Dodus - Color and Light 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Dodus - Color and Light 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dodus - Color and Light 1.1

Well, this was really fun. I only had 2 hours to do this and definitely didn't get to do any of the fine tuning, but overall I'm fairly happy with where I found the mass light and shadow shapes. You guys are all doing amazing portraits and I'm excited to keep working both on this and on the Composition series.

Also, I need to pick a brush I like. With some grain. Suggestions welcome.

Name:  6-2 Portraitsm.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  207.1 KB

Last edited by dodus; June 3rd, 2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: image waaay too big
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This time I was hoping to get some sweet directional lighting from a window, but it was overcast today. Nevertheless, I challenged myself to see how quickly I could block in the general tones and I used a brush with some grain and I think it came together pretty OK. The second hour I spent adding little tweaks and details and then I did I tiny amount of blending at the end, which I'm not sure it benefited from. Anyway, I think this one is miles better than my first. Let me know what you guys think!

-Brad

Name:  6-12 Portrait Bsm.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  164.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I liked the first portrait a lot. the second, the left jaw feels weird, possibly because you didn't use any blur. not using any soft edges and transition can be a choice ofc, but I think you need to at least consider them. on brushes, I just downloaded a few nice textures and then sometimes apply them to my brush. that usually turns out right, though you need to watch getting the seamless ones.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback ashess! Unfortunately I use Painter which as far as I know doesn't have that dual texture capability like Photoshop does.

As for the jaw, I looked back at it and realized that, although I have a very asymmetrical face, the edge of the jaw was much lower than on the right side (right side of my face, painting left side, I hope that's what you meant as well). So I smoothed some things out and made the structure more even and let me know what you think.Name:  6-12 Portrait Csm.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  158.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi dodus; its definitely better though not what I meant. I meant fade the jaw with the background. you dont really use blur of fade. I have a preference for hard stuff too, but I think you should try the soft 'words' too. gradual transition, also from form to background..

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. I'll give that a shot on the next one for sure!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these. They have a very lucian freud vibe, and I love his stuff. I would encourage you to add in a bit more surface to them, given that. Perhaps as an experiment.

One of my favorite tools is square chalk and paper textures. The default textures suck though so it's best to go out with a camera and take photos of pacement, dirt, cement, old rusty metal and stuff like that. Then make the images tile-able (you can google how to make paper textures in painter and it should all be there). Anyway...that will help you introduce more ogranic shapes to some of those brush strokes. It will take a few hours to do, but it is so worth it.

You might find a bunch already made that you can download online too.

I am hesitant to push you toward even more realism as you are getting quite a modern vibe to these and I am curious where you wish to go with the feel of your work. Keep it up.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason:
    I checked out Lucian Freud's work and it's really amazing. I can definitely see the resemblance. Unfortunately these are me trying to do "realism" and not a stylistic choice but if it's turning out cool, I'll take it!

I also did what you recommended and tried to make a bunch of my own custom paper textures, I wasn't too happy with how any of them turned out but it's a work in progress so I'll keep on fiddling and hopefully find something I like.

Here's my latest portrait where I moved my desk and finally got some good directional lighting from my window. It was really tough to go too wide in range with values between the dark and light sides of my face, especially in the eyes, but it really did seem that I was getting some serious darks in the crevices of my face on the lit side. On the right half of the face there was much less variation in value so I tried to stay very observational but looking at it now I think I probably did push the values around too far.

Doing my neck and upper chest was a nightmare. The way the light was hitting it exposed like 5,000 differently-lit planes and tendons and such and it was hard to not get lost in that maze. Finally I ended up just going back and oversimplifying it and blending so now when you look at that part of the portrait the construction seems pretty OK.

Name:  6-20 Portrait 2sm.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  126.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You do very well with shapes and a painterly look and that is not easy for most. You are also capturing essence well, and getting mood/character across which is really the most important part...so hold on to that and keep chasing that as you are on the right track.

Other artists to look at for painterly shapes.

Richard Schmid
    Sargent
    Zorn
    Sorolla
    Michael Hussar

Check out those guys and keep this up. You are going to do some beautiful work if you keep applying yourself. These are great so far...just more more more is all I can say at this point. Keep going!!

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the latest one. I initially did it in black and white like the others but then decided I wanted it to be in color because, well, I just felt like having a sweet busted face deserved a go at with color. This turned out to be really difficult, adding color to a finished grayscale image and I looked everywhere for people talking about their process. It seems like everyone does that differently. I ended up making overlay layers and just using trial and error to get the tones right (I was working from a photo at this point, since my face had healed). I feel like I got pretty close, but am not completely satisfied. I do think it's an improvement overall from the last one, so I'm happy about that.Name:  7-2 Portrait Color 2sm.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  236.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow who did you fight?
    portrait looks awesome though :p

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ashess! One of my friends, unfortunately. Made for a sweet self portrait opportunity though!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dodus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah. that is unfortunate. but indeed a good chance.

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is an incredible portrait...really beautifully done and great work capturing the moment and mood, which is very impactful. I hope you will continue through level up as I am really interested to see where you go with your work and would love to see what you do within the program.

Keep up the great work regardless.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason:

Thank you so much for the encouragement!!! I'm in it for the long haul, working on these two assignments with your instruction and guidance has been absolutely massive in giving me the motivation and resources to want to improve my skills. Seeing all the other amazing work is really motivating too. I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome. you are doing inspiring work. keep them coming. you are going to be a hell of a good figure painter and portrait artist. just more more more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really too happy with how this one turned out. I wanted to do one in a darker key, and lighting-wise I thought I had a pretty good set up with the shadow shape nearly black and the light side in high contrast...but it just looks kind of off. I think I started off with bad values overall and then spent the rest of the time trying to fix things. I also for some reason just completely forgot how to wield my custom blender brushes and couldn't get them to do what I wanted to at all. Finally after spending way too much time on this, I'm ready to call it good and give another one a better try. On the plus side, I did make some cool custom brushes that hopefully I'll be able to use going forward.Name:  7-22 Portrait 2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  141.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is ok to work on images where you experiment more. some will be more successful than others.

Look for more accurate planar shapes, and shapes which better describe the forms. Your simplification can sometimes not accurately describe the form and I think there is room for improvement there. Take a look at 3d models...the mesh...for heads. A quick google search for 3d model head mesh will show you how modelers describe forms with shapes that accurately wrap around the overall structure.

keep it up!

jm

Members who have read this thread: 48