kenken03- Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: kenken03- Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

kenken03- Composition 1.1

Hi my name is Ken I'm just starting out with the basic of art so im giving this assignment a try see if I could improve on my drawing.
    The piece that I have chosen to draw was Van Dyck's Painting called "An Apostle".

Observation:
    - The main emphasis that I have observed on this piece was on the face which attract me and the lighting reflecting on the face which balance the piece.
    - Ive finish this piece around 2-3hr since it was my first time using a table and having a hard time around with the tools ive used.

[An Apostle - Van Dyck]
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  128.4 KB
    As I stated im quite new to art and hoping to improve my drawing skills
    Sory for my english it not my main language.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is very good for your first time using a tablet Kenken03. You may want to try experimenting with some more textured brushes in the future. There is a lot of texture in the original and I feel like your study could have been better had you used a textured brush in areas where you used a soft brush. Another thing that I see that could use some work is the way you have drawn the eyes. The eye on the left does not have a prominent highlight on the eye but both of the eyes in your study have white specular highlights. Its a little bit too much detail. In the future try flipping your canvas horizontally or even vertically to get a fresh perspective. You might see some details you missed or some areas that you've worked too much and need to be pushed back or toned down.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rassy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,065 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start on these. You are headed in the right direction. Watch your beard value!!

When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 10