Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

Aurosin's sketchbook

A quick introduction : I am a girl who currently lives in sweden who feels like I'm getting a bit too old without really improving at all. I'm absolutely stuck and that gets me stressed out which makes me not want to draw at all.

So i'm making this thread in hope of that i'll get some tips and critiques which will hopefully help to get me motivated to draw more as well as doing more studies. (I don't do a lot of studies, except for the ones i have to do in school)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aurosin; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So i'll start off with some bad unedited photos of one or two pages from my sketchbook.
    Name:  20140527_180839.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  1.09 MB
    Name:  20140527_180906.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  20140527_181328.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  1.02 MB

(i'm sorry if the pic's are too big.)

Thanks
    Welcome there! I like your style, it's cute and has some flow.

This frustration is really common. Stop, breath and remember to have some fun. At the moment you need to focus on trying new things just to have fun instead of freaking out because you "must improve asap!". Remember why you draw, regain your motivation.

You seem to enjoy drawing faces. Why don't you try to explore the shapes of the head? Take a look at the Asaro's Head:

Aurosin's sketchbook
    (Many angles here)

One of its sides contains the simplified, main shapes of the head, the other is detailed, with more planes. You don't need to rush and make tons of studies right now, just look at it, watch how the forehead curves, how the cheekbones work, the eye and eyelids shapes, trace the contours mentally, as if you were running your fingers on the sculpture.

Go find artworks from artists you absolutely love. With the sculpture in mind look at how they define the head shapes. How do they apply these principles? How do they break them?

Now, in a random drawing apply one or two details you've observed. It can be the cheekbones-forehead side plane, it can be a more pronounced lower eyelid, a different "fold" under the lips, it's your call. Explore it like a child playing with a new toy, discover it, step out the familiar formulas a little bit.

Thanks
    Name:  th.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  224.4 KB
    Name:  dad.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  263.0 KB

Some rather old things i did on sai. They both look really off. I might try to redo them just to see if i can.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vielmond View Post
    Welcome there! I like your style, it's cute and has some flow.

This frustration is really common. Stop, breath and remember to have some fun. At the moment you need to focus on trying new things just to have fun instead of freaking out because you "must improve asap!". Remember why you draw, regain your motivation.

You seem to enjoy drawing faces. Why don't you try to explore the shapes of the head? Take a look at the Asaro's Head:

Aurosin's sketchbook
    (Many angles here)

One of its sides contains the simplified, main shapes of the head, the other is detailed, with more planes. You don't need to rush and make tons of studies right now, just look at it, watch how the forehead curves, how the cheekbones work, the eye and eyelids shapes, trace the contours mentally, as if you were running your fingers on the sculpture.

Go find artworks from artists you absolutely love. With the sculpture in mind look at how they define the head shapes. How do they apply these principles? How do they break them?

Now, in a random drawing apply one or two details you've observed. It can be the cheekbones-forehead side plane, it can be a more pronounced lower eyelid, a different "fold" under the lips, it's your call. Explore it like a child playing with a new toy, discover it, step out the familiar formulas a little bit.
    Wow thank you That's some great advice and i'll definitely put them to use. Yeah female faces are what i like drawing the most, sadly it's my safe zone. Bodies and male faces really scare me but i've been trying to break through.

Thanks
    Name:  20140527_192244.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  1.21 MB

So this painting are about 4-5 months old, did it for school. I tried to work by only using the primary colors ( Red, blue, yellow.) As well as black and white. The paint is acrylics. I'm not very proud of this. But i thought i'd post it in case someone had some helpful advice/Critique.

Thanks
    Name:  Facestudies.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  93.2 KB
    two head studies. i tried.. Its a while between them that's why the brushsizes are different.

Thanks
    Those color pencil sketches look awesome

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaioken20XGoku View Post
    Those color pencil sketches look awesome
    Thank you, i had just bought new pencils at that time

Thanks

watercolors/aquarelle

Name:  20140528_141736.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  1.06 MB
    Name:  20140528_141714.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  20140528_141650.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  1.08 MB
    Name:  20140528_141622.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  1.16 MB

Some more recent watercolor/aquarelle things. (2-4 weeks ago) sorry the light in my room was real bad when i took the pics.

Thanks
    Name:  något.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  177.7 KB
    So the pen pressure on my tablet got messed up, but i decided to experiment for a while and it enden up like this,

Thanks
    Name:  rosa.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  85.1 KB
    WIP. So i'm trying to do a study, the subject is Ginger from Ginger and Rosa, but i just cant seem to get the hang of her. i'll probably update this.

Thanks
    Hey! I know we're both from Sweden but I'll write in English anyway! Keeping things real you know!

Anyway -- Things doesn't look bad at all, and you shouldn't feel like your time is running out. Everyone feels like the time is running by too fast at times, so I can definitely feel the frustration and the stress. Like Vielmond said, take a deep breath and relax. Art is no competition, and it shouldn't be. Of course it feels like one at times, but lets just put that thought aside, it's pure nonsense. Becoming better at art is an individual journey, and getting good (what is good and bad, can one ask...) takes time but once you reach your goals, things have never felt better. It doesn't matter if you're 20, 30, 50, the satisfaction from getting better at something will always feel divine.

The most important thing in my opinion to get better at art is to just draw. Draw draw draw draw. Do anything. Do not care whether it feels right or wrong, just draw. Studies will be needed, but getting a good drawing and painting rhythm is the most important thing. (after passion, and since you're at conceptart making this thread, you obviously have a passion for art!) So basically, draw draw draw. Draw from reference, draw from mind. Observe, learn and have fun!

At this point I would suggest that you drew other things such as male faces or anything else really. Anything that takes you out of your comfort zone is good. Your female faces are beautiful already, so they'll get better as you draw other things. You're still allowed, and will always be, to have fun!

Best of luck!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4