A Hobbyist's Journey

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Hobbyist's Journey

Hello everyone. I've been drawing since 2000, but after asking for help in another art forum (on reddit) I was told that I'm a beginner and need to start from scratch. As much as this hurt to hear I know it'll be for the better. This intent of this sketchbook is to display my progress over time.

A little about myself: I only draw for fun. It is soothing and quite nice to get into a zone and come away with something that was originally nothing. My goal is to be able to draw like this. I am currently a full time student participating in a research program towards synthetic photosynthesis. I don't always have time to draw, but now that summer is here I can draw on the days I'm not doing research.

I was directed towards Ctrl+Paint and their tutorials to start.

First go. One of the early lessons is to draw lots of rectangular objects. I used the eraser that came with my art kit. The circular object was a ball of dark blue clay that I pulled out and tried to sketch the shadows on.
    Name:  20140510_123421 small.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  85.1 KB

More squares plus a headphone as I got bored of drawing squares.
    Name:  20140510_123439 small.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  88.2 KB

My original "day zero" drawing so I have a baseline reference. There are other drawings I could use to measure my skill as well but I wanted something fresher. I'm well aware of how bad it is.
    Name:  20140510_123442 small.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  121.9 KB

More erasers, rectangles, and objects. I was told I'm supposed to draw these until my eyes bleed.
    Name:  20140510_123459 small.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  86.0 KB

All of the basic shapes in this drawing referenced from clay objects I made. Pyramids are absolutely terrible to make out of clay since they always seem to turn square. The eye and the lady in the lower left are both referenced from Brittany Snow.
    Name:  20140510_123509 small.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  99.5 KB

A closer picture of the Brittany Snow picture.
    Name:  Brittany Snow 1 small.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  119.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I drew these the other night. They're better than what I've done before but you can see my lack of practice on the face and mouths for sure. I know I should be drawing more from life, but I drew these anyway. Back to drawing from life!

Name:  20140527_222617.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  1.23 MB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Members who have read this thread: 1