Thanks

Rosesor - Color & Light 1.1

Okay, here's my first attempt. The cast shadow from my hair was kind of hard to paint because my hair kept moving around. I learned a bit from watching how the shadow was affected, though
    Name:  Self-Portrait-1.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  135.3 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    This is really beautiful. I think, moving forward, that you would benefit from looking at some sargent portraits to see how he handles the sides of the nose and the way those forms transition into cheek and face. That is an area that is a little bit elusive, but a little bit of structural clarity as sargent or vermeer or sorolla or zorn handle such things, might be of benefit. Bouguereau does a nice job on that part of the face too.

keep up the great work.

jm

Thanks
    Thanks, Jason! I looked at the artists you suggested and tried to pay more attention to the nose area on this one.
    Name:  Self-Portrait-4.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  137.4 KB

Thanks
    Beautiful. A couple small thoughts...aside from the bigger impression of this looking very good. The complexion on the forehead looks a little spotty and in value..almost too busy..it's subtle but i think selecting that area and just running a blur on it would bring the values closer together. One large brushmark across that area could bring it together too, as when you get lots of little marks like that and the values are not close enough together it can feel less clean and a little bit overworked. I would suggest, at this point in the painting, that going over the piece quadrant by quadrant and making a pass on shapes and cleaning up marks, would take it to the next level. You have some fabulous edge work happening and your values look great. I look forward to seeing how you progress through this stuff. You are very talented.

jm

Thanks
    btw...the hardest part...is what you are doing the best at so far...and that is capturing the soul and life of the painting. Great presence.

j

Thanks
    Wow! So pretty! Awesome job!

Thanks
    wow it's really great especially with the hair, seems like the first better than the 2nd maybe because of the edge / brush stroke overall so beautiful

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ricknos For This Useful Post: