapes and values. Once you're happy with this you can render at will
    Nice start, wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xArtKingx View Post
    Great progress! You can add more value during these studies. Don't be intimidated by the time limit as speed will come with practice. I just picked up my tablet after two years so I know the feeling.
    Thanks a ton! You're definitely right, the speed will come back. For now, I'll focus on shapes and value, without keeping an eye on the clock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeCarnevilCat View Post
    Agree with xArtKingx. Don't look at your clock and focus on your shapes and values. Once you're happy with this you can render at will
    Nice start, wait to see more!
    Thanks for the feedback, and you're right, I'll focus on what is going on in the composition more, not the clock! I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My 6th study! A close up of Robinson Crusoe, by NC Wyeth. Wyeth definitely had a nice balance of economy and emphasis in the piece. Wyeth put Crusoe in an environment, with hardly any detail put in, so the emphasis of the piece is definitely Crusoe. There's a balance in the way Wyeth painted the figure and his tools, clothing, etc. Nice movement of shapes and values to create a figure in the piece. I think I could've pushed the values a little more, as that would help with finding the shapes in the piece. Will keep that, and my eye off the clock, for next time.

Name:  wyeth_conceptart.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  157.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving Wyeth all of the sudden. I first heard of him in school, but I don't think I appreciated his work as much as I should've.

Study #7- There is a rhythm and movement in this composition that is made up of diagonals and circular shapes. I really did notice that as I kept working on this piece, I kept saying "boom, boom, boom" in my head when working on the stair steps and walkway the figure is on. I guess that's the rhythm talking. Wyeth keeps the viewer engaged in the composition, and keeps the emphasis on the figure in the middle, with his diagonals. Creates a nice movement in the piece. I think in my study, the figure in front is a touch too big. Thanks for looking.

Name:  wyeth2_conceptart.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  182.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study #8- Another Wyeth illustration study. Once again, I feel like there is a lot of nice movement in the piece, because he utilizes diagonals. There's a nice rhythm of shapes when it comes to the darks of the figures, shadow shapes and bear, compared to the lights of the snow. A couple things I notice now. The first guy's head is too big, and the bear too small, in my study. I'll keep an eye on getting those shapes and relations anchored down earlier on in the study.

Name:  wyeth3_conceptart.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  185.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study #9- Another illustration by Wyeth. I think I'm doing alright with values, but I think I still need to work on finessing the shapes, before I move on. I feel like there are a lot of good design elements in this piece, that were covered in the video. There is a ton of emphasis on the captain, because of the economy of the smoke, ship, and characters to the captains right. There's also a nice balance to the piece, I really think the soft, silhouetted characters really balance out the heavy cannon and ship bridge on the left side. I really think I learned a lot about composition from this piece.

Name:  wyeth4_conceptart.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  249.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress! The values are coming along well.
    But if I may, I suggest that you slow down a little and spend a bit extra time on fixing your shapes.
    In your most recent study for example, the background/canon/buccaneer are completely off scale. You can see it when pictures are placed side by side, like here.
    I think it can be easily fixed in the early stages of your work. Try zooming out both images to spot differences between your work and the original.

You can also try this: I often leave the original picture as a hidden layer under my work. When I want to check shapes placement, I turn my layers on and off and make adjustments until I'm close enough to the original.

Hope it helps, keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeCarnevilCat View Post
    Nice progress! The values are coming along well.
    But if I may, I suggest that you slow down a little and spend a bit extra time on fixing your shapes.
    In your most recent study for example, the background/canon/buccaneer are completely off scale. You can see it when pictures are placed side by side, like here.
    I think it can be easily fixed in the early stages of your work. Try zooming out both images to spot differences between your work and the original.

You can also try this: I often leave the original picture as a hidden layer under my work. When I want to check shapes placement, I turn my layers on and off and make adjustments until I'm close enough to the original.

Hope it helps, keep going!
    Thank you for the feedback!! And that's a super idea, I'll definitely try that, that will make it easier to see mistakes, and fix them. I appreciate it!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,203 Times in 2,747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Please make double effort on shapes for your next images. I want you to really focus on shape accuracy. This is a key skill we are working on in this assignment and I want to be sure you are not settling for almost there...or good enough. You are doing well here and if you focus on shapes, positive and negative, even more, and don't settle, you will see a major boost in quality.

Keep it up!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 29