View testimonialsView Artwork
test
test
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Come In & Leave a Word - Study sketchbook - help appreciated

Hello!

Thanks for visiting my thread. I really like to draw and its been some time I started to take it seriously. It would be great and very appreciated to get some feedback and advices from you awesome artists around.

Thank you,

Tomas

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here it comes:

So here are some my latest studies and sketches. Sorry for quality its from phone. C&C welcome

Edit: are the imgs ok or too big? I know you can always zoom-out the page. but i want it to be comfortable. Thx

Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Last edited by 0ziRi5; May 8th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My friend Edward Taylor told me that I should try mapping shadows and showed me Friday Workshop Video from Watts Atelier about the topic (found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWErCqnYC0Q ). So here is my result. Im not very happy with the quality of the final. Not sure if is cos of shading or lack of anatomy. Definitely I screwed up the face, so im gonna do the selfportrait. I tried it before and it was a disaster, but ill show you what i get.

1.Lines > 2. mapped with halftones > 3. tryied to push it further with core and cast shadows

PS: I also sized down the images. Would be great hearing from you guys if its better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 0ziRi5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies oziri!you have a good feeling for form and anatomy,in some of the studies
    some areas are not as developed and fluent as the rest(the feet in that last study)
    and especially the hands and faces dont feel as structured as the rest of the pose in your other studies.

these are good foundations studies though,keep it up.
    oh and I would suggest to upload your studies in a 900x600 px resolution for better viewing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Stuff

Thank you for stopping by and kind words. I took your critique and did some studies. Feet from Bammes (seem little bit too complicated but i havent found better resource) and then few from quickposes. Definitely not enough and I should be more aware of whats happening under surface and be able to express it thru drawing. Also did selfportrait which honeslty look much better on paper. Also did one figure to train my eye and proportions and quick sketch from other day.

As always C&C is appreciated and it would be great if someone could point me what to study cos i feel a little bit lost. I think gaining confidence in lines, proportions, perspective and anatomy is important and painting skills and color should be next step, but i also dont want to get stuck. What do you guys think? How was (what is) your learning process?

Thanks

PS: I resized the imgs. Is it better?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

M. Hampton muscle studies

Inspired by Naranbaatars great studies of M. Hampton I started doing these:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies of hampton oziri,nice line work and feeling for bulk.

depending on where you wanna go with your art it would be cool to see variety in your studies(i was also
    obsessed with the figure for a while).
    so maybe delve into value and composition,industrial design type environment drawing or whatever else you find interesting.

you probably have some of you own resources and know these already but maybe to get you into value and
    other areas they can be a sort of appetizer to other areas of the foundation of drawing (perspective,value,composition,color)

1- www.ctrlpaint.com ]i use it not only for the information because the videos are really short
    but for the breakdown of the different foundation studies into simple exercises so you can focus on one thing at a time.

2-creative illustration and successful drawing by andrew loomis- not his most popular books
    but I love the way he breaks value and perspective into the key elements,really great books especially the text(which is crap in most drawing books) in the value section of creative illustration.

3-scott robertson-the how to draw book and the dvd's about perspective and rendering in value are
    great for drawing from imagination.

4-james gurney books and blog(the color and light book is excellent).

5-anything on the reily method which the watts atelier uses(saw the youtube link-great stuff!)
    andrew sonea kindly gave me some good advice about it on my sketchbook if you want to read it.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...88#post3656788

you probably know all these resources already so my general advice is to break down foundation studies
    into the main section of perspective,value,color,composition and then break each on of those sections to sub sections
    of particular studies whether its environments or figure drawing you will have to balance your time on the core fundamentals of drawing.

oh and if you want you sketchbook to be more fun and get more comments help someone else out with a critique(i am not active myself so there's hypocracy for you).

cheers!

Last edited by GrayPersona; May 12th, 2014 at 12:52 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GrayPersona: Thanks for your comment. You got some good points and i will definitely check stuff you posted (tere are few i didnt know ) also the post in your feed is excellent. Yeah I may be a little obssesed with a figure now, but i kinda feel its a good thing. It covers lots of fundamentals from construction, perspective, anatomy, shading and im sure we can say gesture, composition and others too, but im not focusing on them now. You`re rigth I need to start doing some shading a try to move my stuff more from lines to values. That could be a big deal. Also i want to practice portraits, I feel weak in that area. Anyways, good to see you here man

Here are some more hamptons stuff, I have more but my internet is broken today and im here from phone, so will upload more tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 3