Getting Serious With Art, Finally

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Getting Serious With Art, Finally

Hello there, I saw no introduction section so I thought I would post an intro here and talk a little about why I am here and what I want to accomplish. Also sorry about the wall of text.

Clearly I am interested in art, gradually have been more interested in it every day. I am at the point now where I want to not only improve but I also want to pursue a self sustaining career in Art and defeat the cliche "Starving Artist".

As far as which career, I don't know yet. I am going to shoot for concept art because I like the idea of someone saying "I need to you draw ____" and I do it. My goal is to improve to where I can through time sustain myself over commissions and freelance as I am not interested in being part of a studio. If at some point I feel I want to pursue a different career then of course I will change my goals.

So where am I right now in my artistic endeavors? Well I am gradually improving. I "started" a few years ago, started looking at tutorials and such on the internet to help me get started. I didn't actually draw much until near the end of last year after a surgery.

I started out on the Sycra forums. These were some of my last posts before I had stopped posting because I became LAZY. Obviously this cant happen again. I heard good things about this forum so I checked it out. I am really interested in this community and what it can offer.

Right now I don't have a set in stone method. I an 22 and have a gratuitous amount of time on my hands, I can't and am not letting it go to waste. I am using a calendar that I mark how much time I spent drawing and what I did every day. I learned this is a good start, it feels really bad to mark on that calendar that I did nothing for that day and it only took about two weeks of the word "nothing" on that calendar to make me get up off my butt, put down the video games, and GET TO WORK.

I am going to start a sketchbook thread, of which I will post every day and as much as I can despite my fear of embarrassing myself. If I do not post every day and don't have a note from my doctor, I request that a forum member chuck a heavy stone at me.

Refer to the link I posted on the Sycra forum to get an idea on where I am. (here is an imgur album link). Right now I am just sketching, trying to get good form, confident lines, gesture, and shading. When I am confident with what I am doing I plan on going onto digital rendering. I have a Bamboo Fun 6" tablet I got about 6 years ago for Photoshop which I can use pretty well.

So far as books go I have Bridgmans Drawing From Life and Scott Robertson How To Draw (I really admire Scott Robertson). I also have a few Gnomon videos that I watch every once in a while.

Hopefully I could find someone I could Skype with, to be there to befriend, help with ideas, critiques, and motivation. I hope I could offer the same to them as well. I am looking forward to being active in this community.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, good luck to you then. Part of the battle is keeping it fun instead of forcing it upon you get what I mean? It's fun to change things up, instead of having yourself locked in a room drawing all day, give yourself trips to places to life draw, visit the museum and draw things your are curious about, go to coffee shops and sketch people. Perhaps even like give yourself fun exercises to do like creating a character model sheet and then taking it to a life drawing class and challenge yourself to draw that character in the model's poses. doing these little things can really get you excited for drawing instead of treating like a chore, "hundred hands better get it done today." Not to exciting is it?

It's curiosity in itself that gets you to ask the right questions about your subject, it's the very act of drawing that gets you to improve and not the result. doing exercises that doesn't end in a great result isn't a bad thing so don't be afraid to do exercises like blind contours(making sure to explore the forms within the subject and not just the silhouette), negative shape studies, gestures(by that I dont mean drawing of the model but more capturing the movement and balance.)

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    I love going to a coffee shop and sketching the people I feel wont look at me. I found the people waiting in line and the ones reading/working are very interesting to draw. Something I really also like to do is draw funny or strange situations or scenarios, people with bulgy eyes, and strange creatures. I found using something like a random art idea generator could get things going too. Surprisingly enough I actually do find some enjoyment in doing a repetitive task. I could actually sit there for an hour or so and draw hundreds of circles or lines and be totally into it.

Thanks
    Keep it up!
    Never be discouraged. And remember, you're not lazy if you're absorbing things along the way. Even if it is mental sketching or watching a movie, you still gain something.
    Just draw from the soul and let instinct play in when you play around with lines and stuff to stir things up a bit. And enjoy the process

And if you don't mind me asking: Do you work or something or are you attending college or online schooling if you're 22? Just curious Not meaning to prick you in.
    And if you have free time, make use of it by enjoying drawing. Nothing beats having fun during free time

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaioken20XGoku View Post
    Do you work or something or are you attending college or online schooling if you're 22? Just curious Not meaning to prick you in.
    Its quite alright, I suppose given my age and situation its worth an explanation. Sorry to say I am not working or in school. I mentioned surgery before, a lot of the reason why I had not been in either is because of how I was before that, and thankfully been better since. I had been doing freelance programming when I could though. School was a major indecision to me, I had 2 years of college for IT and had decided it wasn't for me. College I simply don't know where I want to go. Now that I am better I can undo the major setback it caused for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jogior View Post
    Now that I am better I can undo the major setback it caused for me.
    You get free time, that's in one word - AWESOME to me
    Let's be friends and keep encouraging each other. I started drawing at a late stage too

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Life drawing is great, I always feel like I dont do it enough. I have yet to be called out on drawing anyone, it be interesting to hear peoples stories on this.

Members who have read this thread: 28