Atnasina - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Atnasina - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys, this is my first image, I chose this one mostly cause I liked her expression, and the value play. I feel like there are high variety in the values (as well as in texture), the light dress leading up to frame her dark face. The amount of detail in her face from what I see is high compared to the lower half of the image. I also thought about the repetition within the image (found the circular shape). She is surrounded by lepard print on both right and left, the statue itself is kind of oval/circular, her buttons, pillows, and the wall behind. This is my attempt and my interpretation to find compositional principals in the image. A very fun image to try out, all the best. Over and out!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

Nice start here, but your canvas is narrower than the original, so all your shapes are a bit squeezed!
    This exercise is already hard enough in my opinion, so I don't think it would be considered cheating if you create a canvas the exact same size as the original

Nice job, keep up painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah your'e right! I didnt even see that, makes everything in the wrong place. I also feel theres something wrong with here pose thanks for your input ZeCarnevilCat!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Second study

This is my second study, I believe the rhythm in this image is the arches going from front to background, connecting everything.
    As well I found some "diagonal" lines both in the foreground and the background which balances the image very well.
    On another note, I really struggle to both be able to map everything out and look for correct values/shapes in an hour, the result being that I neglect some fundamental stuff. It ends up feeling very off and wrong! Any suggestions? slow down?

thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your values are reading really well, but it seems you've used a narrower canvas again which will make it harder to map out your shapes correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about the time limit. I think it's better to slow down and make sure everything is in the right place rather than rush though it and have things in the wrong place. I think the time limit is there to make sure people work on the image as a "whole" and see the values in relation to one another instead of focusing on one small part and detailing it out before placing the correct shapes and values around it. Of course I could be wrong about that, but that's my thought on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelObsession View Post
    Your values are reading really well, but it seems you've used a narrower canvas again which will make it harder to map out your shapes correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about the time limit. I think it's better to slow down and make sure everything is in the right place rather than rush though it and have things in the wrong place. I think the time limit is there to make sure people work on the image as a "whole" and see the values in relation to one another instead of focusing on one small part and detailing it out before placing the correct shapes and values around it. Of course I could be wrong about that, but that's my thought on it.

Thanks alot for your input Pixel! Yeah i noticed the image shape aswell, looking out for it alot more now. It really messes up the entire mapping of everything if not correct. I think ill try slowing the first phase of the process down a little, maybe just making everything staying in the right spot/ values will take an hour itself well thanks again for writing, appriciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-third study

Heya, this is my third image..this is done in 1h. I already notice that the girl in my image is slightly smaller than the original. Guess yet again my problem is seeing the correct shapes? I liked this art work at first sight. I think that her posture and the way she is holding the box kinda forms a triangle, and that repeats in the box-shape itself. She really stands out, since she has a very light value overall compared to the background and surroundings. Im not very happy with my hand in this time, but I did this like a week ago, and have had some nice tips since!

Last edited by Atnasina; May 22nd, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

atnasina-fourth image

So this image, I think economy and variety are both heavily used. The mountains in the background naturally being more subtle, but also the mounds in the foreground are less detailed to support the main subjects. The variety in values throughout the image is great, the points of interest being much darker than the surrounding elements. It looks like the darker/lighter values are alternated from front to background. That's just my interpretation, thanks for reading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-fifth image

I just love Frazettas work, and this image never stops to amaze. There are so many small subtle things all around, and it took me a great while before I even noticed the gorilla sitting to the left in the bushes
    I feel like the shapes in this artwork are just all leading into each other, the massive "snake-like" tree's going into the image, going over one another and so forth. Continuity. I also make out repetition in shapes, the moon, framed by another oval.
    Really just a genius image. Very challenging work of art!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-sixth image

I like the mystic atmosphere in this piece, the emphasis of this piece lies around the house and that's the highly detailed area. I do notice some very high values spread like a pattern here and there in the image, maybe that to spark some attention around? It feels like light is coming in from both left and right to balance the painting, since theres so much dark value going on on and behind the actual main subject.
    I failed on this piece as I spent way to much time really zoomed in on the house

Thanks
    Thanked 11,137 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    These are coming along great. The frazetta is a big jump for you in value accuracy. You seem to be working with a slightly different value range than the original, on your other pieces. Try looking at both images at the same time by resting your eyes on a point between them. Let your eyes relax and then check both images at the same time by looking in your peripheral vision. The answer is found there. Compare the biggest value shapes first when you do that...it should be more clear if you do as you seem to be looking back and forth very well, but looking at both images at the same time looks like something to incorporate.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very useful tips. Will definitely start doing that, as one of my biggest problems is that I look into the details (maybe zooming in) too early in the process. Thanks Jason!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atnasina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome. i look forward to the updates.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep...keep the zooming in and out going. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-seventh image

Another Frazetta image, as said before I really admire his work and the complexity of his work. For this image I already see a lot of things that went wrong with my interpretation. The biggest issue is her face, it was driving me insane. I couldn't get it too look like her and I have no idea what's really wrong.

So to the things I see composition wise, Repetition and rhythm in the branches going into the image, almost like arrows pointing to the main subjects. Or is that more contuinity (refering to suggested lines). Also she is way lighter than her surrounding subjects/enviorment, that helps emphasis the main figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-eight image

As soon as I found this image I was struck by it, she has an expression that's interesting to me. There is a good balance and use of variety through out, where as I see it the lighter value areas are arranged almost like a triangle (her arms, chest/neck and head). The emphasis is her face and it really pops against the darker surrounding values. I also think that the dog in the corner serves an important part, since he is looking at our subject therefore making us find our way back up in the image.
    I struggled once again with the overall shape of her face, and I didn't pull it off. Once again I cant really seem to figure out why that is. Thanks for reading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-ninth image

So in this image I find a lot of repetition going on, considering the "veins" running on all objects ( the bird-creature, the orb and her head). There's also a great use of economy in the lower part of the wings, making us focus more around the top part of the image. A really interesting piece to watch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good progress. Go ahead and work them a little bit larger, perhaps twice as big, now that you have the process of general to specific working well.

Keep up the great work.

j

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! alright, will start keeping them about double the size. Nice to hear your kind words Jason!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-10th image

Okay so obviously this was not a 1 hour study for me, I have an urge, the more images I do to take them further and see how close I can push myself. Might have overdone on this one though, it was just hard to stop
    Anyhow, I really like the interaction between the subjects in this piece, I believe that theres a balance created with the values on the robes. Mainly cause the middle guy has the darkest value clothing and he is framed by the others crowding in on him, somehow I get the feeling that the overlapping happening in all objects/subjects also help create a "flow" for the eye across the image.

PS. Jason, I tried to load it a lot bigger this time but it ended up only showing one of the images/one and a half, couldnt make it fit. Any tips? thanks

Last edited by Atnasina; June 5th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-11th image

There is much diagonal movement going on in this image as well as economy is used to frame the main focal points. The light in this image also helps move us around in the piece. The shape I see is almost "oval", the hand meets up with the foot, creating a connecting through out. Very fun image to interpret, I really appreciate the economy use, it's really rough in some parts against the smooth body surface.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work. The one just prior to the most recent, would benefit from a bit more texture/surface work with a texture brush. Also the angle of the middle guys shirt/arm area seems a bit upright. The most recent image is awesome and I think some of the area that paint streaks are coming down under the breast could perhaps soften a bit. Outside that, you are on the right track and i look forward to your updates.

jm

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atnasina-image 12

I struggled quite a bit with the overall form/shape of this piece, I find that there is a lot of contrast working for this image. So I would say that this image uses variety heavily in, both in values but also her pose. To me it feels like she is kind of stiff in the arms,shoulder, neck area, yet lying fairly relaxed in the grasp of the creature. I guess that creates a point of interest in itself. The piece is very left heavy but I think that the artist balances that out by having the trumpet going in the right as well as most of the dark parts of the background supporting and framing the subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy sh!t!
    Awesome work! I took me a couple of seconds to guess which one was yours
    I think it's time you put your name under the copy!
    Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeCarnevilCat View Post
    Holy sh!t!
    Awesome work! I took me a couple of seconds to guess which one was yours
    I think it's time you put your name under the copy!
    Great job!
    Wow, that means so much to me, you just made my entire day ZecarnevilCat thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your studies are looking amazing, especially that last one! All your work is definitely paying off. Keep it up. Can't wait to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelObsession View Post
    Wow, your studies are looking amazing, especially that last one! All your work is definitely paying off. Keep it up. Can't wait to see more

thank you soo much Pixel! and likewise of course, as I've said before. When I look around on all you guys around here I really appriciate how much work you've put into it, to get to where you're at. And it's also a great motivation to be able to share like this, for me it's been really hard to show stuff in public, so when I get your feedback it really pushes me to keep it up! thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome job. please up size them just a little bit now that you are getting the general to specific process down. great work though..these are looking like strong studies and at this point just keep them coming!

Members who have read this thread: 56