Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The long way

Thanks

The long way

Hey there and welcome to my little sketchbook thread here

Alright some stuff about me, I am Julian, live in Germany and I began drawing and painting in Winter 2013. My goal is it to become professional.. pretty common thing here I think so yep, I really took it seriously with practicing everyday since May and so the big challenge is to get a job after one year of being totally concentrated on learning the basics/fundamentals of drawing and painting.. I wouldn't mind not getting a job so soon but I want my work to be on a certain level in May 2015.

I turned 20 in May and the plan is to teach myself everything I have to know with books and the internet and I hope it's gonna work out!
    I will be posting (almost) every day here and try to get to at least 8-10 hours of drawing a day.

So hey please help me out on this one, leave comments, be critical, I'm open for every piece of advice.

latest painting (25/08/14)
    100%x
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cruptic; August 25th, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Did some more anatomy today and my first 'over-2-hours' ps-painting.. gotta do that more often to pull something like that off faster but I still had lots of fun although no idea of colour

Name:  fj.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  472.3 KB

Name:  longboarddream2.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  248.9 KB

Thanks

Pushing anatomy

Anatomy day again! First picture is some older stuff I did a while ago (25/02/14) and the rest is from today, it's just crazy how the improvement motivates espacially because it just happens I didn't even realize those changes until I looked at the older stuff today ! :o
    Probably ready to look into light and shadow now see how that goes.
    If you guys have any pointers I wanna hear them, too early for critiques though I just have lots to learn..

Name:  DSC_3622.JPG
Views: 939
Size:  343.0 KB

Name:  DSC_3621.JPG
Views: 931
Size:  398.9 KB

Name:  DSC_3620.JPG
Views: 927
Size:  353.9 KB

Thanks
    That is , you try to understand the body with the gesture and anatomy.

I advise you :

1) Work the gesture :

There are hugely style gesture :

- Borenstein and Vilppu ,

Mickael - hampton,

- Matessi ( The gesture is more accentuated animation).

Proko -

You can also see Steve Huston , kevin charles chen and hu . For these three people , the style seems to me the same gesture . I hope I am wrong and the construction with some differences.

link :

2) 2D-3D Shapes

Link and law forms 2d:

3D Work basic shapes ( cubes and ellipses ) and perspective, trying to get you scott robertson dvd # 1 basic, it is really good.

3) Anatomy and proportion : I advise you book Paul richer on anatomy and proportion translated by Paul beverly haul .

3) Lights and Shadows : all these artists have a light on topics and I have not worked on it , sorry.

Finally, I advise you to start with the book of Vilppu ( Vilppu drawing manual) which is really good , it has interesting exercises on shapes and gestures . As well as working perspective, I think it'll be good

good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to féfé73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot féfé93! If I got it right you're saying that I should concentrate more on gesture drawings than big sized drawings where I try to concentrate more on getting the muscles right? I'll do that in the next few days and see how that goes thanks for the advice
    I also bought Vilppus book now and hope it's good for learning, I'm learning with Bridgeman's "the human machine" and Loomis' "figure drawing for all it's worth" right now and I thought about gnomon's anatomy lessons as well they look pretty good! Any experiences there?

Now some art, did my first portrait in ps today and struggled quite a bit but kinda happy with the outcome

Name:  mamafinal.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  247.0 KB

An isolated 41 miles² island. No, seriously.
    Thanks
    Nice job on that portrait there! I can't tell you about the Gnomon workshops, but there's plenty of other (cheaper) resources out there. Bridgman is a good one.

You'll want to keep practising basic shapes, it's practising the basics that allows you execute the advanced better. Also, as Fefe suggested, check out Vilppu.

Lastly, next time you do something like this, why not try refining your lines, or better yet, removing them? This gets rid of scribbled lines as a crutch and forces you to accentuate form or a well executed line.

Good luck, you're doing well!
    Current sketchbook level: Kiddy Burger.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Hamburger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you aswell Captain Hamburger for your reply! I really appreciate it
    I kinda didn't want to finish that portrait because I was afraid to screw it up even more and cause I liked the sketchy look it still has I think mostly because it would take so much time to render it out til it would look decent.. I like focusing more on drawing/painting a lot of stuff than to stick with one drawing and trying to make it look perfect I hope that makes sense!

So I did like 5 hours of gesture drawings today and really tried to make my lines look 'alive' or bring in some movement but well it just got super messy for the most part and I'm not gonna upload this crazyness! I had lots of fun though and I'm feeling more confident now when I draw a sphere or something so that's cool thanks for the advice and I'll keep it up for the next few days and try to get some cleaner stuff that I can finally post here, too.

Here some older stuff I did few weeks ago, some loomis planes and a little photo study!

Name:  DSC_2726.JPG
Views: 881
Size:  258.5 KBName:  DSC_3401.JPG
Views: 880
Size:  306.3 KB

Thanks
    That portrait is pretty solid if you'd aske me. the studies are good, those will certainly help you improve.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Staal Sander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Staal thanks for showing by and your words!
    So today I got my hands on a copy of Scott Robertsons basic perspective DVD and I watched the whole thing like 2 times in a row, I was just amazed and blown away by his teaching and his way of doing these sketches! I read in Vilppu's Drawing Manual that he suggests to become a master of the box-shape so yeah I'm now trying to do that, really concentrating on basic shapes in perspective without anatomy or light or composition and I think this is great for learning, to break the fundamentals apart like that.
    So again thank you guys for helping and bringing me on this path!
    Here is a shape I created today after watching the DVD, now I just want to practice how to free hand sketch stuff like that

Name:  DSC_3628.JPG
Views: 887
Size:  292.4 KB

Thanks
    More perspective wuhu! Experienced a lot today with crazy shapes did some normal sketches then some free hand ones and I tried myself on a car for fun. Really never liked cars, that's probably the first one I drew since like primary school but it got fun although I totally messed up the perspective. Happy that I did it, now I know what I have to practice

Name:  DSC_3630.JPG
Views: 861
Size:  309.8 KB

Name:  DSC_3631.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  299.1 KB

Name:  DSC_3633.JPG
Views: 869
Size:  494.2 KB

Thanks
    Hey guys!
    Took a long weekend 'off' and well there was no uploading possible here so there came none but now I'm back ahah!
    In the meantime I opened up a sketchbook on crimson daggers homepage under the same name (cruptic) so feel free to check the latest posts out there

Feels kinda lame now to post the same stuff in 2 sketchbooks but oh well I guess everybody does it like that?
    Anyway here's a little pleine-air-sketch I did a few days ago, got a little messy though

Name:  DSC_3636.JPG
Views: 865
Size:  480.7 KB

Thanks
    What's up?! Today I wasn't very motivated on drawing the human figure so I decided to do something else:

Name:  cloudstudy2.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  49.7 KBName:  cloudscorse.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  137.0 KBName:  still1.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  87.1 KB

Not good at all but I'm trying to do something everyday so hopefully tomorrow's going to be better than this!
    Peace

Thanks
    Hi guys!
    Today I was quite happy with the stuff I did, I also came up with a weekly plan of things that I have to do every week at least (i.e. like 50 hands, 50 noses, you get it) and I can wait to practice all of that to get better every week and then compare the new and the old stuff

Here's some figure drawing from this morning, I did a lot of things digitally today again because I realized that's what I want to get good at and right now I'm far away from where I want to be! Anyway nothing finished there but I did some of these practice drawing of eyes (I used different mediums as well) and mouths because that's what I'm really really bad at

Name:  Unbenannt-1.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  328.3 KBName:  DSC_3666.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  110.7 KBName:  DSC_3680.JPG
Views: 823
Size:  103.6 KB

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast