General Environment Critique

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: General Environment Critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

General Environment Critique

Name:  10003311_10203360607636976_1615469199545044296_n.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  53.4 KBAlright guys, this is my first critique. I am new to digital art. Any thoughts are appreciated, but because I know many of you do not like vague posts here are some guiding thoughts:

Conceptually, I was locked into the lantern thing, because I like to give myself elements to work around. Because I have had commissioned projects where I have to do concept art for a video game, board game, or novel title. I feel that the composition is weak because of a lack of a good focal point... fix? I also had trouble balancing how much detail to use. Balancing between realistic (black silhouettes) and cartoon (everything in detail). like in these two examples:

Realistic:
    http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slide...halong-bay.jpg

This is realistic, silhouettes.

Cartoon:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2051/...0f4fd391_m.jpg

Or this one ^^ where everything is in detail, but you really don't come across that in real life. In particular with the mountains and villages that the lanterns are coming out of. I went with detail on the mountains and silhouettes on the village. Good choice? What would you change. Also, I think the villages are underdone and uninteresting, but I don't know how to change that without making it look very cartoony. Also, I realized thanks to another artist the horizon is too harsh and it looks like the boat is about to go over a waterfall, but I've seen real life examples of that. Is there anything else like that you could tear apart for me?

I'm new, so it's not very good and any help means a lot. Thanks!

Sorry, had trouble with the uploader.

Last edited by Rmetzger93; May 11th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing..?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm the guy of the other post, let's try to to get this thread alive and people talk hehehe. Like you saw I'm not any kind of pro, but I learnt a lot on youtube and another's eye view can be interesting.You could try to push the two far "mounts" back, with a soft brush, just darken it a bit (or a bit more if you have done it) with the sky colour, it will bring more atmosphere perspective and realism of depth (i think heheh, if you don't like it you always can undo it ) and I think it will take off a bit of detail in the furthest things, and this can help your decision of realistic and comic, it can be realistic but with detail I think
    And just one thing, the white lines on the nearest mount, I don't know if you tried to do the higlight or the separation of different layers of rock, but it pops a lot like if it was something else, like "vegetal ropes" (I don't know how to say it in english) or like waterfalls at some points (too many lines on the bottom maybe) but I don't really know how to fix it.
    These are just my opinons, thoughts of a unexperienced guy and very new on the art world, you decide if you take them

Last edited by jimmixgs; May 14th, 2014 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One strange thing I notice - there are reflections of light sources, but you can't see the sources themselves. And one of the sources seems to be behind a ship, so I don't know how it could cast a reflection down into the water that we'd be able to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys,
    I thought this thread died! Thanks for the input!

@Jimmixgs The white parts are supposed to be waterfalls, like the ones in Hawaii. I may have made them a bit too basic. Otherwise, thanks for the ideas! I think I got too caught up with the old asian painting look. Lol

@Darkstrider I totally missed that! What happened was that the ships and other details were actually added on. Originally, it was just the lights so the reflections made sense and I forgot to edit it when I added the other stuff.

Thanks! Please, keep them coming!

Members who have read this thread: 22