Critique on panting ? (self portrait)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique on panting ? (self portrait)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique on panting ? (self portrait)

Name:  SELF PORTRAIT.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  195.1 KBThanks for viewing my thread !

So for this I literally just grabbed tones and started painting, no line work or anything,which might have been a bad idea...hehe. With this piece I was going for a roughy look but it looks a bit too rough, and I was afraid to use a soft round to start smoothing it out in fear of it becoming air-brushy ? I'd also be nice to get some pointers on handling colors as well !

Thanks !

Practice Makes Perfect
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. It looks awesome *Not sarcasm. Honest opinion* I love the nose part! It has that real rough feeling

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi ChaseNNN, not bad. Check both eye shapes again, and the iris should look circular instead ellipsoid. The philtrums are usually delta-shaped and not parallel (the vertical groove between upper lip and nose), but I don't know how you look. Haha . You should take a look at the nose tip, too. Seen from the side view, it would look like <. this.

Your face is little bit pale, therefore, dont't be afraid of using high saturated colors. They will desaturate automatically while blending them. (but dont't overdue it)

When its to air-brushy, then simply overpaint it again. Thats the benefit of digital art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colours are very muddy, try keeping it cleaner. So is your brushwork and the forms in general have a relatively undefined feel to them. Partially you're also still painting symbols instead of what you see (most prominent in eyes and nose).

I do think you're on the right track though, just back your studies up with some constructional approach if you're not doing it already (Loomis/Bridgman/Asaro etc.) and keep at it. Proficiency will come with time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing wrong with skipping linework and going right to paint. You've done yourself no favor with the even, flat lighting and dead-bang frontal pose, though. Get a strong directional light, like a desk lamp, and let it rake across your face diagonally. Then put your mirror to your left, so you have to turn your head slightly to see it.

What you want are strong, easily discerned pools of light and dark and a three-quarter view of your head, so the structure of your face is clear.

Check out what this guy is doing.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you

Practice Makes Perfect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the whole ellipsoid eyes happens a lot in my faces, I've started to place spheres for the eyeballs and putting lids over them which helps quite a bit but I keep forgetting to actually apply the technique onto my faces haha. Also the nose and philtrums right as well, they look a bit to sharp edged. Next time I'll for sure blend the warm tones into cheeks,nose,ect. I was just scared of ruining it and having to redo a large portion since I tend to not use layers in digital art. Air brushing will for sure be in my next piece to get rid of that over roughed look~

Thanks !

Practice Makes Perfect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My work tends to have a repetitive roughy look, I'll make sure I have more patience rendering forms next time I sketch,paint,ect...

Thanks !

Practice Makes Perfect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes the lighting on this is pretty flat, not really any forms blending smoothly into each other...Doing strong lighting studies will most likely be very beneficial in being able to render forms more accurately I'll defiantly practice harsher sources next time.

Thanks !

Practice Makes Perfect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice painting ChaseNNN, Your face color should be light and constant. You shouldn't use dark color in your face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 34