dehow64- Composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: dehow64- Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dehow64- Composition 1.1

So here is my first digital painting from the old masters from the first assignment. I did my study for an hour. Though the piece was simple, it was a bit tougher for me to capture than I thought X_X. But I'm glad to start and tom improve eventually!

I noticed that the artist used a great sense of emphasis by creating a large contrast in value between the central figure and the man holding her.

I also noticed the rhythm in the direction of the top of the leg as it smoothly transitions into the mans thumb/ hand, then back down to the rest of the figure.

Let me know what you guys think! Feel free to tear my work to pieces!!!

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  43.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This assignment is difficult no doubt, especially for someone new like myself. The only advice I could give is try getting the form in and not pay attention to the detail of the piece.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    that's good advice. it will get easier over time as you finish these. I promise. Then again if you choose the entire sistine chapel, maybe not haha. Welcome.

In order to model your forms, once you get your shapes mapped out how you are doing, make another layer and set it to multiply. Turn down the opacity to perhaps 50 percent. now select a soft edged airbrush that is the size of any shape you want to put down. set the opacity to a very low number. 10 percent or so. start washing in some darks and slowly modeling your forms and value transitions. up the opacity if you need it to be a heavier more obvious mark.

Keep working on your values. if you need to put in 2 or even 3 hours in, that is ok. speed will come.

Check out the thread by ashess. She started at a pretty beginner point and she has really made good progress, considering she was very much a beginner, and not as confident with shapes as you are here. she is quite confident now in

Keep up the good work.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  148-PB119_JPG.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  60.9 KBName:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  75.7 KB

Second piece. Didn't really follow the 30min/ 1 hour time constraint as I just wasn't happy with anything I accomplished at that point...twass pretty bad. It was harder not to focus on the smaller details since there was a lot going on but I learned a lot from the piece

One of the biggest things I learned was the overall rhythm with the two character starting from the male figures right arm all the way down to through the woman's dress. There was also emphasis on girl with the dress. In my composition I really wanted to focus on those two points and pumped up the contrast on the dress. I think I did a decent job at capturing those two aspects but I know I need to get a better workflow, especially with blocking the composition, blending and staying within the time constraint.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start on these. You are headed in the right direction. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 5