Teen challenge 213: The monster in your closet

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Teen challenge 213: The monster in your closet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Teen challenge 213: The monster in your closet

Name:  TeenBanner.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  475.8 KB

It seems our regular threadman, D.Labruyere, has some (yet undefined) trouble and is at the moment unable to reach us. I hope he's okay, and I'll try to contact him. For now though, let's continue our activities. I will try to manage this thread, if everyone is okay with that...

Task:
    Your objective for this teen challenge is to design 'the monster in your closet'. A common myth for children is that the monsters hiding in their rooms at night are going to eat their toes off or some horrible thing like that. Think of the ways you can make the monster look scary, I would advise making a simple collage on beforehand to get you inspired.

You will be free in what format you'll keep the end result, but do think about it. A painting might show just the mood you're going for, and you can create a childs room that fits your monster. A concept-like presentation shows more of your drawing and design skills, however.

I will be participating in this too, but as I chose the topic myself I will not enter the finals.

Deadline:
    Sunday 25th of may at midnight(gmt).

Don't forget to crit each other and help each other out. I accept both traditional and digital work, but make sure that scans and photos of traditional work are crisp and clean.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow good topic, it's inspiring :-) ! I'll try to participate ( sorry it's my first time on the forum, I hope I will not make too many mistake *excuse my english I'm french!* )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PROCYON, welcome to the forum! Don't worry, there's a lot of non-native speakers here (myself included)

I'm looking forward to your progress

Clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet topic. Thanks for continuing this Clockwork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem Madnine, I hope you'll enjoy the challenge
    I contacted D.Labruyere, apparently his computer died. He estimated it would take two weeks to get a new one set up properly, so I'll run this challenge and then we should be okay.

Here is a moodboard I made yesterday. I want to make a monster that looks scary but actually isn't, for children's stories or something. I put some scary looking pics in there as well as some inspiration from monsters & Co, as I'm a huge pixar fan.

Name:  Teen challenge - the monster in your closet moodboard.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  524.3 KB

Clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hey guys! feels like its been a while I might just hop on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joining teen challenge for the first time! Here's my first WIP. The concept was that the monster was a sweet looking serial killing schoolgirl. (edit) But in case considered not following the rules I also made a creature monster in case. Feedback is appreciated

Also looking forward to seeing you other guys' progress!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by deaedbeat; May 22nd, 2014 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey deaedbeat, welcome! I'm not sure I totally understand what youu mean with that description, but the monster should be something that hides in closets in other people's houses. Could be a schoolgirl that eats people, do what you like. I feel you aren't as passionate for the other concept, so by all means pick the schoolgirl

I've been doing some doodling too; feedback is welcome!
    Name:  Teewn challenge - monster in closet.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  397.6 KB

Would love to see some more
    Clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @theclockworkpainter A cannibal schoolgirl serial killer who hides in it is closets then Thank you for the idea! The description was basically a fancier way of saying serial killer, it wasn't very clear so I just took it out.
    The single shoe beside your monster makes me think someones going to whack it with the other shoe haha It looks cute and does remind me of pixar, the nose(?) kind of bothers me though but that just might be design choice.

Colored in the sketch, still have to refine some stuff but its probably 2/3 done. Figured this was going to be cannibal schoolgirl serial killer's ed gein lair. Also included a pic of art that inspired the color choice somewhat.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I opened a finals thread, extended the deadline a bit to compensate for it being late. (sorry... )

Cheers, clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The finals are now closed, and I figured out how to do a poll so get over there and vote!

Great work, daeadbeat and shadow wind.
    Shadow wind: Your image looks cool, I like the rough fading effect to the white and the painting is nice too. Really sets a good mood, I think. It's a shame we didn't get to see any wip's from you...
    Daeadbeat: Nice image, nice design. I like the color scheme, and also the fact that you actually had quite a line drawing in there which you managed to paint away very well.

Clockwork

13. The Following User Says Thank You to theclockworkpainter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was fun, thank you for organizing it theclockworkpainter. Great piece Shadow wind and good luck to us both

Members who have read this thread: 56