Toxisanar - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Toxisanar - Composition 1.1

Thanks

Toxisanar - Composition 1.1

Hello everyone,

I got a few questions.

I would like to improve my drawing skills, because as you see, I'm not good at all and maybe I should improve my drawing skills by doing still life's? I also want to improve by using traditional art because I want to be able to draw and paint. Maybe in future I'll start using my Wacom tablet too.

Below is my first study for today.

Name:  VanGogh.png
Views: 175
Size:  383.5 KB

As you see I'm not good at all, but I'll draw every day from now on, and hopefully improve.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    keep it up - you've managed to observe many of the key details in the image - more practice will get your drawing on track.

Thanks
    Another drawing for today.
    Original by Albert Bierstadt.

Name:  Bierstadt (1024x335).jpg
Views: 63
Size:  245.7 KB

Thanks
    Original by Claude Monet.

Name:  Claude_Monet.png
Views: 53
Size:  387.8 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 10,990 Times in 2,556 Posts
    Ok...great to see where you are at. For the next one, please try something for me. Try mapping out the line drawings with both images upside down. This is a trick that tends to get your mind to let go of the 'what it is" and lets you focus on the shapes themselves. Don't worry about details...the main thing to focus on is the big positive and negative shapes.

Google Bargue Drawings. You will see how shapes are mapped out, not just around the objects...but the light and dark patterns in the piece. For example the landscape original is more about the shapes of the trees against the sky, than perhaps the outer contour of each tree. Look for value shapes more than looking for what the image is. The values and their shapes fit together kind of like a puzzle with sharp and soft edges.

Lastly, I know you are spending more time looking at your image than moving your eyes back and forth between them. When artists do that they end up with figures that are bigger or big shapes going unseen. You can totally do this...we just need to slow you down a little and look at the original, and while remembering a shape with your mind, put the shape down in your study. Then immediately look back again and check what you did. Your eyes should be looking back and forth every 4 seconds or so...not every 10 or 20. Keep your eyes moving. It will improve your accuracy and cause you to spend more time looking at the original, in order to get information from it to put down in yours.

Keep it up.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jason Manley
    Ok...great to see where you are at. For the next one, please try something for me. Try mapping out the line drawings with both images upside down. This is a trick that tends to get your mind to let go of the 'what it is" and lets you focus on the shapes themselves. Don't worry about details...the main thing to focus on is the big positive and negative shapes.

Google Bargue Drawings. You will see how shapes are mapped out, not just around the objects...but the light and dark patterns in the piece. For example the landscape original is more about the shapes of the trees against the sky, than perhaps the outer contour of each tree. Look for value shapes more than looking for what the image is. The values and their shapes fit together kind of like a puzzle with sharp and soft edges.

Lastly, I know you are spending more time looking at your image than moving your eyes back and forth between them. When artists do that they end up with figures that are bigger or big shapes going unseen. You can totally do this...we just need to slow you down a little and look at the original, and while remembering a shape with your mind, put the shape down in your study. Then immediately look back again and check what you did. Your eyes should be looking back and forth every 4 seconds or so...not every 10 or 20. Keep your eyes moving. It will improve your accuracy and cause you to spend more time looking at the original, in order to get information from it to put down in yours.

Keep it up.

jm
    Thank you very much! I turned the images, and I think it helped me! So I'm just going to use this more often, I also try to look more often at the drawing and the example This is the last drawing I made..

Name:  frank_frazetta_darkkingdom.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  150.0 KBName:  DSC02991.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  116.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 10,990 Times in 2,556 Posts
    When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Members who have read this thread: 28