Getting Frustrated?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Getting Frustrated?

Hello fellow Artists,

I wonder if you have ever gone through the same sentiment as I at the moment.. Ever since I was a kiddo I have been drawing, but I have never gotten really serious until I went to art school, where I suddenly started to realize what I had done wrong and that I had to change to actually improve my art. And that's what I've been trying to do.
    However, I am now at a point where I am just frustrated with Art, where I see this stuff more as a frustrating kind of exercise instead of fun... I look at all the awesome Concept Artists I admire so much and wish nothing more but to reach their level, but then I look at my stuff and just see "wow you improved so slowly" .. and I am already 22 nearly 23... :/ I'm so frustrated that I stopped drawing in such a long while, which of course didn't help.
    But anyway, my question is, have you experienced similiar phases before? And if so, what made drawing / painting fun for you again? How can I start to enjoy my old passion again?

Thank you guys!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drilling anything for too long is a pain in the ass. i'm not too far into art yet, but i guess i can draw a parallel with music, cause i've been doing that shit for over a decade. practicing scales sucks. it's necessary, but if you do it all the time you're gonna get burnt out and hate playing music. sometimes you have to take a period of a week, or even a month, and just not give a hoo about improving, and just enjoy the progress you've made. whether that's jamming in a garage with friends, or doing wierd, fun doodles. it's all the same. before you know it, you'll have that dirty hunger for improvement again, and it won't suck to practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alternatively, you can spend an afternoon drawing cocks in various styles. that'll shake the monotony XD

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kakao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A got frustrated easily in the past as well. I kinda overcame these phases by setting goals for myself which where not too hard to accomplish additionally to the big goal of becoming a decent artist.
    I am currently focusing on drawing heads, portraits ect. My ulitmate goal for this part was to sketch and render faces decently but the small goal i set at the start was simply drawing heads or rather doing sketches that don't make me want to barf on my tablet upon looking at them. When i achieved this i started analysing my work thus far, finding weakpoints and set the repairing of said as my new small objective.

You said you wanted to become as good as the reasonably admirable Concept Artists, which is fine but it can also become a burden to draw with this big challange breathing down your neck, figuratively.
    Lowering your own standards might help to see improvement and parts that are in need of being worked on particularly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just get excited about the challenges that art poses. It's interesting to me to look at someone else's work and try to figure out how they did that.

Work is not supposed to be "fun", if you want fun go go-karting on the weekend. Work is supposed to be challenging and frustrating and rewarding. It will continue to challenge you long after the easy kiddie stuff has become boring.

For you, I'm going to say that you need to nail down your life drawing and reference drawing first. You're going to find it impossible to get anything done without a really solid grounding in the basics. Post all your pencil studies so that people can tell what you need to work on without your use of digital programs complicating things.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been going through this frustration phase since a couple years after I seriously began to try to learn drawing. Even now, the vast majority of my effort has been wasted, but thanks to the advice of some users on this forum, that's likely going to change

It's just too bad that I lack the options to do things such as hire an art tutor, partly since my guardian and I are straddling the line between poverty and middle class. ^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    * Hiring an art tutor
    * Paying to go to art school

… Things that used to be almost necessary because there was no internet (though even then there were books… )

Now you have CA.org, and countless tutorials and demos on YouTube - Proko, Sycra, Control+Paint etc etc… Anyone who wants to can self-educate in art pretty thoroughly.

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I started drawing at 15. Even when the dream I had was side-tracked, I never stopped.

Took college classes. Didn't learn anything but about materials.

I'm one of those that learn by osmosis and by observational practice. Or, monkey see, monkey do, but then, monkey research and analyze how it was done until monkey understood.

I pick up things rather fast now.

Frustration comes from a lack of confidence and a lack of knowledge. Read. Develop a level of critical thinking wherein you look beyond just lines and shape and think of things, THINK of things as volume and form.

The one thing you must develop if you wish to develop further and not remain stagnate, is a higher level of critical thinking. Problem analysis. Talk to yourself as you are drawing, trying to solve a problem, more than just drawing a picture.

Break it down by working at the idea as a problem in, say, math.

I hate to say algebra, mainly because I sucked at advanced algebra in college, but think of it in that fashion.

The idea=a the process=b the how to begin=x the finished product=answer.

Since we are in the internet age, there are numerous sites, videos, books even, that are examples of the 'B' & 'X' part of the equation. These things will show you ONE way in which you can solve your problem, until you develop your own method, which will combine the parts of other methods.

Drawing is developing a shorthand technique that will lead you to solve the problem before you, just like all an artist's "style" is their personal shorthand that they developed to come to an answer.

Joy? Joy comes from either the pleasure of the process, or the resolution of the problem and gaining an understanding and accomplishment.

Oh, and there is no incorrect way to learn how to draw, just incorrect processes to LEARN & CONTINUE how to draw.

I learned from comics. I jumped from A to Z. After expanding my knowledge, I reversed course and learned a better skillset to use.

Truthfully, I've looked back at my old works, and I could see the potential in it, but I could also see the limits to what I was doing and the eventual wall I would have hit if I decided I wanted to draw more that just comics.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took a year off to remember why I loved to draw again.

When I decided to get serious about art I took too much advice, went cold turkey too quickly and got into a monotunous rut of "work harder no fun for you!". Took a year off to contemplate things to realize I was just worrying myself to death and that No one was judging me but myself, and that not being able to draw something at the moment wouldn't destroy my life, because in the end who really cared but me? Why did I even do art in the first place if i was so gosh darn terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mraukat View Post
    Art is hard, the reason it's easier as a kid is because we're big fish in a little pond. We draw because we're bored and we feel good about it, and because it's an exciting new hobby, you don't worry about the end game. When we grow up, we realize just how many things we have to work on,and we worry.
    My advice to you, what does it matter that you're rusty or not?Will this dramaticly impact your ife if you can't draw a cow?No one but you is judging you. Take some deep breaths, stare at a cow, doesn't that cow look cool? what if that cow breathes fire? Have fun,draw more.

helpful video from Dark sider from the same topic
    [/QUOTE]

MY ADVICE TO YOU: take something you think you can't do (preferably something simple), something real that you can look at everyday (photo, still life, just not imaginative yet.)let that little voice snark and tell you that you can't draw it. Then draw it, then wait and draw it again, do this everyday keep them all in order, in a sketchbook or tape it to a wall until you think it's perfect, Then switch it up, what if it was facing the other direction? reflected in a mirror, a reflection worthy of mc esher? Oh look, you drew the thing.

Last edited by Mraukat; July 22nd, 2014 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art can be fun but it's work and it's hard. You have been given great advice so far. This is a learned skill and you won't get there overnight. If you start at your basics you can't go wrong. The fancy paintings will come. Even after you are at higher levels you will still need to brush up on your basics. My work isn't where I want it to be so I started doing still lives and prospective studies again. I also have people in my life who are supportive. Mostly, I won't ever stop because I enjoy the process and every bit of improvement is exciting.

See my Sketchbook!!!!!!!!

And my blog

Members who have read this thread: 56