Dakkus Composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Dakkus Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dakkus Composition 1.1

Hey guys my first time on this forum let me just say that everyones studies I have seen so far have been a little intimidating yet inspiring so keep up the good work!

Anyway here is my first study, I went for a movie still from the Lone wolf and Cub films. Took around an hour in total, I didnt want to post it at first because the more i look at it the more i notice how everything went wrong :<
    #1, Lone wolf and Cub/Shogun Assassin
    Name:  lonewolfandcub.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  52.7 KB

#2, The Moorish Warrior by William merritt chase
    Name:  Merritt-3hrsmall.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  397.2 KB
    Spent a lot more time on this one, around 3-4 hours, was disappointing to lose all the colourful patterns when I put it into greyscale. I found myself struggling to get all the smaller elements in so I need to work on that, all together it was a fun study.

Last edited by Dakkus; May 9th, 2014 at 12:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #3 NC Wyeth Captain nemo. As soon as i saw this i found myself in a staring contest... after I lost I decided to choose this for my next study. I enjoyed it alot but i wish i spent more time getting atleast an impression of all the details especially on the background but i got carried away and next thing i know my time is up
    Name:  Wyeth1hour20.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  134.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry about doing another wyeth study I am really enjoying his work but i am not sure if its okay for me to do more studies on him so ill go with someone different for the next one, I think i can do one more before I go to london comicon woo!
    Name:  wyethafricanwarrior1hr.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  225.8 KB
    This took an hour in total I think i over shot some of the highlights on the chest.

feeling a little disappointed by the lack of feedback I don't really have the confidence to start criticizing other peoples work without knowing where I am at myself, maybe other people feel the same?

#5 Ralph Mcquarrie - 1hour
    He has been a long inspiration for me I love how crisp and detailed he can be with his work, I noticed that he helped to show conflict in this piece by clashing the rhythms.
    Name:  ralph_mcquarriestudy.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  145.4 KB
    was really hard not to get caught up in all the small details around I think i shouldve also taken more time in trying to make edges sharper and getting the values right.

Bleh just noticed i forgot the guns on the ship woops, but thats me done for the weekend more on monday hopefully

Last edited by Dakkus; May 29th, 2014 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Last image didnt seem to have uploaded properly

Thanks
    Thanked 11,289 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. You are showing improvement over time, which is great to see. That's important on this assignment and you are on the right track. I would recommend that you add a "check all my values starting with the big shapes" quality control pass into your process. You got so close on the most recent painting, which made me happy as I was wrapping my brain around your challenges you are taking head on with value. You can get closer. For example, the light value you put on the drapery that moves up and over his shoulder...the far shoulder. Yours is lit by a stronger light. Be sure you are comparing both images at the same time in your peripheral vision, when checking the quality of your values. Looking into a hand held mirror can help too. Just be sure you check your values, starting with the biggest shapes and moving down. Once those are on point you will see a big jump as you are getting close. Keep it up!

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback Jason!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dakkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really wish I wasn't in the situation i was in so i could focus more on this but you know life gives you lemons or something I dunno, anyway after a 3 weeks I am back on my feet and able to rekindle my passion.

#6 NC Wyeth (again) Robinson Crusoe - 1 hour 30min
    Name:  ncwyethrobinsoncrusoe.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  840.2 KB
    Apologies for doing nc wyeth again but I really enjoy studying his work - This one turned out to be harder then i thought with the clothes especially. I notice that wyeth captures the stranded and lonely ambiance with a rough and almost random rhythm contrasted to the calm empty sea in the background.
    I was suspicious about the reference image and I later found the original image was bigger with more sea and the main emphasis was on the right which pushes that mood even further but I had already finished :< A note for next time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #7 Frazetta, Golum - 1 hour 30min

Name:  Frazetta_Golum1hour.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  694.0 KB

I find frazetta very hard there is just so much to be done but I did what I could after an hour, then I looked back at it and really didnt like what I had done so I spent abit more time getting some more of the smaller shapes into there, could not figure out how to do the big rock in the background but other then that I think im gonna do some more studies of frazetta to try suss him out abit more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please try introducing a bit more surface texture...you are choosing images where surface is very important to edge and mood so use some textured brushes to capture some of that and you will see a good boost in quality here.

You are doing good work...keep it up and good to see the update too.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I haven't really had much practice with textured brushes, been a little scared of overdoing it but I understand your point and am gonna try researching it some more.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds good. Google search for brushes from Jaime Jones, Whit Brachna and Kekai Kotaki. Those guys have brushes out that are pretty darn nice so that should help. Just spend a couple hours experimenting. You will find some you can begin using right away and if you just start making a mess like kids with finger paints you will not have to worry about messing something up...just make some abstract paintings and scribble around and you should be just fine finding good brushes.

jm

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 6