Unqualified tutors

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unqualified tutors

Have you ever stumbled upon a tutor or met an art teacher who was clearly unqualified to teach even the basics? I mean someone who just didn't have decent level of draftmanship and was still teaching classes or doing online tutorials.

I am asking this because i watched some video tutorials of a guy namend Martin Perhiniak when i was very young and even then i noticed that there was something weird about his drawings.
    Looking back i can say that the weird thing about them is that they are godawful and now i am glad that i didn't bother to keep watching or taking advice from them.
    For some reason i just remembered this occurrence.

http://design.tutsplus.com/series/di...ers--psd-13535

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are tons of bad tutorials out there. I sometimes go on a trawl of youtube, and gah... Maybe we should set up The Art Police

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    There are tons of bad tutorials out there. I sometimes go on a trawl of youtube, and gah... Maybe we should set up The Art Police
    I'd be for it. 10 lashes for everyone who makes a bad how-to tutorial!
    I feel really sorry for clueless beginners who watch those videos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's not forget the wonderful tutorials from Deviantart. Some of them aren't even tutorials, just a step-by-step process how the artist makes shiny eyes with no words with the label 'tutorial' slapped on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ulbasaur View Post
    Let's not forget the wonderful tutorials from Deviantart. Some of them aren't even tutorials, just a step-by-step process how the artist makes shiny eyes with no words with the label 'tutorial' slapped on it.
    I just browsed Deviantart and found a bunch of the 'tutorials' you where referring to.
    There is a german saying that goes "Das Gegenteil von gut ist gut gemeint." which roughly translates to 'the opposite of good is well-meant'. It applies wonderfully to these things.
    And i always feel like i've been touched inappropriately after i visited Deviantart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like a good artist does not equal a good teacher. You could get taught by the best artists to ever live but they might be crap at teaching you. Just like you should take critique regardless of the other person's merits. Even though with someone who is newer you always have to talk it with a grain of salt. I feel like someone can educate them self to be a better teacher than a skilled artist just winging it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first one I can think of is my high school art teacher...

I don't know if this will count as unqualified tutor but let's just say that her "painting technique" was quite...unconventional.

One of the class's assignments was to make a painting with watercolor pencils.
    As you all probably know they are like colored pencils but you can add water with a paintbrush to mix them.

During the classes she would sit down next to the girls closest to her and do this mini demos were she would paint on the students' painting.

So she would take the student's canvas, color with the watercolor pencils and then she would take the paintbrush,
    BUT! instead of dipping it into the glass of water, like any non-crazy person would do, she would put the paintbrush in her mouth and start sucking it so that the fibers would soak up all of her saliva and then use it to paint with D:

And if you think that she would only do this with a clean paintbrush , nope you are wrong. As soon as the paintbrush went dry she would put it back again in her mouth and suck it again to wet it and go back to painting Bleeeergh! DX

I was just glad she never did that to my painting, I think I used to sit at the far back to avoid this haha.
    Btw, the classes were of course horrible, but back then I had no interest in working as an artist so I didn't really care. It was more like an arts and crafts jail time to be honest :/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ulbasaur View Post
    Let's not forget the wonderful tutorials from Deviantart.
    And all those quick cash in "how to draw" books:
    Name:  How-to-Draw-More-Manga-Coope-Katy-9780756948566.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  53.0 KB Name:  9780823003693_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  28.8 KB
    Name:  DrawDragons.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  72.4 KB
    Name:  9780823026227_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  25.6 KB Name:  9781844486403.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  81.1 KB
    Not that there aren't any good ones like that, but they're REALLLLLY hard to come by.
    Even with more decent general drawing books I had to go through at least five or six (translated to Finnish, I was looking for a gift book for a beginner artist) before I found the first that talked about using basic shapes as a help do draw, most of them were either anatomy guides or more that sort of "take an animal photo and copy it".

As for teachers, I wouldn't consider them as unqualified, but what I wanted from the courses differed from what the teachers did, as in, in here most actual artists are contemporary ones, and don't really concentrate on depicting things accurately in illustration sense so in here you are not likely to find a course that would go through actual constructing of the figure, but they helped me with other stuff (use of line, shading, composition etc).

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well yes.. you can find tons of stuff from youtube and from other channels over the internet, but they are free. And as they say: "free things are worth every penny".
    But it's really bad if you pay for a such tutorial. For example in DigitalTurors they have painting and design whitch are awful. actually they are that bad that you should google a little longer to find better free tutorial or buy one of those cheap how-to manga books.
    How they are not ashamed to charge for these things at Digita Tutors? 3d program basic and software UI intros are fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a shame but yes, especially books and videos. These days there is too much information that it takes time and effort to figure out whats really gonna help you achieve your goals.

Sometimes free is more expensive in the end.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlebit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait, if Christopher Hart is such a bad tutor (one of his book covers was shown in this topic), then why does he get so much praise? I've seen hate for him on other corners of the internet, but his books get positive reviews, and he's even praised on his dA page.

Not trying to argue that he's actually good, but I'm rather confused.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tespy View Post
    Wait, if Christopher Hart is such a bad tutor (one of his book covers was shown in this topic), then why does he get so much praise? I've seen hate for him on other corners of the internet, but his books get positive reviews, and he's even praised on his dA page.

Not trying to argue that he's actually good, but I'm rather confused.
    I think this circumstance can be explained easily by taking a look at the target audience. Like all the other how-to-draw-abominations in book form, Christopher Hart books focus on absolute beginners with no to very little experience in drawing.
    Therefore these consumers will praise the book because they just don't know any better and get quick results. It's the same with the crappy video tutorials, they get praise from unexperienced artists even though they hinder their learning progress in a long run.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    Therefore these consumers will praise the book because they just don't know any better
    Yup. It's the same with when you're twelve and seeing your first anime or such and thinking it looks soooooo goood but because you have no experience in watching anime you can't really create a critical thought about it because you have nothing to reference and compare it on.
    Then five years later after seeing a hundred anime series you look back to that one that looked so good back then and realize it was actually total crap. Like, there was a time when I thought the direct to video Land Before Time/Disney/Balto sequels weren't that bad... I didn't know any better, which is pretty much what their reason to exist depended on.
    It can also happen the other way around, you ignore something as a kid and only later realize how good it actually was.

Last edited by TinyBird; May 30th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should watch this video :'D
    Sent me rolling on the floor
    Mangwa'ahhh xDDDDDDD

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaioken20XGoku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a blog on Tumblr, forgot its name, where people can add themselves to a directory to offer to be mentors to other artists.

Out of curiosity I checked out some of the galleries of these people, and... nope. Every single one of them -- well, let's just say they should be the ones looking for mentors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I came across with one online course some time ago at Schoolism. I would not consider this as "unqualified tutor" but it was a disaster in my opinion. Amazingly talented artist, mister X, gave a lecture about digital painting. Awesome, stunning entertainment art, my personal hero etc, but the problem was - 80-90% of the time he was bragging about his position in the industry and who are his friends and how he saved the day over and over again. I guess it was meant as a pep talk or whatever, but it was a disaster in tuition mattes. In my opinion. I felt so sorry for my friend who lost/bought this course for hard-earned 600$ or smth. He felt the same.
    There is no such thing as refund of course. You can actually find pretty good/interesting/motivating stuff via youtube which are free.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbravita View Post
    There's a blog on Tumblr, forgot its name, where people can add themselves to a directory to offer to be mentors to other artists.

Out of curiosity I checked out some of the galleries of these people, and... nope. Every single one of them -- well, let's just say they should be the ones looking for mentors.
    It would be nice if you could retrieve said blog. I am very curious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Although some people will teach without knowing how to do stuff themselves, that does not necessarily mean they are bad teachers. The person who taught me design was not excellent at it, but she was a very good Tutor and had a great eye for bad design and composition. Similarly, my father could sing or play an instrument if his life depended on it, but he somehow manages to catch every single technical flaw in one's playing.

So mediocre artist =/= crappy teacher.

That said… those step-by-step tutorial are the demise of plenty of promising artists.

Also is it just me or has Deviantart got seriously worse over the past years? There has always been bad art on it, but I don't remember it festering on the front page so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-D View Post
    Although some people will teach without knowing how to do stuff themselves, that does not necessarily mean they are bad teachers. The person who taught me design was not excellent at it, but she was a very good Tutor and had a great eye for bad design and composition. Similarly, my father could sing or play an instrument if his life depended on it, but he somehow manages to catch every single technical flaw in one's playing.
    While I agree that good artists are not necessarily good teachers, I do not agree that people who are good at spotting flaws are good teachers. A good teacher can help you how to avoid these flaws. Personally, I can easily see it when a house is constructed so poorly that it falls apart, but I am totally clueless about architecture/construction, and I think you should shoot me if I ever start teaching architecture.

I have enjoyed/suffered from a good range of teachers throughout the decades, but the most annoying guy was a character design teacher who continuously stopped me dead in my tracks with remarks like 'That is not going to work', 'don't do that', 'try something else', without ever referring to the basic principles that make or break a design. And, yes, I believe he was a great artist.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    While I agree that good artists are not necessarily good teachers, I do not agree that people who are good at spotting flaws are good teachers. A good teacher can help you how to avoid these flaws. Personally, I can easily see it when a house is constructed so poorly that it falls apart, but I am totally clueless about architecture/construction, and I think you should shoot me if I ever start teaching architecture.

I have enjoyed/suffered from a good range of teachers throughout the decades, but the most annoying guy was a character design teacher who continuously stopped me dead in my tracks with remarks like 'That is not going to work', 'don't do that', 'try something else', without ever referring to the basic principles that make or break a design. And, yes, I believe he was a great artist.
    Oh no, I agree with that, which is why I said "mediocre" and not bad. What i meant is that you can have someone who is very learnt on techniques but might just lack the ability to apply them as well as some other, excellent artists (it may happen, it also happens in sports and other fields). And therefore make a good tutor. More so, because far more than people who have a "talent" for it, they will have had to work to get where they are and the can give better suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-D View Post
    Also is it just me or has Deviantart got seriously worse over the past years? There has always been bad art on it, but I don't remember it festering on the front page so much.
    Well, unfortunately that is the logical evolution of basically all sites as they gain more members. It has, what, maybe 20 million users now and the majority of those are not good artists, and it's not helped that many good artists have moved on to Tumblr and such.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, unfortunately that is the logical evolution of basically all sites as they gain more members. It has, what, maybe 20 million users now and the majority of those are not good artists, and it's not helped that many good artists have moved on to Tumblr and such.
    It may have become much worse, but the general quality of the artwork on the site is inversely proportional to it's hilarity! Just the sonic fanart section is comedy gold.

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook