Can you be an artist without art school? (London)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can you be an artist without art school? (London)

Hello,

I want to become a professional artist but my degrees are in science. Is it possible to be taken seriously as an artist without having been to art school?

I feel confident with my technique and methodology; but have no idea how I can get exposure as an artist, get exhibitions and financing for my more ambitious projects.

I'd also quite like to network with other people who are serious about art and preferably based in the London area - do give me a shout if this sounds like you!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you're interested in teaching or working abroad, nobody cares a damn about the schools you visited. It is all about your skills.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Unless you're interested in teaching or working abroad, nobody cares a damn about the schools you visited. It is all about your skills.
    Many thanks, any tips on what to do with my artwork and how to get exposure?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To tell the truth it is a rare art school that covers the business side of art right now - at least in the United States. Sad but true. If this is your main concern then rest assured us art school graduates generally don't have an edge there and we learn to sink or swim on our own. >.<

For financing, do a search for artist grants. I don't know whether you have something similar for the London area(I would be surprised if you didn't, though, big city!) but Chicago, where I am from, has a huge resource site for this kind of thing, listing grants, exhibitions, etc.

For anyone in my area with this dilemma -> http://www.chicagoartistsresource.org/, by the way.

Also - again, don't know how relevant this is to the UK, but there is a great annual publication with tons of listings and contacts for galleries, magazines, publishers, etc. that are looking for new artists and designers. If not relevant to Europe, maybe you can find something comparable?

http://www.amazon.com/2014-Artists-G.../dp/1440329435

You need to learn to talk and write about your art, especially if you are interested in more conceptual/cerebral work. The more interesting things you can say about the work you produce, the better! I would recommend going to a couple of galleries that are running solo exhibitions and asking to see the artist statements to get a good grip of what this entails. Also, applying for a couple of relevant group exhibitions might be a good start, to see whether you can start getting some exposure that way, just make sure to have a portfolio online to refer people who might be interested in your work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Envisualist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HabbaBoo View Post
    Many thanks, any tips on what to do with my artwork and how to get exposure?
    So far, you haven't even told us what art you are going for: concept art, illustration, autonomous art?
    Maybe show your portfolio here?

Grinnikend door het leven...

Members who have read this thread: 38