Need some advice on art school

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some advice on art school

So I am a third year university student. I have no experience in drawing or painting. But I am thinking about studying art/3d animation. Is it still possible for me to get into an art school this fall?
    I did some research online. ALl the art colleges have stopped taking transfer students for this fall. I found a school called Gnomon School of Visual Effect. It is offering a three year program in certificate in Entertainment Design & Digital Production. How is this program? And what kind of degree is certificate?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Degrees are useless in the world of Art. it's the skill that counts. No matter how much money you throw in and how much you butter up people and show your motivation by just plain words, you won't magically improve and become a hero in a short amount of time.
    You have to realize art-learning and making takes time and have to accept it takes at least a few years (2-4) to go pro and start working for real (coupled with hours of hard work and tireless perseverance) A right mindset towards art is also important. For instance, if you expect a lot from a methodical path of learning, you might cripple with depression, psychologically speaking. So you gotta relax and have fun drawing. FUN is the word. And that FUN turns into FUTURE when you keep at it again and again, on and on. If you don't enjoy drawing, then how do you expect to be able to bear a future filled with everyday drawing as a lifelong career and part of your life? (That's the mindset/points you gotta remember)

And secondly: Visual library

Even if you draw epic, it'll be pretty much a pathway to your end visions/goals. And if you run out of ideas in your head, you'll be in deep shit. Feng Zhu talked about this a lot in his Design Cinema episodes.

For starters, start drawing and stop thinking. Learn as much as you can. Draw as much as you can. It's not too late, it's never too late. Draw everyday. Draw fun stuff, good stuff, from observation as well as from imagination. Open up a Sketchbook thread here at CA and post your drawings there. The awesome CA community here will help you out. Everyone's at different skill levels from noobs to pros.

And Gnomon's Entertainment Design program is meant for those who have a little background in drawing and the foundations I think so it might not help you out a lot if you don't know the fundamentals.

For starters, grab a Betty Edward's book and do some observational drawing. They might be boring but they show you how to see differently when you draw and it helps in the long run as well. After that, you'll know what to learn.
    1. Observational Drawing
    2. Perspective and Composition
    3. Light,Shadow and Form
    4. Anatomy
    5. Color
    6. Design and other stuff

Learning the fundamentals will at least take you a few good months. I started pretty late and I know what I'm talking about.
    And if you truly love to draw, then you'll love drawing even the most boring stuff and just relish the sheer experience of mark making on paper and drawing for fun

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaioken20XGoku View Post
    For starters, grab a Betty Edward's book and do some observational drawing.
    They might be boring but they show you how to see differently when you draw and it helps in the long run as well. After that, you'll know what to learn.
    Skip Betty Edwards: although she might have some useful pointers for an absolute beginner, she also makes people believe that drawing is like copying an existing picture. She is totally ignorant about gesture, construction and line quality, to name a few essentials. After Edwards, you'll still have no idea of what to learn.

1. Observational Drawing
    2. Perspective and Composition
    3. Light,Shadow and Form
    4. Anatomy
    5. Color
    6. Design and other stuff

Learning the fundamentals will at least take you a few good months.
    Add life drawing to the mix, and do not rush it. Life drawing alone takes years, and so do light, shadow, form, color and anatomy...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Skip Betty Edwards: although she might have some useful pointers for an absolute beginner, she also makes people believe that drawing is like copying an existing picture. She is totally ignorant about gesture, construction and line quality, to name a few essentials. After Edwards, you'll still have no idea of what to learn.

Add life drawing to the mix, and do not rush it. Life drawing alone takes years, and so do light, shadow, form, color and anatomy...
    I wouldn't suggest to skip it. If you can't draw what you see or at least be able to see what you draw as it is and perceive even real life stuff as flat shapes, then there's no point in learning all the other fancy fundamentals.

When I started drawing, I started from no exp. and I can explain that feeling pretty well.
    So yea, he needs to experience that state a few times, the seeing state when he draws from life. If he can do that and put down what he sees on paper accurately, he's ready to move on
    And this takes only about a week or 2 so there's no harm in it. Don't overwhelm him. Start with baby steps and make the steps bigger bit by bit.

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And as for stuff other than observational drawing, I could name tons of resources from books to DVDs but that'll overwhelm you a lot. So finish the first chunk first and then move on bit by bit. Once you get used to observational drawing, do it once a week to get in the mood and work on other fundamentals. Observation is just the first step. The rest are related to imagination.

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Members who have read this thread: 19