Sketchbook: Heavens help me. Aurosin's sketchbook thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heavens help me. Aurosin's sketchbook thread

A quick introduction : I am a girl who currently lives in sweden who feels like I'm getting a bit too old without really improving at all. I'm absolutely stuck and that gets me stressed out which makes me not want to draw at all.

So i'm making this thread in hope of that i'll get some tips and critiques which will hopefully help to get me motivated to draw more as well as doing more studies. (I don't do a lot of studies, except for the ones i have to do in school)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aurosin; May 27th, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i'll start off with some bad unedited photos of one or two pages from my sketchbook.
    Name:  20140527_180839.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  1.09 MB
    Name:  20140527_180906.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  20140527_181328.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  1.02 MB

(i'm sorry if the pic's are too big.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome there! I like your style, it's cute and has some flow.

This frustration is really common. Stop, breath and remember to have some fun. At the moment you need to focus on trying new things just to have fun instead of freaking out because you "must improve asap!". Remember why you draw, regain your motivation.

You seem to enjoy drawing faces. Why don't you try to explore the shapes of the head? Take a look at the Asaro's Head:

(Many angles here)

One of its sides contains the simplified, main shapes of the head, the other is detailed, with more planes. You don't need to rush and make tons of studies right now, just look at it, watch how the forehead curves, how the cheekbones work, the eye and eyelids shapes, trace the contours mentally, as if you were running your fingers on the sculpture.

Go find artworks from artists you absolutely love. With the sculpture in mind look at how they define the head shapes. How do they apply these principles? How do they break them?

Now, in a random drawing apply one or two details you've observed. It can be the cheekbones-forehead side plane, it can be a more pronounced lower eyelid, a different "fold" under the lips, it's your call. Explore it like a child playing with a new toy, discover it, step out the familiar formulas a little bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  th.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  224.4 KB
    Name:  dad.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  263.0 KB

Some rather old things i did on sai. They both look really off. I might try to redo them just to see if i can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vielmond View Post
    Welcome there! I like your style, it's cute and has some flow.

This frustration is really common. Stop, breath and remember to have some fun. At the moment you need to focus on trying new things just to have fun instead of freaking out because you "must improve asap!". Remember why you draw, regain your motivation.

You seem to enjoy drawing faces. Why don't you try to explore the shapes of the head? Take a look at the Asaro's Head:

(Many angles here)

One of its sides contains the simplified, main shapes of the head, the other is detailed, with more planes. You don't need to rush and make tons of studies right now, just look at it, watch how the forehead curves, how the cheekbones work, the eye and eyelids shapes, trace the contours mentally, as if you were running your fingers on the sculpture.

Go find artworks from artists you absolutely love. With the sculpture in mind look at how they define the head shapes. How do they apply these principles? How do they break them?

Now, in a random drawing apply one or two details you've observed. It can be the cheekbones-forehead side plane, it can be a more pronounced lower eyelid, a different "fold" under the lips, it's your call. Explore it like a child playing with a new toy, discover it, step out the familiar formulas a little bit.
    Wow thank you That's some great advice and i'll definitely put them to use. Yeah female faces are what i like drawing the most, sadly it's my safe zone. Bodies and male faces really scare me but i've been trying to break through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  20140527_192244.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  1.21 MB

So this painting are about 4-5 months old, did it for school. I tried to work by only using the primary colors ( Red, blue, yellow.) As well as black and white. The paint is acrylics. I'm not very proud of this. But i thought i'd post it in case someone had some helpful advice/Critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Facestudies.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  93.2 KB
    two head studies. i tried.. Its a while between them that's why the brushsizes are different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those color pencil sketches look awesome

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaioken20XGoku View Post
    Those color pencil sketches look awesome
    Thank you, i had just bought new pencils at that time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

watercolors/aquarelle

Name:  20140528_141736.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  1.06 MB
    Name:  20140528_141714.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  20140528_141650.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  1.08 MB
    Name:  20140528_141622.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  1.16 MB

Some more recent watercolor/aquarelle things. (2-4 weeks ago) sorry the light in my room was real bad when i took the pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  något.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  177.7 KB
    So the pen pressure on my tablet got messed up, but i decided to experiment for a while and it enden up like this,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  rosa.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  85.1 KB
    WIP. So i'm trying to do a study, the subject is Ginger from Ginger and Rosa, but i just cant seem to get the hang of her. i'll probably update this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I know we're both from Sweden but I'll write in English anyway! Keeping things real you know!

Anyway -- Things doesn't look bad at all, and you shouldn't feel like your time is running out. Everyone feels like the time is running by too fast at times, so I can definitely feel the frustration and the stress. Like Vielmond said, take a deep breath and relax. Art is no competition, and it shouldn't be. Of course it feels like one at times, but lets just put that thought aside, it's pure nonsense. Becoming better at art is an individual journey, and getting good (what is good and bad, can one ask...) takes time but once you reach your goals, things have never felt better. It doesn't matter if you're 20, 30, 50, the satisfaction from getting better at something will always feel divine.

The most important thing in my opinion to get better at art is to just draw. Draw draw draw draw. Do anything. Do not care whether it feels right or wrong, just draw. Studies will be needed, but getting a good drawing and painting rhythm is the most important thing. (after passion, and since you're at conceptart making this thread, you obviously have a passion for art!) So basically, draw draw draw. Draw from reference, draw from mind. Observe, learn and have fun!

At this point I would suggest that you drew other things such as male faces or anything else really. Anything that takes you out of your comfort zone is good. Your female faces are beautiful already, so they'll get better as you draw other things. You're still allowed, and will always be, to have fun!

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Uiriamu View Post
    Hey! I know we're both from Sweden but I'll write in English anyway! Keeping things real you know!

Anyway -- Things doesn't look bad at all, and you shouldn't feel like your time is running out. Everyone feels like the time is running by too fast at times, so I can definitely feel the frustration and the stress. Like Vielmond said, take a deep breath and relax. Art is no competition, and it shouldn't be. Of course it feels like one at times, but lets just put that thought aside, it's pure nonsense. Becoming better at art is an individual journey, and getting good (what is good and bad, can one ask...) takes time but once you reach your goals, things have never felt better. It doesn't matter if you're 20, 30, 50, the satisfaction from getting better at something will always feel divine.

The most important thing in my opinion to get better at art is to just draw. Draw draw draw draw. Do anything. Do not care whether it feels right or wrong, just draw. Studies will be needed, but getting a good drawing and painting rhythm is the most important thing. (after passion, and since you're at conceptart making this thread, you obviously have a passion for art!) So basically, draw draw draw. Draw from reference, draw from mind. Observe, learn and have fun!

At this point I would suggest that you drew other things such as male faces or anything else really. Anything that takes you out of your comfort zone is good. Your female faces are beautiful already, so they'll get better as you draw other things. You're still allowed, and will always be, to have fun!

Best of luck!
    Yeah i know i should step out of my comfort zone but it really scares me for some reason. I have tried to force myself to draw boys but they do always turn out a bit too feminine. But it's something i'll have to fight through. Thank you for your advices

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stepping out of the comfort zone will always be scary, for everyone. But it's worth it considering what the rewards for doing it are. Imagine how much stepping out of the comfort zone the old masters did, Zorn, Sargent, Gerome, Ingres to only mention a few - and look where they ended up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stepping out of the comfort zone will always be scary, for everyone. But it's worth it considering what the rewards for doing it are. Imagine how much stepping out of the comfort zone the old masters did, Zorn, Sargent, Gerome, Ingres to only mention a few - and look where they ended up?
    Yeah. But then there's picasso and he was already kickass when he was like 14 lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Picasso was obviously not human.

Screw him!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Picasso was obviously not human.

Screw him!
    Lol no i think he was human.. with extra super powers. (some x-men shit going on.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good morning.

Name:  duj.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  192.6 KB
    Just woke up, quick morning sketch, I used mild references..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study

So i decided to do a portrait study.
    Name:  leyen.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  95.8 KB
    I chose an old, blurry photo of one of my favorite artist : JC Leyendecker (i adore his work). Anyway i know it doesn't look like him at all. And i had lots of problems trying to define all the shapes and values and so on. I feel like i constantly have to remind myself that i'm doing this for practice to be able to improve. Not to prove to myself that i can do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

creepy

i've been wanting to draw on the computer all day but the pen pressure on my tablet have been messed up. So when i finally got it to work i suddenly had no inspiration or motivation. (not an unusual thing for me..) But i decided to scribble something from my head, tried to make it look boy-ish but it turned out kind of creepy and statue-like?
    Name:  jhd.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  79.9 KB
    (Gosh i really need to draw more bodies but i figured that i'll start drawing more male heads to start with..)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurosin View Post
    i've been wanting to draw on the computer all day but the pen pressure on my tablet have been messed up. So when i finally got it to work i suddenly had no inspiration or motivation. (not an unusual thing for me..) But i decided to scribble something from my head, tried to make it look boy-ish but it turned out kind of creepy and statue-like?
    Name:  jhd.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  79.9 KB
    (Gosh i really need to draw more bodies but i figured that i'll start drawing more male heads to start with..)
    You have succeeded. Rejoice! It definitely looks like a boy

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But hey, that portrait looks amazing. Totally boyish and you succeeded with what you wanted to achieve! Keep up the daily studies, even if it's just scribbles. Once you get a good working rhythm, one day wont pass with you not drawing something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaioken20XGoku View Post
    You have succeeded. Rejoice! It definitely looks like a boy
    Haha, maybe but it's still creepy. and it might be a onetime thing. Hopefully not but i'll keep trying to draw mostly males for a while (even though i love my ladies..) until i'm more comfortable with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But hey, that portrait looks amazing. Totally boyish and you succeeded with what you wanted to achieve! Keep up the daily studies, even if it's just scribbles. Once you get a good working rhythm, one day wont pass with you not drawing something.
    Thank you. I might not be posting so much next week since i have loads and loads of homework and tests and so on. But i'll still try to draw something every day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Without much else to do i decided to clean up the sketch i did earlier a bit.. Ugh i don't know if i messed it up even more. It looks so rough - and not in the good way, in some places. Well at least it was somewhat relaxing.
    Name:  wqr.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  123.7 KB
    He reminds me of Prince Gumball from Adventure time. If he only was pink..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Headache

Name:  syh.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  155.5 KB
    Morning sketch. I don't know exactly what possessed me to do this, Maybe it's the headache or the fact that I've been in love with drawing girls with flower crowns on their heads lately, this isn't on the head though.. I should study flowers, this one was from mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  hjdyt.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  75.0 KB
    Sketching while talking to a friend on skype, been kinda down today and tried drawing hands but I just cant wrap my head around it..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I've had one of those days i have when i'm feeling down and unmotivated, so i forced myself to draw some things. These are the most recent hands I've done. Tried to use my hand as reference. ugh. Didn't go so great but hey there's a reason i practice these things.. Advice about how to draw hands are much appreciated.
    Name:  20140531_220931.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  758.1 KB
    sorry for bad pic.

Last edited by Aurosin; June 2nd, 2014 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving your portrait work so far! Your faces have real expression to them.

Weirdly enough I love drawing hands...but everyone has their preferences I guess!
    I find it's easiest when you draw the individual 3D "chunks" of hand, and then draw an outline + fingernails and knuckles after. This stops me from focusing too much on the outline (which if done even a lil bit wrong can make the hand look broken...ow..). I like to draw the palm first (as a meaty, cube like chunk), connect it to the wrist (a sphere and then a cylinder) and then draw each seperate phalange (cylinders or cuboids, whichever), paying close attention to how it's connected to the palm and where it is in relation to the rest of the hand. You draw very dainty-looking hands, but the fingertips also look rather pointy - it may be useful to make them more rounded + squarish, but perhaps that's just a preference. Also, the "lines" you see on your palm, inbetween phalanges and the tendons leading up to the arm all help with making it look in perspective and realistic (I realise maybe you don't want to do super realistic, but I find it easier to do realistic and then simplify). This sounded like a big rant, your hands aren't really that bad! I hope it helped a little at least haha.

My CA sketchbook- Please help with some critique!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Waze For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook