Sketchbook: The long way

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The long way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The long way

Hey there and welcome to my little sketchbook thread here

Alright some stuff about me, I am Julian, live in Germany and I began drawing and painting in Winter 2013. My goal is it to become professional.. pretty common thing here I think so yep, I really took it seriously with practicing everyday since May and so the big challenge is to get a job after one year of being totally concentrated on learning the basics/fundamentals of drawing and painting.. I wouldn't mind not getting a job so soon but I want my work to be on a certain level in May 2015.

I turned 20 in May and the plan is to teach myself everything I have to know with books and the internet and I hope it's gonna work out!
    I will be posting (almost) every day here and try to get to at least 8-10 hours of drawing a day.

So hey please help me out on this one, leave comments, be critical, I'm open for every piece of advice.

latest painting (25/08/14)
    100%x

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cruptic; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some more anatomy today and my first 'over-2-hours' ps-painting.. gotta do that more often to pull something like that off faster but I still had lots of fun although no idea of colour

Name:  fj.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  472.3 KB

Name:  longboarddream2.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  248.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pushing anatomy

Anatomy day again! First picture is some older stuff I did a while ago (25/02/14) and the rest is from today, it's just crazy how the improvement motivates espacially because it just happens I didn't even realize those changes until I looked at the older stuff today ! :o
    Probably ready to look into light and shadow now see how that goes.
    If you guys have any pointers I wanna hear them, too early for critiques though I just have lots to learn..

Name:  DSC_3622.JPG
Views: 678
Size:  343.0 KB

Name:  DSC_3621.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  398.9 KB

Name:  DSC_3620.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  353.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is , you try to understand the body with the gesture and anatomy.

I advise you :

1) Work the gesture :

There are hugely style gesture :

- Borenstein and Vilppu ,

Mickael - hampton,

- Matessi ( The gesture is more accentuated animation).

Proko -

You can also see Steve Huston , kevin charles chen and hu . For these three people , the style seems to me the same gesture . I hope I am wrong and the construction with some differences.

link :

2) 2D-3D Shapes

Link and law forms 2d:

3D Work basic shapes ( cubes and ellipses ) and perspective, trying to get you scott robertson dvd # 1 basic, it is really good.

3) Anatomy and proportion : I advise you book Paul richer on anatomy and proportion translated by Paul beverly haul .

3) Lights and Shadows : all these artists have a light on topics and I have not worked on it , sorry.

Finally, I advise you to start with the book of Vilppu ( Vilppu drawing manual) which is really good , it has interesting exercises on shapes and gestures . As well as working perspective, I think it'll be good

good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to féfé73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot féfé93! If I got it right you're saying that I should concentrate more on gesture drawings than big sized drawings where I try to concentrate more on getting the muscles right? I'll do that in the next few days and see how that goes thanks for the advice
    I also bought Vilppus book now and hope it's good for learning, I'm learning with Bridgeman's "the human machine" and Loomis' "figure drawing for all it's worth" right now and I thought about gnomon's anatomy lessons as well they look pretty good! Any experiences there?

Now some art, did my first portrait in ps today and struggled quite a bit but kinda happy with the outcome

Name:  mamafinal.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  247.0 KB

An isolated 41 miles² island. No, seriously.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on that portrait there! I can't tell you about the Gnomon workshops, but there's plenty of other (cheaper) resources out there. Bridgman is a good one.

You'll want to keep practising basic shapes, it's practising the basics that allows you execute the advanced better. Also, as Fefe suggested, check out Vilppu.

Lastly, next time you do something like this, why not try refining your lines, or better yet, removing them? This gets rid of scribbled lines as a crutch and forces you to accentuate form or a well executed line.

Good luck, you're doing well!

Current sketchbook level: Kiddy Burger.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Hamburger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you aswell Captain Hamburger for your reply! I really appreciate it
    I kinda didn't want to finish that portrait because I was afraid to screw it up even more and cause I liked the sketchy look it still has I think mostly because it would take so much time to render it out til it would look decent.. I like focusing more on drawing/painting a lot of stuff than to stick with one drawing and trying to make it look perfect I hope that makes sense!

So I did like 5 hours of gesture drawings today and really tried to make my lines look 'alive' or bring in some movement but well it just got super messy for the most part and I'm not gonna upload this crazyness! I had lots of fun though and I'm feeling more confident now when I draw a sphere or something so that's cool thanks for the advice and I'll keep it up for the next few days and try to get some cleaner stuff that I can finally post here, too.

Here some older stuff I did few weeks ago, some loomis planes and a little photo study!

Name:  DSC_2726.JPG
Views: 648
Size:  258.5 KBName:  DSC_3401.JPG
Views: 646
Size:  306.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That portrait is pretty solid if you'd aske me. the studies are good, those will certainly help you improve.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Staal Sander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Staal thanks for showing by and your words!
    So today I got my hands on a copy of Scott Robertsons basic perspective DVD and I watched the whole thing like 2 times in a row, I was just amazed and blown away by his teaching and his way of doing these sketches! I read in Vilppu's Drawing Manual that he suggests to become a master of the box-shape so yeah I'm now trying to do that, really concentrating on basic shapes in perspective without anatomy or light or composition and I think this is great for learning, to break the fundamentals apart like that.
    So again thank you guys for helping and bringing me on this path!
    Here is a shape I created today after watching the DVD, now I just want to practice how to free hand sketch stuff like that

Name:  DSC_3628.JPG
Views: 641
Size:  292.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More perspective wuhu! Experienced a lot today with crazy shapes did some normal sketches then some free hand ones and I tried myself on a car for fun. Really never liked cars, that's probably the first one I drew since like primary school but it got fun although I totally messed up the perspective. Happy that I did it, now I know what I have to practice

Name:  DSC_3630.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  309.8 KB

Name:  DSC_3631.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  299.1 KB

Name:  DSC_3633.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  494.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!
    Took a long weekend 'off' and well there was no uploading possible here so there came none but now I'm back ahah!
    In the meantime I opened up a sketchbook on crimson daggers homepage under the same name (cruptic) so feel free to check the latest posts out there

Feels kinda lame now to post the same stuff in 2 sketchbooks but oh well I guess everybody does it like that?
    Anyway here's a little pleine-air-sketch I did a few days ago, got a little messy though

Name:  DSC_3636.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  480.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's up?! Today I wasn't very motivated on drawing the human figure so I decided to do something else:

Name:  cloudstudy2.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  49.7 KBName:  cloudscorse.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  137.0 KBName:  still1.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  87.1 KB

Not good at all but I'm trying to do something everyday so hopefully tomorrow's going to be better than this!
    Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys!
    Today I was quite happy with the stuff I did, I also came up with a weekly plan of things that I have to do every week at least (i.e. like 50 hands, 50 noses, you get it) and I can wait to practice all of that to get better every week and then compare the new and the old stuff

Here's some figure drawing from this morning, I did a lot of things digitally today again because I realized that's what I want to get good at and right now I'm far away from where I want to be! Anyway nothing finished there but I did some of these practice drawing of eyes (I used different mediums as well) and mouths because that's what I'm really really bad at

Name:  Unbenannt-1.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  328.3 KBName:  DSC_3666.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  110.7 KBName:  DSC_3680.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  103.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another daily sketchbook update! Did some figure drawing like every day here are examples and like around 50 noses just because I was again really bad at drawing noses! I'm still...

Name:  DSC_3685.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  354.6 KBName:  DSC_3681.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  429.4 KBName:  DSC_3682.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  269.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sketchers! Nothing much to upload today, I was working on shading digitally most of the time! Spent a good amount of time on one character but I couldn't finish it yet so she's maybe coming tomorrow

Name:  DSC_3689.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  326.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice sketchbook, I liked the eyes study and keep doing the 50's drwings.
    The last drawing was from reference? Because I think that the proportions are a little off, it's seem that is only 6 and half heads.

My Sketchbook

Be water my friend
    -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey acu and thanks you for the comment!Your totally right proportions are off, it was from reference yes and it kinda had a cool perspective but I wasn't able to get that
    Anyways I finished a full body study of a woman today that I began yesterday night so this is how she turned out!

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  114.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today I started on working on the skeleton and studying it, I got the Stephen Rogers Peck book for it and I will work my way through it in the next days or weeks.

Name:  DSC_3691.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  124.1 KBName:  DSC_3692.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  115.2 KBName:  DSC_3695.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  124.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work. Is the woman from life or pic reference? Anyway it's look very cool the face and hair is very well done, the proportions seems fine , the skin reflect the light like she was oiled. Maybe you could work a little more in her left arm and hand that are not as polished as the overall drawing

The skeleton are great too.

My Sketchbook

Be water my friend
    -Bruce Lee

24. The Following User Says Thank You to acu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acu thanks again for your comment! The women was pretty much only a black and white study from a photo. She was oiled indeed haha that made it fun to render her skin! And your right her arm is way too flat and unrendered compared to the rest.. I guess I just had enough of it

So as I said more skulls today, concentrated longer on the front view, side and back view are just roughly drawn I don't think they are that important for now but I'll keep practicing to draw the skull in every view and hopefully it's helpful for portraits
    I posted some gesture drawings from this morning, too. I do them now every day as a little warm up exercise just 60 second poses from different websites or whatever I can find on the internet!

Name:  DSC_3696.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  97.7 KBName:  DSC_3697.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  133.0 KBName:  DSC_3698.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  90.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today there was work outside to do but I still came up with a quick portrait study from photo reference.

Name:  quick portrait.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  88.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally I got through a few bad days, I still have nothing great to show and I'm feeling very unconfident with the stuff I do but anyways here are some ugly gesture drawings and some god guy I did looking at his statue

Name:  DSC_3817.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  97.3 KBName:  DSC_3816.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  100.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some digital scribbles for today

Name:  volcano.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  146.5 KBName:  disturbed2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  281.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arm study!

Name:  DSC_3820.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  135.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jumping into lighting today doing basical sphere stuff and doing a color study thing of skintones but yeah I failed on those.. anyways concentratiing on anatomy and color/lighting now because anatomy all the time makes my days pretty monotone! I hope I'm not doing to much different stuff but I have to learn it all anyways at some point...

Name:  spherelight.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  130.9 KBName:  spherel.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  57.0 KBName:  girl4.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  295.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing great, keep going. I suggest you to do more gestures, your figures looks stiff, to don't become too boring, go to the park and draw the people you see, try to take a picture of them with your mind, drawing the same pose and clothes, pay attention to the proportions. Also, instead of drawing from photos, pickup a mirror and paint yourself, the difference is amazing.
    When doing muscle studies, always think "How can I make this easy to remember?" Trying to draw every single muscle won't help you, always simplify, always work from big shapes to small details, even because a lot of those muscles are hidden under the skin, they will not show much. For example, when drawing a face, don't draw a eye, then try to draw the other eye, then the nose. Draw the entire head, draw the ears, decide were the eyes are in relation to the ear, were the nose is in relation to the eyes, but in the beginning they will be only circles and lines. etc, no details. (I have a thing with long, turtle like necks, don't notice :p )

Name:  Untitled-2.png
Views: 458
Size:  175.4 KB

Keep working hard, even if you feel you aren't improving, keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kashmir thank you for your awesome comment! Great point there I really should begin to draw more from life especially figures I think I've never done that so definitely I'll do some gesture drawing tomorrow and see how that goes, basically I try to do them every morning as warm up exercises but that way there never really good...
    And again great advice I will try to concentrate on doing this in the future! I have a big problem with starting super rough and I always tend to draw only outlines I'm that guy.. so thanks for pointing that out!

Here's some stuff from today, as you might notice that ribcage is super stiff and again only drawn with outlines haha..
    And then I focused a little bit on light again and spheres aand did some quick master studies of thomas moran, thomas cole and Joseph Wright but naah not happy with them either. But they were fun I gotta do them more often!

Name:  DSC_3821.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  106.1 KBName:  sphere.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  42.5 KBName:  master studies 06 06 14.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  151.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like I promised some gestures!
    The first page is how I really like doing them because they are done super fast just getting down the pose in general without caring about any muscles whatsoever and I can really sketch long curvy lines!
    On the second page I took a little bit more time and that's when it gets bad.. I loose my long curvy lines I care about single parts on the body and most of the time just screw those up.. those figures have some broken bones
    So I prefer doing these super fast but in general I don't feel like I'm improving much while doing these.. any advice or suggestions?!

Name:  gestures2.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  220.5 KB

Name:  gestures.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  252.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know the secret to spectacular figures, you can look at animations to try to pick some hints, all animators are very good with giving life to drawings, you can push just a little bit the stylization if you think it might help.
    So I think they look good, to improve the difficult, draw the gestures, then add the muscles, that is were gesture and the muscles studies you did come together. Always remember to simplify, good luck ^.^

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kashmir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kashmir thanks again for your nice comment and advice I'll try my best! Did a little travel trip to switzerland for 2 days tomorrow I will continue practicing and posting
    Someone told me to buy Scott Robertsons How to Draw book so that's something I'm gonna spend my time on!
    Here's a little sketch I did to improve my lines with the digital medium...

Name:  alice1.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  86.8 KB

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 180