CHOW #353 :: Fallen Angel of the Broken Gate

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character of the Week #353
    Fallen Angel of the Broken Death Gate

Deadline - Sunday, June 1st 10PM GMT

It pains the higher gods to be forced to send, a once loyal guardian, to the abyss. There is no forgiveness for the divine which breaks the laws and the only mercy they receive is an eternity of servitude in the underworld. Forever trapped, as warrior servants of the vile death god. There is a broken gate which the death god sends the fallen to stand guard, so that none of the higher gods may enter and try to kill him. The angels are unable to escape and have no choice but to serve.

The fallen angel's wings bare the scars of ill treatment and slowly become discolored. Their once beautiful complexion is now cover in wounds from being beaten by the minions of death. And they are forced to use weapons where the hilts/handles stab into their hands when held.

This week you are to design one of these angels which is forsaken to defend the gate.

The Guidelines:
    • Can be male or female
    • Must be humanoid.
    • Must have wings.
    • Must be carrying a weapon which bloodies their hands.
    • Genre is fantasy.
    • Background is acceptable this week.

The Rules
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW # and the artists username at the bottom of the image within, at least, a footer bar(TYPED, NOT WRITTEN)
    • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible. No back views are allowed without a front please.
    • Only ONE character please.
    • Sketches or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll
    • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work
    • At least two wips posted with your final in the finals thread
    • NO ENVIRONMENT BACKGROUNDS! You may use simple shapes,gradients or silhouettes
    • Please read through the thread for any posts made by the mod. They likely answered a question that was asked about the challenge!
    • Have fun!

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 649 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This one seems interesting may have to jump in on this...

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hers my first WIP

She was once a glorious angel but she fell from the skies and into the darkness. Her once golden armor har rusted and grown thorns and with a jagged chain she is connected to the grim weapon that she is forced to wield in her eternal pain.

*edit* also her golden hair was cut.

Something like that, what do you guys think?
    Name:  fallen angel of the broken death gate_wip_1.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  121.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wip... I need to fix some stuff, the wing for example.

Name:  ChOW-353-w6.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  284.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Here are some ideation of the angel. An angel that was dedicated to flowers and all but made a mistake and was cast down to the gate. That is the basic idea thus far and took the Polish Hussar armor as reference and I'm still figuring out what weapons to give her.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tsujni - Nice idea, I like the gesture. Maybe look at vulture wings for reference to see how they move when on the ground.

Here is my start. I might google dungeons and torture for some spiky leather costumes ideas.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did some paper work:

Last edited by Aonegamer; May 23rd, 2014 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, this is my first post on the site, so apologies if anything goes horribly wrong!

Here are some quick shapes I sketched, refined a few that I thought were quite interesting. No wings yet as I wanted to focus on the angels anatomy and posture first~
    Name:  2 - Shapes developed.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  246.2 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SteffJMurray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a continuation for my fallen angel. The wings might be more problematic than expected! Its my first time participating, so I hope I don't break any of the rules.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! This is also my first time posting and participating. I did a quick rough sketch for my concept. I was thinking of maybe the angel being tethered to the gate in some way and having her armor stripped down in some ways

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  180.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @RusselNG - I loved the thumbs, and love the colors, just try to not freeze the pose. Choose an emotion she/he is feeling, is she oppressed, or still fierce, or maybe raged by the lost of gods vision and the eternal cage? pose had to be words for a character.

@SteffMurray - I prefer #1 just because is more dynamic than the others. Nice thing to sketch lotta poses, but you could focus on differents every time. I can't see something really wide open, ore with legs work, theire all very vertical.

@Aonegamer - try to add some pain in him. He looks a little too much happy and strong to me =). Maybe his fierce had been bended, and so his old good looking is now compromised, not only by details (broken wings, scars, ripped clothes), but angels are spirits so his soul is the first thing that had suffered. Let us see this.

@Dayle - I love the gray modulation, anatomy and lights study. Read my comment up here.

@Tsujini - I REALLY love this piece. Could be finished like this and win. she's totally oppressed, and the mask looks like a very sad jokes by some joker demon. Than the idea to bind the hand to the thorned sword is great. I prefer the mask in the b/W version, and probably you could work more on the ruined wings to make this piece a little bit less sober (I love sober work but for my experience best appreciated concept are really minimal or baroque one).

@Kritzlof - Not bad, I love the weapon. Everything is a little bit settled, rigid. Add some movement in entanglements and laces and find good references for the body rendering.

Well, here is mine. I did not expected to find somethig good, but I'm quiet satisfied at the moment. I'll work a little bit on orange light without losing freshness, and have to work on vest, feet, and weapon. Crits are welcome, but please be tecnic as much as you can.

Name:  fallen angelthumb.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  219.2 KB

Name:  fallen angel03.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  333.6 KB

Name:  fallen angel04.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  426.1 KB

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  AngelofDeath.png
Views: 1204
Size:  403.1 KBName:  Ref.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  156.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds so metal, I can't NOT participate. Now to get a good inspiring playlist going...

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nightly update... Now I gotta sleep... I hope to not dream him. Come on people, push it to the limit! And give me fresh eyes feedback if you can.

Name:  fallen angel05.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  859.2 KB

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  AngelofDeath2.png
Views: 1177
Size:  349.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BlindLynx: As of right now, those shoulder pads are the things with the most contrast, so my eyes are going there first. They're great looking, but I'm hoping you can bring more attention elsewhere. I would suggest making the blood on his hands more apparent as well, with that being the focus of this image, or his face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blind linx- your piece has a majestic feel to it; larger then life angle. I'd try and push that further.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Blindlynx Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to make sure to loosen it up a little

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic. I'm not sure what I'll do, but here is a quick sketch of my initial idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not sure if I will be competing this week. a little frustrated with my lack of skill in rendering. well, we'll see. I do like the designs I did. but I liked the last bunch and I but I couldnt quite turn them into what I wanted.

Name:  thumbs353_2.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  61.1 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post
    not sure if I will be competing this week. a little frustrated with my lack of skill in rendering. well, we'll see. I do like the designs I did. but I liked the last bunch and I but I couldnt quite turn them into what I wanted.

Name:  thumbs353_2.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  61.1 KB
    Ashess, I think you may benefit by augmenting those soft, fuzzy brushes with some hard edge brushes. You could even try utilizing selections and "named" paths. You could try soft edges, then hard edges on a new layer or reversed and see which one works best for you.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to tsujni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to try to do some crits.... take them with a pile of salt, I'm not proficient in much of this stuff. So, here we go,....

@Kritzlof - the anatomy is a bit stiff and off ( the feet ). Draw an horizon line to represent the eye level of the viewer. Right now, the feet look as if your viewing them from eye level. Your value range is a bit compressed, but you may already be aware of that and will widen it later.

@ tSujni - FIX THOSE GODDAMN WINGS... it's been two days you lazy bastard.... and that shadow!

@ RusselNG - Love the armor concept... but as of now she seems a little too formal in her posture. Yeah, I know you're just getting the general concept down. I thought I'd just throw it out there. Of the weapons, the only one I like is the rose mace. Cool concept, very cool. As for your color version, I love that brush texture... as for the concept, I think you're going to need to push some "fallen" vibes into it.

@ Dayle - Thanks for the ref tip. Love the wings and the pose. You have a decent value range. I'd work the facial expression and I know that's the toughest part. Try for saddness, rage, anger, hurt etc...

@ Aonegamer - I'd like to see this fleshed out more before I crit it. As it is now, it is kind of hard to determine the fallen part. Yeah, I see the wings and the foot irons.

@ SteffJMurray - I like four and five the most. When I look at four I read those horns as a broken halo and I like that better than horns. Maybe even the idea of the halo being removed from the crown of the head and placed like a collar around the neck. I would like to see where you go with this.

@ Melvin Alvarez - the full body pose is too stiff. The two on the right are much better.

@ Blindlynx - Love the six winged Seraphim idea and the color scheme. THe wings bother the hell out of me, though. Also, very cool use of value... very solid dimensional feel.

@ Aerica - interesting start... I'm not sure of her expression, though.

@ the Colorado Kid - very unusual color palette... reminds me of TES: Battlespire. In terms of execution, it's way muddy... not enough hard edges. But, it's a WIP right?

@ Ashess - I commented directly in another post up higher.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tsujni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a go at picking out and refining couple of my designs a little more.

Name:  5 - Shapes developed final 3.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  170.9 KB

Refining further, here~

Name:  6 - Shapes developed final 3 - Refining.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  197.7 KB

I wanted to create a character that looked like they’d been a guard for a long time. A once beautiful angel whose time at the broken gate had taken its toll on them both physically and mentally. So this is the stage my design currently sits at.

Name:  11 - B&W concept.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  30.7 KB

With the weapon, I had the idea that it’s bonded to them when they are made to guard the gate, even if they let it go it remains attached to them, the chains tightening, going further into the skin, and becoming more painful as if the weapon clings to them.

@BlindLynx , @Tsujni : Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BlindLynx, @Tsujni. Thanks for the crit and advice! I will have to practice my pose drawings first before tackling the piece again by next week. Yeah, need to try to give it the fallen feel.

@BlindLynx, I think your character is looking pretty well now with quite a cool design, from the halo to the facial features. I do agree with Aerica that the shoulderpads are stealing the focal point because of the contrast. Other then that, I think just a little more polish to define the armor design would make it real solid!

I'm not so good at giving crits, so I'll give crits if you guys request for it. I'll just like to say pretty cool stuff so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow such gruesome such edgy theme. Hope I don't go to heck for this participating in this one...

Here's my idea. An angel bound by spiky chains to her blade with an iron maiden helmet, tainted wings and a pain induced pose. Very rough so far.

Name:  Chow Angel WIP1.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  550.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Meh. I can never make wings work.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @aerica - you're damn right, I just love character pauldrons and baroque armors. But focus need to be on his face or hands, I agree.
    @ashess - What would you try to push more? Angle or all the work? Do you have any idea how?
    @tsujni - that wings are bothering the hell outa you isn't a good thing, right? How would you fix that? More rendering?
    @RusselNG - I'm so lazy with rendering... I love strokes and big brushes, I hate to descend in details... But you are right. Armor need to be more detailed.
    @Drive by Uppercut - Havok Reed will never accept your work, more an illustration than a concept. We need to see the face, and armor and the front helm.
    @Stoat - Nice start. That old man looks very old classic, with an italian baroque pose, so i really like him. For wings, try to use big shaped brush, with fast strokes, trying to sinthetize shapes and colors.
    @

As I said, please try to be technic in crits and explain as much as you can. Thanx for your time, and push things to the limit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindLynx View Post
    @aerica - you're damn right, I just love character pauldrons and baroque armors. But focus need to be on his face or hands, I agree.
    @ashess - What would you try to push more? Angle or all the work? Do you have any idea how?

As I said, please try to be technic in crits and explain as much as you can. Thanx for your time, and push things to the limit!
    I would think that's up to you. whatever makes it look more majestic. at least, if that's what you are going for.
    one way would be to look up some images that convey the idea of majesty.

Name:  lenine.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  24.5 KB
    Name:  stock-photo-majestic-eagle-statue-turul-budapest-royal-palace-hungary-70769254.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  36.2 KB
    Name:  2d3159e6083cba3bf019e2a5999c47f8.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  7.8 KB
    Name:  582d3a154135ef8e0674da7b5e4a238b.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  81.8 KB

just some that I liked.... but I think you'd come up with others.

@tsujni- thats good advice. will work on it.

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ashess - that's crazy man. The third pic, is called Christ of the Abyss and is a votive statue in the sea of my hometown =). In the ocean of pics you pick up something very special for me. I will try to follow the advice, but it's always hard for me push a work further in details... Thanx =)

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindLynx View Post
    ***SNIP***
    @tsujni - that wings are bothering the hell outa you isn't a good thing, right? How would you fix that? More rendering?
    ***SNIP***

BlindLynx - Sorry, it's hard for me to crit work at your level. Yeah, the wings seem to mix hard shapes with a out of focus look that I find distracting. I would recommend rendering the areas near the figure and blur-ing the tips. I assume your using Photoshop? I would create a new layer and mask out the figure with a layer mask and then experiment with different renderings for the wings, sharp vs. blured, detailed versus non-detailed.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to tsujni For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 297