FZD vs 3d SENSE vs GNOMON(1yr course) PROS n CONS

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FZD vs 3d SENSE vs GNOMON(1yr course) PROS n CONS

Hi guys,
    Just narrowing down on colleges providing a 1year course(basic foundation to finished art).

If you guys know of anymore 1 year course(great if cheaper than the ones above)do let me know.

Fzd n 3d sense have almost double d fee of gnomon. Wanna know what more they teach for d huge amount?

Hope to get some replies to set my career on track.

Thankyou

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gnomon is good if you want a solid standing in the world of VFX and CG. They're focused mostly on that.
    3DSense is best for Concept Art/Illustration (According to me at least)
    FZD is best for Concept Design/Art (Feng Zhu focuses mostly on designing for movies/films/video games. NOT Animation.)

The best part is that FZD and 3DSense have solid courses on foundation where conceptart/design is concerned so even if you suck at drawing, they'll pick you up and force you to slog your butt off through hard work. No such word as inborn talent or hardwired genetics there, so no misconceptions. Plain reality.

Also, another awesome school is: www.aanda.co.in
    It's in India though and they're pretty new and affordable. Their curriculum is pretty awesome too. I'm going there next Jan
    FZD/3Dsense - maybe after I'm done with Goa and save up a lot of money to be able to afford it

But you should remember this. Don't just rely on schools for leveling up your skills. They won't help you get a job or turn you into a hero. In the end, it's you and only you who puts in the work. The initiative should come from your side and you should put in the hours. Schools are just a pathway to your huge journey where you get guidance, support and the environment needed for effective/hardcore study. They're not a factory that churns out noobs to pro artists. But if you're serious enough, you should set up your own environment of study no matter what the circumstances and understand the philosophy of hard work, perseverance and determination. Don't jump into the scenes half heartedly.
    Open a sketchbook thread here in the site and keep drawing everyday and posting

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaioken20XGoku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey kaioken
    Thanx for the great advice ..gonna checkout d school in goa
    but about d gnomon course they do have a 1yr entertainment design track which focusses on 2d concept design. Just need to know if they have a scholarship for international students?...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaioken20XGoku View Post
    But you should remember this. Don't just rely on schools for leveling up your skills. They won't help you get a job or turn you into a hero. In the end, it's you and only you who puts in the work. The initiative should come from your side and you should put in the hours.
    Also, be aware that one year is short, and art education needs time. I have yet to see somebody going from zero to hero in one single year. It is like creating a baby: most women take 9 months, some can do it in a few months less, but even an incredibly motivated wannabee mother cannot do it in one month.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jester..I totally agree that 1year is pretty less to learn all the processes..but then again I do have my constraints of living in another country(paying off the loans after)

Lets see where my art takes me after a year..thanks for the advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SOURAVACHARYA View Post
    Hey kaioken
    Thanx for the great advice ..gonna checkout d school in goa
    but about d gnomon course they do have a 1yr entertainment design track which focusses on 2d concept design. Just need to know if they have a scholarship for international students?...
    You can check it out on their site.
    Personally, I think that if you go for concept design. Go for Feng Zhu's school. It comes to 22 lacs when you convert USD to INR plus you get original copies of hardware/software and even get to keep it upon course completion. Food is cheap in Singapore too. 3DSense costs around the same amount with VISA fees and stuff.

If you go for Illustration, 3DSense is the best
    If you're not sure and want to dive in both Illustration/Animation/Concept Art then go the Animation and Art School, Goa to get the learning and exposure and be able to afford it. That's what I'm doing at least. Once you get the grip after learning, you'll be more easily be able to decide what you want to specialize in for life, from a career point of view. And if you wanna be a jack of all trades and master of one, then even better!

But one word of advice: Visual Library
    If you're new to drawing, then you learn some basic observational drawing and keep building a visual library of images in your head by watching movies, gameplays, reading books, traveling a bit etc
    Art and design will just bridge the gap in your skills. The ideas need to come from your head. That's what Feng Zhu said in his Design Cinema episodes on his website, that besides the learning curve of drawing which can be equal to all, the main factor that separates professional work and insane work is the ideas and exp. Which you can't get from any course in the world and have to absorb from life and things around you personally

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VISUAL LIBRARY i am improving on...thanx kaioken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this is the exact same question I had, and this is a really recent thread! I've been looking at 1 year programs as well for concept art digital design etc..
    As much as I would like to go to Art Centre or other 4 year design schools, money is a big issue.

From my research, Gnomon is the best for 3D as others have said. I also read that the 2D 1 year program is there for people that want to do their 3D program to build a portfolio. So it is (in my opinion) not entirely structured for a full concept art experience. If you do want to do 3D though, this is the best option but would put the price tag even higher than FZD or 3D Sense.

3D Sense I haven't found much info on, but judging from the student work on the site, I am a little put off on the quality. Though I do like the focus on illustration as well.

Then there's FZD which you can read all about everywhere. It is a really great design school by a great design professional.

I have not heard of the school kaioken mentioned, but will look into it.

I don't know if you have a preference yet, but since I'm in the same boat I'll share my thoughts.

So as I said earlier, Gnomon is more for 3D, but would be more expensive if I went into it for 3D. And their 1 year 2D program seems more for building your way into their 3D program. So that leaves 3D Sense and FZD. And that's when I choose to go into FZD (hopefully) over 3D Sense because they cost roughly the same, and if I were to save up enough money to get into one of the two, I'd choose the more well-known design school.

...SO I reread your first post and if you wanted a art foundation course then maybe Gnomon can work for you. It is a lot cheaper and is intended for people to build a portfolio off of (to go into their 3D program or whatever else). I don't know your skill level, but do listen to kaioken and his advice! Also, if you are just looking for foundation work, I am sure there are schools closer to home that can offer it. No need to travel around the world for it!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chinagami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chinagami
    I can't thank you enough for clearing my doubts on d Gnomon 1year course...was very confused.It's basically (indirectly) a step to enter their 3d courses.

You're right about improving my foundation by finding someplace near by..why travel halfway round d world just for that.
    If you could suggest on tutorials n books to improve my foundations please feel free.Would really appreciate that.

In the mean time I'll be working on my basics to gear up for the intense course at FZD.I hope they start giving financial aids/scholarships for international students by next year. Would let me breathe ...

Anyways thanks again for the great advice!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just start up a sketchbook thread and start posting some drawings. People will automatically give you suggestions on how to go about what.
    But basically the steps to drawing fundamentals is
    1. Observational Drawng
    2. Perspective and Composition
    3. Light,Form and Rendering Textures
    4. Figure Drawing and Anatomy
    5. Color

There are tons of books and DVDs on these subjects.
    I'm a visual learner so I learn from videos and supplement with some life drawing sometimes.
    And check out the: http://www.100dayartchallenge.com/

You might get some ideas by watching people learn from there too

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Members who have read this thread: 57