Matte Painting "Firecanes"

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Which piece is stronger?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plate one

1 100.00%
  • Plate two

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Matte Painting "Firecanes"

Hi, a critique on these pieces would be nice. I am considering moving the "Sun" slightly higher so the lighting is more correct, but I'd like to see your take on this piece. What vibe are you getting out of it, are the textures applied appropriately?

Plate one
    Name:  redplanetcloseup5102014thumbnale.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  225.8 KB

Plate two
    Name:  redplanetcloseupthumbna.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  246.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the lighting lacks coherence. Basically only that small moon/planet is coherent and gets the proper light.
    Don't forget that in space there are very few sources of diffuse lighting, and since planets are very round, shadows have to get a very 'tight' line, and be very strong. Atmospheres may change this though, but here you've missed some important aspects.

The rings of that planet need a shadow, and a very strong one too. Also they could have a bit more opacity, but the only reason you would see them is that they get light from the sun, so you won't see anything if they are in the shadow. Cast a shadow on them. Also, you can make them brighter where they get alot of light, but don't forget they can cast their own shadow on the planet, and on themselves.

The planet on the foreground gets light from the sun, but a bit too much, especially the hidden places. You could use the atmosphere to get some nice effects. Try looking at some pictures online, there's a whole nasa website with an infinite amount of them.

The planet with the rings requires a much stronger shadow. I know you want it to produce light, but the sun would provide an insane amount of light far greater than anything molten lava can achieve. Keep the light from the lava, but dull it down a bit, and make sure the shadow is stronger.

The small moon simply needs a more coherent shadow shape compared to the light source.

I hope this helps get a bit more of a coherent piece. I'm not saying everything must be done exactly, since obviously sometimes design goes over realism, but it's better if it's more believable. The best is if you manage to use everything to help the composition.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.