Seems my thread got lost in the server migration, so just reposting.
I started with this Manet piece, because I really liked the economy-- the only detail is in the face, framed by the black of her hat and clothes, so it really draws your eye. The balance is interesting, since about half the image is dark and half light, but they are not split up either top/bottom or left/right, but with sort of intersecting triangles of interest. There's also repetition in the curves in the hair and the ribbons on the bottom left and the curve on the upper right side of the hat contrasting with the more blocky top-left and bottom-right stiff, wide ribbons, but they all curve around and block in the eye to keep the focus on the face.
On my own piece, I'm looking at it on a different computer than I worked, and realizing that a lot of my light areas are too light, and I think this might have been a screen calibration thing, so I need to check that for next time. Outside of that, I tried to keep myself confined to the hour time-limit, which was really good for me to do. I often end up nit-picking over details, and I tried to just block things out this time and fill in as needed this time instead. But I skipped a lot of the construction I would usually do and ended up having to adjust a couple things later because they were too short or narrow or wide, so I think I need to work on balancing that and spending more time on proportions/shapes first before trying to lay values down.
Jason, is it not showing up now? I made this thread after the server move was complete, and I'm still seeing it attached to the first post, but I can try again if you can't see it.
Second study, this time on Charles Goldie. I chose Goldie mostly because I've always liked this painting. The contrast of the simple background with the detailed face in combination with the lighting really puts the focus on the face. Her eyes and lines of the pipe and earring and scarf all point back toward her face as well.
The top is my second attempt, the middle the original painting, and the bottom two were from the first attempt that I scrapped. I spent about two hours on both attempts, so four total so far on this. I feel much better about the second one, despite the current problems. I think it might be worth it to come back to this later to work on this more to really get things right-- I don't have enough contrast in the face and there's some angles and proportions that are wrong and things unfinished.
Last edited by rewire; June 13th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Update on the second study, I did end up doing a little more work on it:
And here's study three, Scott Burdick:
Original on top, a few in-progress shots and the final. I really liked the variation in texture and light and the balance of the left, dark half with the bright right half. The composition is central and simple but still dynamic-- the figure cuts the canvas in half vertically, but her hair and the slight tilt of the head and subtle patterning of the background keep the portrait interesting.
I'm still having trouble getting the correct forms laid out, though I've been trying to block out shapes first. Now I'm noticing my figure has the shoulder higher on the right than it ought to have been. And it took several tries to get the hair actually as wide as it is meant to be. I also found I kept going too light with the dark areas, which is kind of an ongoing issue for me.
Nice start on these. You are headed in the right direction.
When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.