cartoon girl portrait

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: cartoon girl portrait

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cartoon girl portrait

So here's my latest effort at a head. I don't intend to change this one now but any errors you can so that I can avoid for my next one? (I know I really must practice hair)

Name:  portraiture.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  347.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there might be a few construction issues that you could keep an eye on next time. The middle of her hairline and mouth seem to be slightly off the center line of the head. And maybe add some more depth/shadows to the ear, at the moment it looks quite flat.

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
    ~Robert Louis Stevenson

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought this one was gonna slip through the net. Thanks a lot for your help. I couldn't agree more about the ear it has been bothering me too. Will definitely pay the ear more attention from now on. Also you're right about the construction issues too of course. I flipped the canvas after posting this (still not developed the habit) and saw the lips and hairline were problem areas. I've really hammered head construction this weekend though and finally realised today that I'd been finding the centre of the face totally wrong (amongst some other problems).

Is there anything you would have done differently other than what you mentioned? Do you think anything works ok?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I think most of the parts I would look at would be related to construction as it looks a bit flat.
    The hairline is quite angular and sticks out quite a bit as the rest of your image is made up of curves, this draws the attention away from the facial features so maybe keep that in mind?

I do like the soft color palette though, and I like the way the nose was done, it has a nice depth :

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
    ~Robert Louis Stevenson

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 37