Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Atnasina - Composition 1.1

Thanks

Atnasina - Composition 1.1

Hey guys, this is my first image, I chose this one mostly cause I liked her expression, and the value play. I feel like there are high variety in the values (as well as in texture), the light dress leading up to frame her dark face. The amount of detail in her face from what I see is high compared to the lower half of the image. I also thought about the repetition within the image (found the circular shape). She is surrounded by lepard print on both right and left, the statue itself is kind of oval/circular, her buttons, pillows, and the wall behind. This is my attempt and my interpretation to find compositional principals in the image. A very fun image to try out, all the best. Over and out!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi!

Nice start here, but your canvas is narrower than the original, so all your shapes are a bit squeezed!
    This exercise is already hard enough in my opinion, so I don't think it would be considered cheating if you create a canvas the exact same size as the original

Nice job, keep up painting!

Thanks
    Oh yeah your'e right! I didnt even see that, makes everything in the wrong place. I also feel theres something wrong with here pose thanks for your input ZeCarnevilCat!

Thanks

Red face Second study

This is my second study, I believe the rhythm in this image is the arches going from front to background, connecting everything.
    As well I found some "diagonal" lines both in the foreground and the background which balances the image very well.
    On another note, I really struggle to both be able to map everything out and look for correct values/shapes in an hour, the result being that I neglect some fundamental stuff. It ends up feeling very off and wrong! Any suggestions? slow down?

thanks!

Thanks
    Your values are reading really well, but it seems you've used a narrower canvas again which will make it harder to map out your shapes correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about the time limit. I think it's better to slow down and make sure everything is in the right place rather than rush though it and have things in the wrong place. I think the time limit is there to make sure people work on the image as a "whole" and see the values in relation to one another instead of focusing on one small part and detailing it out before placing the correct shapes and values around it. Of course I could be wrong about that, but that's my thought on it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelObsession View Post
    Your values are reading really well, but it seems you've used a narrower canvas again which will make it harder to map out your shapes correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about the time limit. I think it's better to slow down and make sure everything is in the right place rather than rush though it and have things in the wrong place. I think the time limit is there to make sure people work on the image as a "whole" and see the values in relation to one another instead of focusing on one small part and detailing it out before placing the correct shapes and values around it. Of course I could be wrong about that, but that's my thought on it.

Thanks alot for your input Pixel! Yeah i noticed the image shape aswell, looking out for it alot more now. It really messes up the entire mapping of everything if not correct. I think ill try slowing the first phase of the process down a little, maybe just making everything staying in the right spot/ values will take an hour itself well thanks again for writing, appriciated

Thanks

Atnasina-third study

Heya, this is my third image..this is done in 1h. I already notice that the girl in my image is slightly smaller than the original. Guess yet again my problem is seeing the correct shapes? I liked this art work at first sight. I think that her posture and the way she is holding the box kinda forms a triangle, and that repeats in the box-shape itself. She really stands out, since she has a very light value overall compared to the background and surroundings. Im not very happy with my hand in this time, but I did this like a week ago, and have had some nice tips since!
    Last edited by Atnasina; May 22nd, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks

atnasina-fourth image

So this image, I think economy and variety are both heavily used. The mountains in the background naturally being more subtle, but also the mounds in the foreground are less detailed to support the main subjects. The variety in values throughout the image is great, the points of interest being much darker than the surrounding elements. It looks like the darker/lighter values are alternated from front to background. That's just my interpretation, thanks for reading

Thanks

Atnasina-fifth image

I just love Frazettas work, and this image never stops to amaze. There are so many small subtle things all around, and it took me a great while before I even noticed the gorilla sitting to the left in the bushes
    I feel like the shapes in this artwork are just all leading into each other, the massive "snake-like" tree's going into the image, going over one another and so forth. Continuity. I also make out repetition in shapes, the moon, framed by another oval.
    Really just a genius image. Very challenging work of art!

Thanks

Atnasina-sixth image

I like the mystic atmosphere in this piece, the emphasis of this piece lies around the house and that's the highly detailed area. I do notice some very high values spread like a pattern here and there in the image, maybe that to spark some attention around? It feels like light is coming in from both left and right to balance the painting, since theres so much dark value going on on and behind the actual main subject.
    I failed on this piece as I spent way to much time really zoomed in on the house

Thanks
    Thanked 11,356 Times in 2,877 Posts
    These are coming along great. The frazetta is a big jump for you in value accuracy. You seem to be working with a slightly different value range than the original, on your other pieces. Try looking at both images at the same time by resting your eyes on a point between them. Let your eyes relax and then check both images at the same time by looking in your peripheral vision. The answer is found there. Compare the biggest value shapes first when you do that...it should be more clear if you do as you seem to be looking back and forth very well, but looking at both images at the same time looks like something to incorporate.

Keep up the good work.

jm

Thanks
    Very useful tips. Will definitely start doing that, as one of my biggest problems is that I look into the details (maybe zooming in) too early in the process. Thanks Jason!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atnasina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,356 Times in 2,877 Posts
    welcome. i look forward to the updates.

jm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast