Sketchbook: Agerkvist's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Agerkvist's Sketchbook

I just spent twenty minutes trying to figure out what to write here and I just gave up.

There's not much to say. I'll be uploading stuff whenever time allows it - things can be busy with a fulltime job, girlfriend and two kids - but I really hope this sketchbook will grow fast and that a few of you will take the time to comment and critique on my stuff. I'm here to improve.

I've been doing composition 1.1 studies for the level up worskshop these past few months, but I needed a little break from that so I ended up doing this curly bearded guy. It's actually my first digital piece of art that isn't lineart or lineart with colors. I inked my sketch of the head, added color and then decided to try and ditch the line art. Man, that was the best decision ever. I still have miles to go and mountains to climb, but I learn a little everything I work on it. I'm still working on it and hopefully I'll actually finish it! My threealmostfour years old son named him...Galf...Ghalf...I'm unsure how you spell it...

Oh and last night I couldn't fall asleep and an idea popped into my head so I got up and did the black and white sketch. I'm still tweaking it, but I hope to color it sometime soon. It's supposed to be a dwarf aswell, but hmmm....yeah...cutesy viking instead? It's a dwarf looking at a faerie, but I'm not sure if that's clear as long as I haven't really drawn the faerie yet.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And just a quickie before I head to bed.

Dwarf...samurai...warrior...guy?

Yes, yes, I'll be doing skull studies, bridgman studies and eggs and all that too...I know, I know! Right now dwarves just poor out when I draw. Good night!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet start! Was wondering when you were gonna start a sketchbook Great rendering on the first, good name choice too, definately a Ghalf. I Love the one with the faerie on his nose, he is bursting with character. Look forward to more!

Last edited by Bri in the sky; May 25th, 2014 at 06:51 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You started a sketchbook! Awesome! So far I can see you're really great at conveying appealing characters and emotion. Great job challenging yourself with going beyond line work.

How did your son come up with such an awesome fantasy name? That's so cool. Are you guys fantasy geeks over there?

Let's see more!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri in the sky View Post
    Sweet start! Was wondering when you were gonna start a sketchbook Great rendering on the first, good name choice too, definately a Ghalf. I Love the one with the faerie on his nose, he is bursting with character. Look forward to more!
    Ghalf it is! I hope I'll finish it and I really want to but I also know that what I really should be doing is practicing the basics. I just needed a break - and yeah I actually feel pretty good about the rendering on him, especially considering I haven't really done much of this stuff before.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpysaur View Post
    You started a sketchbook! Awesome! So far I can see you're really great at conveying appealing characters and emotion. Great job challenging yourself with going beyond line work.

How did your son come up with such an awesome fantasy name? That's so cool. Are you guys fantasy geeks over there?

Let's see more!
    Yeah loosing the linework was a great decision! And I'm glad you like the name...haha, he just climbed onto my lap when I was painting one day and I asked him what he thought his name was and so Ghalf was born My son turns 4 next month, so he doesn't really have much of a fantasy experience to reference, but he did come up with his own Star Wars name; Chuuwobbakin! I'm not quite sure how to spell that either

Anyway, Grumpy and Bri I can't thank you two enough for stopping by - I appreciate it much more than you know, I hope I can keep you coming back even tho I'll start posting horrendus gesture drawings and skull studies soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah started this one yesterday and was hoping to have continued it today but alas - here it is anyway:
    Just a real quick sketch and now I want to render it ><

This was done super quick and the armor was literally slapped on in like two minutes, so please forgive the ugliness.

My stuff is pretty cartoony because I started out drawing superheroes and what not and never sat down and learned the basics - that what I hope to remedy in the coming years. Anatomy, shape, form, light, shadow. I'm just the kind of guy who needs direction and there are so many places to start, but now I just try to do ANYTHING instead of wondering what to do. Practice, if only a little everyday. Then practice some more.

ORCS! WAAAAGHHHH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you finally made a sketchbook !

The first two are pretty fun and I like the rendering of the first one.
    Keep them coming, don't wait the end of the Stage 1 to start sketching and stuff.
    I personally take a few hours everyday to make some thumbnails, it helps keep my motivation with the exercises of the Level up program.
    And well, it allows me to apply what I learn in my studies!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fincks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincks View Post
    Hey, you finally made a sketchbook !

The first two are pretty fun and I like the rendering of the first one.
    Keep them coming, don't wait the end of the Stage 1 to start sketching and stuff.
    I personally take a few hours everyday to make some thumbnails, it helps keep my motivation with the exercises of the Level up program.
    And well, it allows me to apply what I learn in my studies!
    Hey Fincks, yeah I finally got around to it. So great you stopped by, I'll definately be wanting your eyes when I face my demons and try to do environments /shiver :p

I am already sketching besides doing Level Up, I just haven't uploaded everything yet. I try to do gesture drawings and I'm trying to find time for some Bridgman studies, life skull studies and some really basic stuff too. I'm hoping that doing life skull studies will really help my understanding of shapes and light and shadow.

If I could spend a few hours every day on thumbnails I woul, but right now I can't even be sure I have even 30 minutes every day- that is the biggest challenge right now But I'm in this for the long haul so I just squeeze in as much as I can.

Yesterday I thought about setting a long term goal for myself: Being able to live of my art in ten years. Reaching that goal would pretty nuch make me the happiest guy on earth. I just need to make sure on how it's reachable with a fulltime job, girlfriend and two kids. But it must be possible.

Ahh but enough banter, real life calls!

Thanks for stopping by Fincks.

Last edited by Agerkvist; May 30th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started a new comp 1.1 study today, but also sketched a bit. Tried doing some gestures from imagination on my tablet which is so hard for me. I need a pencil here at the beginning...and reference. Anyway that's how I ended up with that cartoony barbarian...it's totally not the way I'm trying to move, but that's ok sometimes

Also tried visualizing a helmet design I had i my mind and failed miserable. The last one actually started while I was browsing a gallery and saw a silhouette in a thumbnail that made me click it - when I did it showed something entirely different than what I thought I had seen on the thumb, so I tried drawing what I thought I had seen - I want to spend a little more time on it later. I also have some gestures in my notebook, but need to take pictures or scan them. They're from imagination anyway, so they suck.

Comments, critiques and any advice is so appreciated you wouldn't believe it!

Night

Last edited by Agerkvist; May 30th, 2014 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the barbarian, think he has lot's of potential! Totally feeling his barbarian swagger and that is a sword Conan would be proud of

As for gestures, don't be scared of making crappy ones mate. I bought loads of really cheap paper and did nothing but gestures which helped remove the fear I had of making mistakes. I came to accept that most them were shit but it was ok as it was only on cheap paper. It's all practice regardless.

I personally think doing them from reference is the best option until you feel comfortable, then do them from imagination. I could be wrong of course but feel this is the best way to avoid frustration and build up the mental library.

Mentioned it before but Michael Hamptons 'Figure Drawing-Design and Invention' is a good book for inventing figures.

saw a silhouette in a thumbnail that made me click it - when I did it showed something entirely different than what I thought I had seen on the thumb

Funny when that happens. Oh that looks really cool! 'click' Uh that's not what I thought it was....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Barbarian swagger haha. Yeah I like him too, but it's so cartoony. I hope I can gravitate towards more realistic stuff. But it's still practice, shapes, light shadow. It's all good.

And I'm not scared of making crappy drawings. I was. I used to stare and the paper afraid to start drawing, because it might suck. I'm almost past that - as you will see when I upload from my sketchbook

You mentioned that book before yeah and I got it online today - can be read for free via Scribd even if you haven't got an account.

Here's what I could squeeze in today. A few gestures after reading the first pages in Hamptons book and a few failed attempt of drawing an orc. The last one I really liked so I started coloring a bit. The ears aren't that orcish. Must be the exotic kind -_- I'm still wondering what my "style" is. It's all over the place, but I try not to care too much about that.

I feel pretty good about the gesture and I didn't do them on a timer, but tried doing them in a few minutes. Now to do thousands more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Imo, for now, just do what you want to do, you will figure out your style later.
    I think that even for an orc, the neck is too big xD.

Try to do some gestures every day beside the level up program, even if it's only 1/2h.
    I'm actually waiting for the stage 2 to work on my anatomy /laugh

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fincks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Fincks Too big!? There's no such thing for an orc surely

Gestures from today, done from reference, no time limit. I try to keep them loose, but I end up fiddling too much with unimportant stuff. Also these are done digitally, I think I benefit more when doing them traditionally. Yesterdays gesture were better overall.

It's not much, but it's something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got up before the rest of the family today. Tried capturing a pose I had in my head, but couldn't quite catch it. The kneeling man turned out closer to what I imagined.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 784 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey ager! good to see you working hard too. really liked that barbarian with the big sword strapped to his back. good strong silhouette. on gestures, I think they are a good idea. but I dont think doing then without a model or example will do much good. have your tried the pixelovely 30sec pose thing?

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ashess, I do try to squeeze in as much practice as possible! Hehe yeah the barb does have character Argh now I want to finish him.

I do gestures both from reference and imagination. Doing them from reference is good definitely and I use pose maniacs.com - I actually like pixelovely better since it has real models I think? I just forgot about it - but I also like doing some from my imagination, to practice getting down on paper what I have in my head. I do a bit of both to mix things up a bit I guess :-)

That being said I think it's really hard! 30 secs are gone so fast, I sometimes do 90 secs instead. I need to go to hang if it, I'm still new at this :-)

Thanks for stopping by, I hope I can keep you coming back.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 784 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sure, I mean to come back
    pixelovely is better I think. the 3d rig they use @ posemaniacs has some rather disturbing issues. the toes and hands only have a few position and perpetually look like they're broken. there's no skin nor fat on the model, and no matter what pose the model is in, there is no deformation of the flesh whatsoever. this leads to some pretty surrealist sitting poses. well, it's okay for getting the proportions down I think. ps- I try to keep track of what is from ref and what is not. just put a little p if it was from photo, and an l if it was from moving life. that kind of thing. it turns out handy sometimes

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, I just checked pixelovely and I'll definitely be using that from now on.

Good idea about keeping track of what's from ref and what's not, thanks :-)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gestures are looking good, they read well and that is what you want. The calf muscle in one or two is a little too straight just look for those curves in the form, they really help with visual flow but things like that will happen naturally the more you practice so don't sweat it

Once you start getting comfortable then start thinking about describing the volumes in the form of the gesture, think about lines wrapping around limbs, just simplify them into cylinders and cone type shapes and this will better describe them in 3d space. Like I said though it will all come with practice so don't stress if you get frustrated.

As for the Orcs mmm I dunno much about them but they look cool and Orcish to me!
    Keep practicing, stay motivated and ultimately have fun, oh and ye I'll be in and out yer sketchbook all the time

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start! Your situation is a lot like mine. I also have a full-time job with a wife and two kids (3 and 4 years old). Finding time for painting and drawing is tough.

I worked out a deal with my wife to have 2 hours of painting time every other night and 3 hours on sunday morning. Also been sneaking in additional painting time when possible, even if only 15 min etc. I prettymuch do the level up studies and nothing much else with that time, but maybe I should try starting a sketchbook too anyway...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TomasBj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot Bri, that's really solid advice! I gotta get them more dynamic, loose and descriptive. At the moment they feel more likes poses than gestures if you get what I mean. Ah but I know, practice, practice, practice!

@Thomasbj yeah it's an uphill battle for sure I did level up master studies exclusively for a while too, but felt the need to mix it up abit. The studies take alot of time for me, so doing 20 is really alot...man I still have 9 to go -_- Let's keep each other motivated, one family guy to the next

And now, more gestures...perhaps an orc too...or a dwarf!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a 30 minute session over at pixelovely today. Took pictures of the sketchbook with my phone, so not sure if it's too rubbish to make out - if they are let me know and I'll do it differently next time.

A bunch of 30 sec poses, some 1 minute ones, two 5 minutes ones and one 11 minute one - I marked them with pencil, since they'll probably be shown in the wrong order.

Getting more of a feel for it. Those first few lines are really crucial, and powerful. When on a 30 sec timer I get a bit stressed, so I might benefit more from slowing down a bit. Or maybe I just need to do a few hundred to get into proper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start,gestures are great try some long poses too 1h or so and read and draw about anatomy also.
    in your paintings try not to use such a high contrast try to stay of dodge and burn and special layers etc until you understand painting more its also better to start in greyscale

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ElisaClaes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    @Thomasbj yeah it's an uphill battle for sure I did level up master studies exclusively for a while too, but felt the need to mix it up abit. The studies take alot of time for me, so doing 20 is really alot...man I still have 9 to go -_- Let's keep each other motivated, one family guy to the next
    Yeah, the 20 master studies are though! In the end I did manage to arrange a couple of days additional painting time where I was able to greally put some work into them and chruch two or three in a weekend. I had bit of a lack of motiviation in Stage 2 composition study, since I chose a really complex painting. However I started doing the skull studies on the side with a pencil and paper so that gives a little variety too. Just hang in there!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to TomasBj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work they have a beautiful flow about them already! Think we all get stressed with the countdown doing gestures hehe. For me maybe it's too many sci fi movies and thinking something will self destruct at 0.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ElisaClaes View Post
    good start,gestures are great try some long poses too 1h or so and read and draw about anatomy also.
    in your paintings try not to use such a high contrast try to stay of dodge and burn and special layers etc until you understand painting more its also better to start in greyscale
    Ah yes dodge, I know I know, but I try to use it sparringly >< And thanks for the advice on anatomy and poses, I really appreciate you taking the time

Quote Originally Posted by TomasBj View Post
    Yeah, the 20 master studies are though! In the end I did manage to arrange a couple of days additional painting time where I was able to greally put some work into them and chruch two or three in a weekend. I had bit of a lack of motiviation in Stage 2 composition study, since I chose a really complex painting. However I started doing the skull studies on the side with a pencil and paper so that gives a little variety too. Just hang in there!
    Yeah those 20 studies, man...the bar is set so high so when I've spent one or two hours on one it still so far from what others are uploading and I end up spending more time one it, instead of keeping them short and focus on understanding values and composition solely - which also teaches me stuff obviously, there's just not much sense of progression. I'll definately hang in there and I'll try to crack out the remaining ones soon. The next assignment is a 1:1 copy/study of a painting in black and white? And yeah Í've got a skull here aswell waiting to be studied...

Quote Originally Posted by Bri in the sky View Post
    Excellent work they have a beautiful flow about them already! Think we all get stressed with the countdown doing gestures hehe. For me maybe it's too many sci fi movies and thinking something will self destruct at 0.
    Ah thanks man, that means alot coming from you. I don't think they're all that great myself but who does when you start comparing to other people's stuff? But I can't really figure out if doing longer poses is better in the beginning, since those 30 secs seems to be gone really fast. I guess a fix of durations is best. But I'll keep at it, there's only one way And Bri, seriously, that sketchbook of yours...jeez...good stuff man

And now I'll try do a few whatevers before I crash. Good night everyone

Last edited by Agerkvist; June 6th, 2014 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did lots of gestures tonight, but it looks like crap when I take pictures with my phone since its so dark here - I'll scan them tomorrow.

Instead here's a orc who stopped by tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, I'm in a similar situation with a job, a small child and one more on the way. I like the idea of making a deal for painting time! I'm not as organised and tend to wait till everyone's asleep before burning the midnight oil. Probably not a long term solution!

I hear you on the master studies time scales. I started off rattling out the quick ones but gradually started spending more time. My last one took about two weeks, grabbing an hour here and there but I think I learned a lot more from it.

Anyway, your sketchbook is looking great and your studies are amazing too. Lovely poses and gestures happening here. Really looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Instead here's a orc who stopped by tonight
    Hope he took his blood soaked sandals off. He looks like a charming fellow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook!! I honestly like your style, it's kinda cartoony and really cute (especially that dwarf!)

Light direction/shadow placement is going into the right direction, though you should be a bit more thorough with it. If you pick such an 'extreme' light source as directly above the char, you have to go through with it 100% -with the last piece that would for example mean adding shadow between his eyebrows because his head is tipped forward slightly.

What's really noticable though is that the color schemes are pretty uniform. Especially when painting by hand (as opposed to relying on multiply layers) it's not enough to pick a color for shadows/highlights that's simply moved a few values down/up from the midtone. Hue and saturation need to be varied as well, especially when painting skin (because skin...is plain weird :'D ) That would help a lot to make the characters appear more lifelike I think.

Keep it up! I look forwad to seeing more c:

Visit my Sketchbook!
    Comments appreciated and will be returned! c:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 178