Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Thanks
    Good work Misty. It's good to see you bringing a piece all the way to a finished state. Now, just add a dragon in there and it will be perfect!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ashess: Thanks very much.

Sushy: Woo! Took your advice on the edges and background. Seems better now.

pindurski: Thanks! Haha. Maybe next time. Or at least a unicorn.

DONE.

Just my lovely little study. Uhm... There's a lot wrong with it. You remember how you flip something upsidedown to see it in a different way? Yeah.. I took this last stage to do that, after accidentally hitting the rotate button.. Bah. I wish I had accidentally hit it in the first stage, so I could remember to do that and keep correcting as I go. ^^ Ah well. I'm happy that I remembered for my next study.
    Last edited by Misty Feather; December 12th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Name:  maniacstudy.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  35.6 KB

The next study, as requested-- The dude from 'Child of God'... Glad that's not a movie I'm gonna see, though, gotta say.. It looks kinda brutal in a bad way, lol.

Anywho-- I'm not done with this quite yet. On the ref pic, I brought up the lighting and saturation so he didn't look so muddy. I'm glad I did, because this is an interesting exercise in dirty skin tone. It reminds me a bit of the tomb raider thing I tried to do.. Only I'm actually pulling it off this time, so I'm psyched. I'm improving rapidly, despite my age.. Well, I think so, anyway. Maybe I'm getting too cocky.. hmm.. hehe

Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    haha cool! Though I mentioned the character that doesn't mean I recommend watching the movie!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I can only advice you to continue on your work. I like the picture wowtry4.jpg this is a good study !! Keep it up !!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to féfé73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    your faces have suddenly got very realistic. Any tips for me? I really struggle with getting eyes to look right on a face. If I stop and draw eyes and nothing else I can make them look detailed, however when I draw a full face they just don't sit right. anyway really good progress well done!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Misty,

The Ellen Page study is awesome, it shows a great improvement.

In the latest study it would be nice to see you use a hard edge brush to bring out some of the details like the eyes, nose and ear for example.

Keep it going

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gibier: Hehe, thanks. Yeah, I know! I saw the movie 'Monster', and as great as the acting is, I wouldn't recommend it either.

féfé73: Thanks so much, I will.

Stephen H:
    Thanks! And hey, cool, I'm giving advice now. I like it. Hehehe. Progress high-five! I think it actually helps me most to draw the nose and the eyebrows before the eyes, because then I have a better idea about where the eyes will go. Also, looking closely at the eyes, their size, how close they are to the eyebrows and nose... There are also little observational details to look out for. It doesn't always apply, but the inner corner of the eyes can line up with the edge of the nostril. These are things I don't necessarily think about, even if I should, but I tend to look pretty close and try to remember these little things if something looks off. Getting the right values down is also important. A small tip: When the head is in straight-on portrait view, the distance between the eyes will normally be two eyes. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Mothman: Thanks very much! I was experimenting with a soft brush. I think this was just a quick study, and I'm gonna move onto something.. Bigger. Probably finishing my white rider up as well, would be a good idea. But, I'll pay attention to harder edges in the future.

Thanks
    wow awesome progress misty these photo studies are fantastic keep up the hard work. You seem to learn a lot from each study you do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pearsonsweeney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man thanks for coming by my book. I accidently made 2 dang it the other one has better image size. Anyway this stuff is looking awesome and I'll be following you for sure. I hope that I can figure out how to paint as well as you one day. Have a good one.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RW93 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fab Ellen Page! Great work on the study mate! : > Can't wait for the finished version miiiistyyyyy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Uiriamu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good work with that portrait misty! It really came together. Watch the forehead/temple area though, the hair tends to blend with the scalp here, if you dont define this sometimes the hair can look like a wig

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    pearson: Thanks a bunch for the compliments! I do try.

RW93: Hehe. Thanks so much. I think you're doing great, so keep it up!

Uiriamu: Oh, man.. This is awkward... It IS finished.. Lol. Thanks so much though.

Kimonas: Thanks! Yeah, there were some spots that bugged me, but I'm sick of looking at it at this point, lol. I'll keep the hairline in mind for future studies though, for sure. you rock, man.

So, guys... Does this look familiar? 'Cause it should.

Camilla aka Vielmond gave me permission to study one of her works. It was fun as Hell. I recommend it to anyone, haha. Thanks Camilla.

Tome of Horrors (Crits Appreciated)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Oooh I was watching page 19 where you wrote "Haha, not even done yet.. Bah. Tome of Horrors (Crits Appreciated) Ah well. I'll bring it home tomorrow, I guess." SILLY ME! haha...

Looks great misty! Keep up the spree you're having! The motivation aura is spreading like wildfiyahhh!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Uiriamu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Uiriamu: Thanks dude, I'll do my bestest . Keep it going with your own stuff, it's always a blast to visit.

I thought this was a pretty cool pic, so I thought I'd do a study. Super fun.

Wifey spent all day organizing a space for an easel and art stuff for me yesterday. She really wants me to work with actual paints again, haha. She's the best.
    Last edited by Misty Feather; November 10th, 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks
    those fotostudy's look great Misty! The fact that i recognize the faces proves that you're on the right way. Keep on grinding!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Staal Sander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work. Happy wife, happy life. Just go with it

32. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice, I took a quite break from these forums and I'm glad to see you still going at it and improving a lot too

34. The Following User Says Thank You to CChhim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Studies are looking sweet m8 .
    Where did you find the pic for the latest one? I like his beard !
    Keep the value changes in mind, I think that you could push them a bit darker in some places and go in with a bit more edge variety.

Would be sweet to see some more personal stuff too . I tell you what m8, if you do some personal work. I'll do a study .
    Because I am the exact opposite lol! I get into these periods when I just don't do studies at all xD. It's really bad lol, all I do now is draw random stuff . Need to get my act back together hehe.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrkolsyrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's great to see (or read I guess?) your positive attitude Misty! That last study looks great. I really like how you captured the cloth. Paint on!

- - - Updated - - -

It's great to see (or read I guess?) your positive attitude Misty! That last study looks great. I really like how you captured the cloth. Paint on!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to dragning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    last study is looking pretty sweet I liked that elf type character you started too. Looking forward to more.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to pearsonsweeney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Staal Sander: Thanks! I agree. Just got to keep pushing through the barriers. Even the scary ones.
    pindurski: Indeed. And thank you!
    CChhim: Woo! Glad to see you're back. I took a little break as well.
    Mrkolsyrad: Thanks! I got it from quickposes.com ALL RIGHT. I did some personal work. Or at least baby steps towards it, which you'll soon see. So now it's your turn!
    dragning: Thanks dragon! I loved the cloth-- And I'm so glad that it seems that practice applies to everything, or my cloth would suck.
    pearsonsweeney: Wheeee, thanks. And.. Elf character ? Hrm.. OH. That was a study of Vielmond's preliminary work. Was fun.

Bam. So, as you can see.. I lost interest in the legs. Going to try something else, maybe do a sketch and exaggerate facial features and stuff. With this pic, I basically did a study, and then added a green dress to the nude form, and changed her hair from blonde to purple. Because purple rocks.

I'm taking baby steps with this... Imagination application.. Thing.

Okay, time to find some other subject matter.

Thanks
    Okay.. I made my first attempt at doing silhouette thingies...

That's like.. Pure imagination shit right there. Win.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You really did miss Page justice meesty, she would be well happy with that. Great to see you doing silhouettes! Get a super hard brush and carve them out. I start at like 96 percent value and then just sample the background and keep switching between them with the same hard brush. When reasonably happy with the silhouettes just magic wand it-copy-paste and seperate it from the background. Then I create a clipping mask of the silhouette and give it some large volumes with the airbrush. That gives you a good start to play around with. Hope that helps buddy.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mistyyyy, so good to see you back on track. I haven't been much good at checking sketchbooks lately, sorry! Keep it up, reach out and make the dream yours.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great studies! I would recommend using a brush with harder edges. Right now some of your paintings feel like it too soft so that hurts the structure. Keep it up!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm liking these works, and it's always so exciting to see someone's sketchbook full of studies and sketches! Great work! You're improving fast! I am enjoying the color studies, in particular.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to celadon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah I see that it did say what it was right above it my bad ha. Imagination shit is awesome!!! Keep it up.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to pearsonsweeney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    oh yeah imagination silouettes rock! I think you should only use pure black though. then with flipping try and get it to 'read' right!
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

55. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast