Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pushing speed paints further ?

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  1.08 MB

I was wondering how can I push my speed paints further ? This is bad. The idea is generally there but I want to be able to push these further. I'm assuming that pushing perspective will help quite a bit. but I want to get that very interesting grip that keeps the eye interested... I want there to be more detail but I don't want the detail to be very...messy and out of order? It's a speed paint I know but there is something about this that is entirely off. The figure isn't all the captivating either...

The entire thing took about an hour and thirty minutes.

Thanks for reading !

Last edited by ChaseNNN; May 29th, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no expert...but by the looks of things you've relied too much on textures too early. I think it would be better to use a single brush of high opacity for the entire painting, focusing on values and composition rather than too much colour and texture. You say you want detail but i'm afraid with speedpaints you can't really do that until you've got the basic feel of the painting down.

My advice is to do thumbnails, references from photos that have the same atmosphere you're trying to create. Only spend...15-30 minutes on each, doing as many as you can so you don't get over attached to them and start blocking in detail too early. When you have a whole bunch of them, choose one to put detail into, but ONLY once you've sorted the perspective and composition, possibly using the guys at CA to give you a hand. Hopefully after a few rounds of this you will notice an improvement.

My CA sketchbook- Please help with some critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I need to stick with a single brush instead of using other ones to add textures early in. Thumbnails would be a much faster way to do things as well. I'll take your advice and start limiting them to 15-30 minutes and doing more studies from photographs. Just gotta keep at it I suppose !

Thanks !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speed painting is a no no. Learn the fundamentals and take your time to get it right, speed comes with practice and is not going to give you results if you just try to rush it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaximusT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest that you might want to try just painting in black and white for a while. Get your values down and then move to colour when you're ready.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fundamentals are defiantly important, I want to learn to get depth and values down quickly. Speed paintings will help me learn where and how to put my first efforts in quickly and effectively. I'm not going to bee doing speed paints 24/7 but I'd like to know how to establish the over all depth and feeling fairly quickly. My new routine is doing multiple thumbnail studies and choosing favorites to refine. Once I get enough experience I will then continue to apply what I've learned to my own color comps.

Thanks for the comment !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, monochromatic paintings should be very helpful. I think I'll balance doing both monochromatic and colored paintings to promote a steady growth in painting...

Thanks !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to know how to get depth and value quickly you need to learn how to do it properly. As i said, its pointless trying to do it fast because its not going to give your proper results. I understand what you are trying to achieve but speed will come, learners should never rush something. Get it right however long it takes, and the keep practicing the same techniques again and again and you will get faster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseNNN View Post
    I want to learn to get depth and values down quickly. Speed paintings will help me learn
    They won't.

Speedpaintings have their place in the creative process and yes, they can be educational as well. But only really to the proficient painter, who can learn how to exypand his toolkit with tricks and how to cut corners with those. For a beginner, they are more hurtful than useful though.

Nothing wrong with doing speedpaintings for "fun", whatever floats your boat. Just don't expect to learn anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast" - Dave Sim

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course I'm not going to be doing speed painting 24/7 all the time. Mixing both refined painting and speed painting will set a steady course.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true.

Members who have read this thread: 34