NSFW - Nudity Galley katamari

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Galley katamari

Galley katamari

Picking stuff up as I go.

Name:  cover image.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  158.7 KB

HEEEEEEY, I had a little time today to take some photos of my sketchbooks, I wanted to get 'em up here so I could chart my progress a little and maybe to get a little advice what to do next.

So, I started drawing with purpose about a year and a half ago, mainly figures, working my way through some of Loomis using a lot of photo ref. I had drawn a bit before this; when I was a teen I had one of those how to draw manga that I drew from every now and again, I would do copies of movie posters sometimes and things of that nature, but all rather aimless.

Some pages from the "first" sketchbook:

Name:  old sb 002.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  571.3 KB

Name:  old sb 001.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  606.4 KB

Name:  old sb 005.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  236.1 KB

Name:  old sb 004.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  522.0 KB

Name:  old sb 003.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  602.3 KB

I didn't really like Loomis, I think I found his manikin more complicated to draw than just drawing the figure straight off, I guess because I couldn't relate it to the real world. After doing a bit of research I moved on Vilppu when I started a new sketchbook. around this time I also discovered Proko on youtube.

I've not included and gesture or bean drawing, just a section of figure figures:

Name:  old sb 012.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  265.4 KB

Name:  old sb 006.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  264.6 KB

Name:  old sb 007.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  283.9 KB

Name:  old sb 009.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  239.6 KB

Name:  old sb 010.jpg
Size:  269.0 KB

Name:  old sb 008.jpg
Size:  272.4 KB

Name:  old sb 011.jpg
Size:  274.4 KB

I think I had some success with villpu's teaching but when I came to start the next sketchbook I decided to try Bridgeman and push to learn some anatomy. It was at this point that I starting going to figure drawing sessions, the first few drawing here are from some of them

Name:  old sb 013.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  682.7 KB

Name:  old sb 014.jpg
Size:  677.5 KB

Name:  old sb 015.jpg
Size:  684.8 KB

Name:  old sb 016.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  726.0 KB

Name:  old sb 017.jpg
Size:  684.2 KB

Name:  old sb 018.jpg
Size:  712.6 KB

Name:  old sb end.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  463.0 KB

The last image was drawn (with no ref) towards the end of March and was the last figure drawing I did, mainly through frustration. I think I made okay improvement but I didn't even know where to begin when it came to creating a finished illustration or concept so since then I've switch my energy over to digital painting, doing some masters studies and a couple of EOWs trying an 'on the job' style of learning.

oh and drawing faces, because I can do it sneakily on the train and I've always been terrible at it ( gonna post some of that work a little later)

does this change of direction make sense?

Last edited by Joegalley; June 1st, 2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: I wanted my old sketchbook stuff at the top
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Quick update

To help with learning how to draw faces and for fun I'm gonna make little animations for the turns, tilts and changes in perspective. here is the first one covering turning of the head at eye level

Name:  skull-animation.gif
Size:  52.9 KB

And here is a couple of drawings from reference for a down tilt. the way I plan on doing the animations is to spend a few days drawing from ref. then animate from memory.

Name:  skull tilt.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  90.5 KB

value study:

Name:  caesarian-fun-1879_polenov.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  456.3 KB

I'll be working on this more throughout the week

Last edited by Joegalley; June 1st, 2014 at 06:31 AM.

long work day, so just a small update

2hrs in, because I'm slooow

Name:  caesarian-fun-1879_polenov 2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  291.2 KB

Here is a Selection of the digital painting I've been trying. it's all landscapes from ref or Old Masters studies

Name:  colour study 001.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  Helen Levitt Photo Study.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  238.9 KB

Name:  mountain study 1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  study.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  1.39 MB

Name:  studys.jpg
Size:  271.3 KB

Last edited by Joegalley; June 1st, 2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: post moved down to make room for old work in first entry

Face drawing (mostly peeps on the train)

Name:  irl sketchbooking 001.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  685.7 KB

Name:  irl sketchbooking 002.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  710.6 KB

Name:  irl sketchbooking 003.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  707.7 KB

annnd trying the down tilt animation thang.

Name:  skull-tilt-down-show.gif
Size:  23.7 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

s'more faces, from imagination

Name:  irl sketchbooking 004.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  730.9 KB

WAAII... INCREDIBLE.

Please.. Please keep drawing here.

Moremoremore!

I love the drawings of the train folk. There's tons of personality to your drawings.

I think if I were going to give you any advice, it would be to push outside your comfort zone. Do the things you find the hardest to do, and find a way to make them fun. I think that's key-- Because if we hate anything we do, we won't be able to improve as well as if we like it.

And I'm good at coming up with ideas, so if you posit what you find to be hard or no-fun, I will shoot out a billion ideas to try to help put it into another perspective to make it fun (It'd also help to know your favourite things to draw too, if you want ideas!)

Do some value studies, cast drawings, anatomy, life drawings, perspective:perspective:perspective!

OVER 9000!

Misty Feather: damn that comment made me smile, thank you! Perspective is the devil, I keep thinking it's gonna be easy, just a few simple rules to follow but nothing ever turns out looking right, I reckon it's something to do with scale or lenses, I wish I could get lenses to sit right in my brain. it might just be that I find it hard to concentrate to the very end of perspective practice, perspective is tedious. Wait, that's probs the wrong attitude, hold on... Perspective is... erm, rad!

I tried it anyway. I live in Manchester, UK and I love it, it's all old and industrial so my perspective practice is mainly gonna be drawing some of the buildings around here.

This is a start I made to drawing the old fire station, I can see it from my room

Name:  perspective IRL.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  290.1 KB

and a couple of sketches of it

Name:  perspective IRL 2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  174.1 KB

Drew a few faces too, just photo ref. from Quickpose

Name:  irl sketchbooking 005.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  262.9 KB

I dont feel like i've done enough today so i'll post an old EOW I had a go at to keep it a bit more interesting

Name:  spider final 3.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  448.3 KB

might see if I can fit a bit of painting in before sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Joegalley View Post
    Misty Feather: damn that comment made me smile, thank you! Perspective is the devil, I keep thinking it's gonna be easy, just a few simple rules to follow but nothing ever turns out looking right, I reckon it's something to do with scale or lenses, I wish I could get lenses to sit right in my brain. it might just be that I find it hard to concentrate to the very end of perspective practice, perspective is tedious. Wait, that's probs the wrong attitude, hold on... Perspective is... erm, rad!

I tried it anyway. I live in Manchester, UK and I love it, it's all old and industrial so my perspective practice is mainly gonna be drawing some of the buildings around here.

This is a start I made to drawing the old fire station, I can see it from my room

Name:  perspective IRL.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  290.1 KB

and a couple of sketches of it

Name:  perspective IRL 2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  174.1 KB

Drew a few faces too, just photo ref. from Quickpose

Name:  irl sketchbooking 005.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  262.9 KB

I dont feel like i've done enough today so i'll post an old EOW I had a go at to keep it a bit more interesting

Name:  spider final 3.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  448.3 KB

might see if I can fit a bit of painting in before sleep
    Wow, amazing! You've got a really good handle on things.

I'm glad you're choosing subject material that you like. That's really key! And that you're willing to do the tedious stuff as well as the fun stuff says a whole WHOLE lot about your dedication! You're gonna get there in no time at all!

I really need to start pushing my perspective study too. Perspective is in everything, and I have an intuitive tenuous grasp of it, but I really have to reach past and pull up the hard stuff. It is tedious, but I think if you try enough at something, once it clicks, it becomes REALLY fun!

WIP for EOW

Name:  eow.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  521.0 KB

now sleep

Oh goodness amazing sketches. They're so fun to look at especially the faces. Your figures look so fluid and the feet study page looks amazing. Very inspiring so keep up the good work!

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Hey

Spent the day doing something for EOW so I don't know if I'll get many sketches up today, might try and draw some faces later at least but I'm pretty beat.

Here is the EOW piece, the topic was 'The wall' tried to keep it simple since I paint so gosh darn slowly and left it until the last day.

Name:  eow 3.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  661.5 KB

Uyeno: Thanks man! you totes beat me hands down when it comes to drawing fluid figures though

Mistey: Hasn't clicked yet I remain optimistic though. Scott Robinson has a really good book that deals with perspective called how to draw which might be fun for you to check out if your looking to do some perspective work, comes with videos too. I'm keeping an eye on your sketchbook to make sure you do some perspective too, since you got me working on it

tried to paint some face

Name:  face paint.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  253.1 KB

Very nice EOW, love your pen drawings and the last painted faces are full of personality. You are doing great, keep it up!

just a few updates

Birthday card (just needs inking), so many birthdays this month, I wish I had money so I could buy presents like a normal person. And some people sketching

Name:  irl sketchbooking 006.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  549.8 KB

finished the underlay for the perspective work

Name:  perspective IRL 3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  139.5 KB

and more work on the value study

Name:  caesarian-fun-1879_polenov 3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  148.5 KB

kinda boring updates, sry! I've spent a lot of time trying to get the up turn skull animation right, i couldn't find any good ref for a skull looking up though. Know any?

Haah, thanks I really should do some perspective work. I'm looking into it, but kind of restless right now. Need to get back into the game.

Keep up the awesome work, everything's looking so fantastic.

update time!

June is the month of birthdays and work so arty stuff has taken a back seat, but now it's all starting to quite down I can get back on it happy days.

Here are a few things that I made for gifts, there's a card and print design for a bag (blue moon for a city fan) and a stegosaurus for a vest print

Name:  finished works.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  220.6 KB

here is a picture of the vest too

Name:  steg vest.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  240.1 KB

annnd back drawing faces again tried something new for the train drawings by doing a pencil underlay then inking it up when I'm not being thrown around. also started drawing people on my lunch break, I work in a cafe so alotta people I can draw, took me a while to get the confidence to draw in such a public place, especially around people that I know. still hide the Sketchbook, just a lil'

Name:  irl sketchbooking 007.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  677.9 KB

plan on going back to some life drawing soon so i'm getting back to drawing a few figures too, trying to do it with just pen.

Fun!

There's something that surprises me everytime that I doodle with a ballpoint pen. I think of it almost like cheating-- Like it's not really drawing or something silly like that. But the pen has a kind of liberating feel to it that I like, and am always in awe when others like you have such a command over it. Keep up the great work.

EEP, it's been 4 weeks :/

here is some stuff.

Blaaaaaaaaaaa

tried doing some vector stuffs for a graphic design job I applied for

Name:  LOGOS.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  Bobby DEE 2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  375.2 KB

Name:  jc.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  263.0 KB

Name:  gIRAFF.jpg
Size:  260.5 KB

Unfinished CHOW

Name:  CHOW- pirate chef.jpg
Size:  157.7 KB

Good old Face painting (tried to get better doing digital line work)

Name:  face pait 2.jpg
Size:  178.8 KB

SPEEEEEED Painting...

Name:  bike rain.jpg
Size:  222.8 KB

Shaddy Study

Name:  1-Safadi-Aguille-Du-Midi-Chamonix-France.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  1.49 MB

More SPEEEEEED painting

Name:  building trains.jpg
Size:  248.7 KB

old EOW

Name:  eow mountain village final.jpg
Size:  246.1 KB

WIP for a landscape photo ref copy

Name:  Untitled3.jpg
Size:  850.2 KB

All over the place I am, thinking about just focusing on environment design so I don't feel quite as lost

I think there's a certain ebb and flow for the artist-- We scatter and do many things, then we hone in and focus on one thing, then we get restless and scatter again. Just keep doing what you're doing. Everything you post has been gold, and continues to ascend!

Members who have read this thread: 31