Sketchbook: Work for original concept, need feedback on my work I know nothing :P

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Work for original concept, need feedback on my work I know nothing :P

Hi Concept art community

I am looking for feedback on my work for Concept Art, based original designs, these were created using mechanical pencil, fine liners and variety of B and H grade pencils for shading. Need help with how to go about painting using Photoshop from a scanned image. The front covers were done in Photoshop and Illustator cs6 using scanned images which I have drawn.

Regard

Gavin

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by gavinrock; May 25th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
    Iím bad and thatís good, i will never be good and thatís not bad, there is no one Iíd rather be than me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really love cats! I do too.

Big thing I can recommend is try and draw your characters in a 3 quarter view. There's only so much you can show in a front view of a character, and with a 3 quarter view, you can show more details about the character. Along with that, explore putting your characters into different poses. The characters feel a little stiff, so studying up on gesture and anatomy will help greatly.

As for how to go about taking a scanned image into Photoshop, you first need to have a very clean scan. After that, you open it in Photoshop, and set your line art layer to multiply. then under that you have separate layers for color flats, shading, ect. Also note that if your scan is not clean, all the grim and artifacts in the scan will effect your color values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi BlackPurpleRose
    Thank you for the input, would suggest tracing over the character with a light box to obtain a clean outline, so that it doesn’t have any smudges etc.

Iím bad and thatís good, i will never be good and thatís not bad, there is no one Iíd rather be than me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see people working on their own stories, always good to see. However, you have a long way to go in terms of character design and construction.
    I'd recommend you read up on Andrew Loomis and his books. Along with bridgeman, especially if you're considering going down the comic artist route.

Like the previous guy said, you'd benifit from gesture drawings. http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ there are websites that make it so easy to do. I personally like going on them as warm ups.

Another thing is I did a quick red-line drawing of a character of yours. Hope you don't mind. Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  652.5 KB

Using redlines on your own work (or flipping it) is a great way to see errors in your work. In this case, because you're planting facial features onto a face shape, its very easy to make your faces lopsided, or give a feeling that features are slipping out of place.
    Another reason to use redlines, particularly in regards to where features sit, is so you can make sure your character is consistent at ALL ANGLES.
    Name:  rrrr.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  267.3 KB
    Once you get more into understanding construction and figure drawing, you'll find all this less daunting. But until then. STUDY.

GOOD LUCK

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Naidy

thank you for taking the time to give me some input on my work. I have one of Andrew Loomis books I have taken it to piece so it is easier to transport specific pages but I will likely get another. i don’t mind you taking the time to draw images base upon my concept art. . From the guy from FZDSCHOOL YouTube channel said your portfolio is meant to contain only your own design not fan art so I have personally stayed away from doing that, taking inspiration is fine but nothing else.

regard
    Gavin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sry about that put the wrong user name :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Naidy
    I also need to start practing digital media as well, as the traditional hand drawn approach like you are showing in thoes images you have drawn i think.

regard
    Gavin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no, at your stage you definitely want to stay working traditional!
    It would be like going to a pneumatic drill when you haven't got used to using a hammer. Too many things to distract you from the basic learning. IT WOULD SLOW DOWN YOUR PROGRESS.

If you've got a Loomis book that's good. Your work so far hasn't suggested you're studying from it though.
    You should post some of your studies.
    Maybe start a weekly routine for art studies.
    When you do studies you can try drawing your characters based on what area you're learning. It helps retain information.

Anyway, I won't comment again until there's more to see. (So post some studies, they're very important here!!!)

Cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m doing this work for a module based upon comic books. I kind of skipped over the Loomis book and move to anime book which i had, didn’t listen to the advice given by in his review of the product that you should focus on the fundamentals first before moving to stylised drawing. I am studying games design. Last year’s concept art unit I had no real experience with drawing. my previous drawing could be mistaken from be drawn by a child if you know what I’m saying. I will start my concept art practicing over the summer holidays got a lot of work on right know

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What exactly are you studying, is it a BTEC? In any case you know you shouldn't skip Loomis in favour of an anime book. That's very silly. It won't help you at all.
    Not even slightly.

I wouldn't put off doing studies until you finished your project. And to be honest at your level I wouldn't be thinking of portfolios yet. You need to either enroll in a summer long drawing course, or put in some real hours into studying. I was doing that at the same time as I was doing my education before University, and it isn't hard as you would think.

Either way good luck on your work.
    To help you out I'd say your most important areas to work on are
    BODIES,
    FACES,
    COMPOSITION,

Cheers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 11