Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

myths about drawing

Hi! In your journey through art, did you notice any myths?
    like:

-"drawing is hard", no drawing is easy, just make a mark on the paper. Sometimes people give up before even pickin up the pencil.

-"there's nothing to draw" open your eyes, there's a lot of interesting stuff to draw. and after a few tries you start to notice a lot more stuff to draw.

-"i need years to get good" you can learn something new in just one day, like drawing mandalas or drawing a cat.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sketxz View Post
    -"drawing is hard", no drawing is easy, just make a mark on the paper. Sometimes people give up before even pickin up the pencil.
    Drawing is more than making a mark: it is hard.

-"there's nothing to draw" open your eyes, there's a lot of interesting stuff to draw. and after a few tries you start to notice a lot more stuff to draw.
    The job of an artist is to show the beauty that others do not see: agreed.

-"i need years to get good" you can learn something new in just one day, like drawing mandalas or drawing a cat.
    You can learn new things, but it takes years to become good.

Let me add some myths:
    - In a world of tablets, there is no need for drawing: look around you, draftsmen will soon be extinct
    - Drawing is easier than painting
    - Real artists paint, sculpt, animate, whatever: drawing is just a preliminary step

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Yes I guess I need to accept that drawing is hard and it takes years. Well at least it's not like a video game that you finish in 2 weeks, it's a lifetime study.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Some of the most annoying myths:

"You either have talent or you don't. If you have talent then drawing is easy and if you don't then you can never learn how to do it."

"Artists just close their eyes and imagine something and then copy what they see in their head."

"You can't use reference or look at anyone else's art, because if it doesn't come from inside you and nowhere else then it's CHEATING."

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I always thought the "using reference is cheating" thing was a little odd.

Look at Dürer's Rhinoceros woodcut: he was a great artist, but having nothing to go on but written notes and descriptions it turned out looking sort-of like a rhino. "Sort-of" is still far off from a realistic depiction though (which would have been the aim of the piece I guess).
    Name:  ps090470_l.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  233.9 KB

"So convincing was Dürer's fanciful creation that for the next 300 years European illustrators borrowed from his woodcut, even after they had seen living rhinoceroses without plates and scales." - https://www.britishmuseum.org/explor...hinoceros.aspx

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I'd say it really depends on the type of drawing. I wouldn't agree that its entirely a myth but yes, some people don't even try and therefore have no right in saying that.

Snort. Ikr.

To learn something is one thing, to get good is another, or a.k.a. Diligence.

I'd also add another one, that I've heard way too many times:

"I can't draw".

There's no such thing as 'I can't draw'.
    Its like saying 'I can't cook' or 'I can't ride a bike'.
    Or 'I can't write'.
    You just haven't been sincere enough.

Some people do have 'talent', in a sense - they pick things up faster, see connections quicker and hence can implement them in art before others. But that likely applies to them in other things as well, not strictly for art, so you can't say its unfair or it doesn't exist in that way. Just like how people excel at math or languages, or how some people have a better memory.

That's certainly not to say that those without talent cannot art. -use of word yes hahaha-
    Art is expression, inspiration and technique learnt from experience, not simply a subject breached to achieve excellence. There's no clear-cut method to excel, so in a sense,everyone starts from ground one.

Therefore, no matter how 'talented' you are, everyone has to practice before they can achieve a standard in art. It's obvious when someone screws a technique due to lack of practice.

Another one that I've realised time again to be bloody annoying is when someone makes up excuses for errors in their piece. Such as:

"My [insert tool] isn't as good as ____." or "My [tool] is hard to draw with."

Yeah. It's always the fault of the pen's thickness, or the room lighting that your piece came out bad. If anything is wrong, its your lack of willpower to achieve the standard you desire. There's nothing wrong with your tool - you're just not used to it.

Whether you use a soft 2H pencil, or a dark 4B, an old paintbrush with splayed bristles or fancy nylon ones, digital medium or traditional, quality or average paper, Bamboo Fun or Cintiq 13HD, even a mouse or a charcoal stick – it doesn't bloody matter.

"The Tools make the Artist" — no. It is the Artist that molds the potential out of his/her tools.

Nobody should make excuses because they think their tools are inadequate. You could be using an LCD professional tablet yet someone else with a mouse and scanner can rival your work because you make excuses and don't push yourself.

The first rule of art should always be to rely on yourself and never blame your tools. If there's something wrong with your piece, its your skills that are lacking. Unless, of course, you have other reasonable factors in your life.

So instead of saying "My [tool] is hard to draw with", say "I'm not used to my [tool]". And then it would be perfectly fine to say "I'm good at this" instead of "My tools make me good at this". Makes sense, yes?

My whole point though, is that if you're any good, you can make anything work.

And of course, to be good you'll have to practice. :3

Last edited by Auxuris; May 9th, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
    "In yourself right now is all the place you've got."
    "There's no failure except in no longer trying."
    "Practice not just till you get it right, but till you never get it wrong."
    "Seven times down, eight times up."

R O O
    sketchbook | deviantART

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Auxuris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Auxurus
    That's a huge chunk of text if i ever saw one! But i agree on the most parts.
    I agree with you especially on the whole 'talent' business.
    It backfired for me in a very interesting way. When i was younger i used to doodle and copy stuff a lot and was always being told "hurr durr you so talented!" by everyone around me, so i naturally started to believe it. But when i wanted to draw stuff from my imagination that looked great in my mind it turned out to be the worst thing since Hitler. After this i wanted to punch everyone in the face who told me i was 'talented'.
    Looking back I wish someone had told me that my art looked like shit because i wasn't practicing and had no understanding of what i was doing.

Also the "My/his/her art is not bad, it's just my/his/her style!" seems to have become a drawing myth that is quite popular among teeangers these days.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A myth I really hate - you're an artist, right, so you can draw AAAAANYTHIIIING! In absolutely any style, with no reference needed - right?

I used to do airbrush t shirts, and this is what people seemed to think. They also thought I could somehow read their minds and figure out precisely what they wanted even though they were utterly unable to express it clearly or show me anything similar. -- "No - not like that… more, well, you know - different!" and then comes the part where they get mad at me because of their inability to explain what they want. Pfft!!

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "Draw what you see, not what you think."

This one drives me crazy. My eyes trick me all the time. I see something and draw it only to realize that since I didn't understand what I was seeing, I drew it badly and that if I had put some more thought into it, it might have turned out better. Of course, I suppose that means I just need to get better at looking at what I'm actually looking at while I'm drawing.

Account Jumper.

My Sketch Book

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Some of the most annoying myths:

"You either have talent or you don't. If you have talent then drawing is easy and if you don't then you can never learn how to do it."

"Artists just close their eyes and imagine something and then copy what they see in their head."

"You can't use reference or look at anyone else's art, because if it doesn't come from inside you and nowhere else then it's CHEATING."
    yes, veneris i have heard these said too :-)

Thanks
    i think everyone can do it, as soon as they start being less ignorant, like some of the people in this thread are being.

Thanks
    Regarding the talent myth, it's true that lack of talent doesn't mean you're unable to be good at the particular thing you lack talent at; it just means you have to work a lot harder (and perhaps longer) than a talented person to achieve the same level of proficiency.

I once met a very talented artist who hardly put any study in, so I guess that talent also affects one's practice-to-study ratio that determines what efforts are needed to become proficient.

Oh, and I remembered another myth I found, which I find all over the internet.
    Person 1: What can I do to become good at drawing? :insertdetailshere:
    Person 2: Just practice! Really, that's just it!

If mere practice alone was enough to make one proficient, people wouldn't need books like Loomis', or even art schools, for that matter.

Thanks
    one mans myth is another mans genius.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6