Eye Drawing

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Eye Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eye Drawing

So I this I was testing new equipment and a new way of getting skin tone.. I think the skin tone did well in this one (Better than before), however I have no idea why but something is missing...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems that you are drawing outlines rather than grasping and emphasizing the form of the eye. Also the values appear to be rather random.

Try to understand what you want to draw first before you start. This video should give you a good insight of how the eye is contructed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bC...pC13GQ&index=2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    It seems that you are drawing outlines rather than grasping and emphasizing the form of the eye. Also the values appear to be rather random.

Try to understand what you want to draw first before you start. This video should give you a good insight of how the eye is contructed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bC...pC13GQ&index=2
    How do you get to understand it like that? also like how do you draw the eye without lines... I use lines as a guideline and try shade the eye in and the lines out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieron12 View Post
    How do you get to understand it like that? also like how do you draw the eye without lines... I use lines as a guideline and try shade the eye in and the lines out
    Just do a lot of studies. The video from Stan Prokopenko i posted show you the planes you need to be looking for when drawing an eye from observation.
    I am drawing digitally, so i usually don't need to worry about shading my underlying sketch of the eye out. I can just hide the line work.

I think i wasn't clear enough when i said that you are drawing outlines. I meant that the the underlying structure is in need of improvement judging from the lines that are still visible.
    If you take a look at the second video from Stan Prokopenko concerning eyes you'll see that he manages to create the illusion of depth just with his linework. If you achieve this you can start shading and will most likely be rewarded with a good looking drawing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtrqS...4UT-yUo7pC13GQ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It helps to think of the eye and skin as a living whole — with contours, and depth, and light where shades are not, instead of a flat chosen subject to be drawn and shaded. ^^

Because I don't get some parts of your shading — where is the light coming from? Your shadows are missing. You've got the skin tone, but there's no proper depth. It's, as Tiggeraz said, inconsistent. The shaded part to the top right of the eye drags out a little too much while the lighter parts on the side of the nose ridge doesn't coalesce with the rest of the shadows.

Imagine when the eye fully opens, or closes, what are the shapes going to be? Build the shades and lines around it for a more natural look.

Also, for studies, if you're going to do them, try to draw what you look at, not what you think you see.

Jiayou!

"In yourself right now is all the place you've got."
    "There's no failure except in no longer trying."
    "Practice not just till you get it right, but till you never get it wrong."
    "Seven times down, eight times up."

R O O
    sketchbook | deviantART

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks guys I will definitely take this into consideration with my future works

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something is missing, you feel, and wow! i can relate to that agony, except i usually feel that something is messed up or wrong and use curse words.
    make a photocopy of your drawing, and put a real dark, eye shaped darkness, slightly angled, that starts above the tear duct, follows the contour of the inner upper eyelid then arcs upward and drops back down to where you began the shadow just above the tear duct.
    that is consistently the darkest part of the the whole eye, if you think of eye as everything below the eyebrow and above the cheekbone, and between the nose and the edge of the temple, no matter from where the light is hitting the eye.
    i say, "make a photocopy" because i often do that to wrestle with elusive problems, and i can compare different approaches, see the evolution of my struggle.
    also, one of the best tools i've found in my drawing quest off and on over the last 25 years are the books by Robert Beverly Hale. in his book anatomy lessons from the great masters on page 210 he analyses Albrecht Durer's charcoal portrait of the artist's mother, specifically her eye.
    Hale's books are the best tools i've ever found. here's a link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C760
    libraries often have his books.

Members who have read this thread: 21